Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Callaway Corvette Speedster!

jaymcminn

So I started a WIP thread for this one a while ago, but got derailed about halfway through the build... this is the Monogram Callaway Speedster, painted in Tamiya Pearl Green with the interior painted in Rustoleum Lagoon Blue over black flocking. The color combination is reminiscent of the box model/prototype, but toned down a  little bit. A lot of work went into getting this thing to sit properly on the Fujimi OZ Futura wheels- OOB this kit sits way too high. The instrument panel was photo reduced from an Ebay ad! This kit was loaded with sinkholes and flash and the part fit was fairly atrocious, but it wound up looking pretty decent. This is pretty much par for the course for Monogram's 80's/90's sports car kits... lots of complexity and decent detail, but they require some work to produce a good replica. On to the pics!

IMG_20200330_153631.jpg

IMG_20200330_153839.jpg

IMG_20200330_153641.jpg

IMG_20200330_153741.jpg

IMG_20200330_153811.jpg

Nice work! Monogram's Vette kits were fickle, especially with the hood and the glass fitments. How bad did the one piece glass affair and hood fit go once all the motor and radiators were in?

Have one of these unstarted (that was checked and had parts de warped by me) in my stash, seeing yours makes me want to start it and hope things go for the best. I had attempted to build one of these about 12 years ago, but my kit was so warped and bent on top of the poor hood and glass fit, that it got scrapped and recycled for other projects.

Edited by RickRollerLT1

7 hours ago, RickRollerLT1 said:

Nice work! Monogram's Vette kits were fickle, especially with the hood and the glass fitments. How bad did the one piece glass affair and hood fit go once all the motor and radiators were in?

Have one of these unstarted (that was checked and had parts de warped by me) in my stash, seeing yours makes me want to start it and hope things go for the best. I had attempted to build one of these about 12 years ago, but my kit was so warped and bent on top of the poor hood and glass fit, that it got scrapped and recycled for other projects.

Thanks Rick! The hood and glass fit were an absolute nightmare. This thing very nearly went back in the box due to the fitment challenges. The glass unit tends to be pushed up at the front because of interference by the dashboard, so I took a lot of material off the leading edge of the dashboard where the windshield rests against it in addition to tweaking the fit of the dash to the interior tub to get it to seat properly. The hood needed material removed from the underside at the rear where it contacts the windshield unit as well as the "valley" between the hood bulges which contacts the intake plenum. I also built a nifty sliding system to seat the front valance that allowed me to shim it for a good fit in the final assembly. I vaguely remember building the '85 coupe when it came out and it didn't give 15 year old me that much trouble, but all the changes made to represent the radically different Speedster seem poorly engineered compared to the original. Good luck on yours!

Despite the described problems this turned out very nice. I never understood the interior / exterior color combination. Very cleanly detailed trim and engine.. Those wheels add that little something extra to the appearance.  

1 hour ago, espo said:

Despite the described problems this turned out very nice. I never understood the interior / exterior color combination. Very cleanly detailed trim and engine.. Those wheels add that little something extra to the appearance.  

The lime green over electric blue wasn't even the craziest one... there's a purple one with a pink/rose leather interior over maroon carpet. Thanks man!

I like what I see! IThis kit is rare to find as built up. When I read About the Trouble you've had, I know why ;) Good, that you managed the issues! The result Looks great. The rims are very nice on it. It Looks like they Always were on the kit. Well done!