Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa Jaguar XJ-S TWR!

jaymcminn

I finally got time (maybe a little too much) to take some pictures of builds I've completed over the last several months and will be posting them up. This is the Hasegawa Jaguar XJ-S in TWR spec. This kit dates back to the mid-80's and is an extremely nice kit overall. Any issues, much like the Monogram Callaway Speedster I posted yesterday, come from the modifications to the original tool to produce the TWR version. The narrow wheels of the original release tuck up correctly into the rear wheelwells and the stance is correct for the standard car. Unfortunately the sharp TWR wheels are a bit wide for the stock wheelwells and the stance isn't modified from stock. To make things sorta fit, Hasegawa uses very low-profile tires that protrude from the body and make the whole thing look awkward. I found some parts-box tires with a little more meat on the sidewalls and narrowed the track as much as possible without mini-tubbing the rear end. The front suspension  was lowered by a scale 3" and the rear by a bit less for a nice rake. Paint is Testors MM Dark Cherry Pearl over Tamiya Champagne Gold on the wheels and lower body. Exterior trim was masked and airbrushed in Model Master Acryl Semi-gloss black. Interior is Tamiya Gunship Grey. Although I painted the rear wing, I eventually decided to leave it off. Fortunately the TWR side skirts and valances fit beautifully, although I did add styrene mounting points to help in final fitment. I did some basic engine wiring, although to create a more accurate portrayal of the engine bay I could have just balled a bunch of wire up and crammed it under the hood! (Google XJ-S engine bay if you don't believe me...it's a scary sight) On to the pics!

IMG_20200330_154757.jpg

IMG_20200330_154938.jpg

IMG_20200330_155016.jpg

IMG_20200330_155034.jpg

Turned out nice!

I've loved these cars for a long time, and have wanted this kit for a while.

It's funny, last night I was watching tv and stumbled across a show called "Salvage Hunters CLassic Cars," and they found one of these in almost the exact same colours you used. And they turned it back to stock.

807807656_jag1.jpg.561a7a4e02ab8a3e5706c1516ebeb12a.jpg

That is uncanny. I was researching this build online and never saw this color combination, and here it is! By "turned back to stock" do you mean they removed the TWR bits? That would be insanity! This is a great kit overall, and well worth picking up. Other than the ride height/suspension issues, the only thing I recommend paying attention to is the panel lines, which definitely benefit from some deepening, and the hood fit which takes a little tweaking to get the hood more or less flush.

18 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

That is uncanny. I was researching this build online and never saw this color combination, and here it is! By "turned back to stock" do you mean they removed the TWR bits? That would be insanity! This is a great kit overall, and well worth picking up. Other than the ride height/suspension issues, the only thing I recommend paying attention to is the panel lines, which definitely benefit from some deepening, and the hood fit which takes a little tweaking to get the hood more or less flush.

Yup! The two hosts were arguing over it. The one guy loved the TWR stuff and wanted to leave them. THe other guy was a purist and thought it was all tacky and ruined the classic lines. End result...ALL of the TWR bodykit and wheels were removed and original parts went on. Turned out beautifully, but I would have left it all TWR.

Beautiful model (although I'm one of the purists).  I have the kit of the stock version, and planning on building it someday.  Nice to see how well it looks, and that it builds well. After examining the finely molded kit parts I suspected that it would go together nicely. Looks like Tamiya quality.

11 hours ago, peteski said:

Beautiful model (although I'm one of the purists).  I have the kit of the stock version, and planning on building it someday.  Nice to see how well it looks, and that it builds well. After examining the finely molded kit parts I suspected that it would go together nicely. Looks like Tamiya quality.

It's right up there with what Tamiya was doing at the time. It goes together well and the engraving is top notch. I would have liked more positive locating points for the front and rear valances and headlights (fit the headlights with the hood/grille assembly in place to avoid gaps and/or interference with the grille) but there wasn't anything that a reasonably skilled builder couldn't easily overcome. Thanks!