Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Ford Pickup Street Rod

Ever had a kit just kick your butt over the years?  This is my third or fourth attempt at building this truck.  I'm not going to let it lick me this time.

40ford2.jpg

Horrible fitment on everything.  Warped, sink holes, flash for miles.  

After much work, I have it sitting level at least.  Oh and I actually got the door hinges kind right.  :)  I'm getting rid of the front bumper.  Not sure what kind of wheel/tire combo I'm thinking of yet.

40ford1.jpg.e36ec3f078a8bb64e560cffed5f987cc.jpg

Edited by jdhog
Pictures out of order

Good start. I've had 4 or 5 over the years. The only one I completed (that came out right) was the older issue molded in yellow. I polished the plastic and left it yellow. The old guy who bought it refused to believe it wasn't the red one with paint applied. 

13 hours ago, Rbray47 said:

Good start. I've had 4 or 5 over the years. The only one I completed (that came out right) was the older issue molded in yellow. I polished the plastic and left it yellow. The old guy who bought it refused to believe it wasn't the red one with paint applied. 

That's funny.

It's resisting with all it's might.  The paint orange peeled horribly.  It's in the purple pond.  :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

2 hours ago, Painted Black said:

Yeah, that can get on the nerve. Maybe try weathering? I know its not for every one, but it has saved me tons of money.

Working on this one right now, it had been painted and stripped so much i can not remember how many colors I tried,

DSCN5084.JPG

Nice!  That's a good idea.

21 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Last go I'd attempted with that sabre tooth kit was 30 years ago . Never even finished it ; one of the few kits that I actually threw-away in its entirety ! 

Assembling that thing is like trying to set stones in a watch using your butt cheeks !

Thanks for that visual! Some things can't be un-seen you know!!

Having purchased that kit many years ago (an 80's issue), I wouldn't necessarily call it "terrible," but it certainly is dated in engineering. The hinged doors are not very well executed, but as some builders in this thread have illustrated, this can be worked around to still end up with a good looking model. Posing it with the doors open minimizes the door gaps/fit, and scale of the hinges some, allowing the rest of the build to be showcased. 

While I would much rather start with a kit made to the standards of the 90's or newer, if you want to build this particular truck (which is one of Henry's better efforts IMHO),  this kit is still the only game in town. With this one still relatively available, it wouldn't make the most sense for a kit manufacturer to do a modern take on a new release. I may get the bug to have another go at this kit one day, but with so many great kits in the stash it will have to wait.

Could you put that body on the Foose 56 frame?  That might be interesting and help with some issues.   I have one but never got very far into it.  I think I bought it not long after Tim Boyd built his roadster verion for the other magazine.  Open it, look at it, mess with it.  Put it back up for a time when my head is ready for it.  lol