Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible., lost on route 66 ;)

Jeffcad

Hi guys !

Sharing with you my newest build. Made from a damaged JoHan's 1971 Coupe Eldorado promo, this convertible is starting a new life. New metallic paint and clear coats, new wheels and white walls, detailed interior and dash, soft boot, etc... After a long sleep rusting in a barn, the caddy now enjoys the quite roads of Route 66 :). A special thanks for the beautiful diorama made from a talented friend of mine. Times are hard now, so keep safe everybody. Cheers !

Eldo1-71JPG.JPG

Eldo2-71.JPG

Eldo3-71.JPG

Eldo4-71.JPG

Eldo5-71.JPG

Eldo6-71.JPG

Eldo7-71.JPG

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 5:11 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Great built, as usual! The setting is also world-class, bravo!

Just curious: what is the paint used? It looks like the "sandalwood" shade that was popular back then...

CT

Hi Claude, merci beaucoup ! :) 

As I don't have nor know how to paint with an airbrush yet I am still using spray ones. You know it's tough to get real metallic auto paint now here so Dupli-colors are almost the only ones I use. Once the world will come back to normal, you'll be able to find these paints in Canadian Tire shops. This Eldo wears "Mocha Frost Metallic". It's a gold with a light tone of copper in it. Then sprayed with clear coats that I sand by hand to a mirror finish. First I wanted to find something close to the real 1971 Cadillac "Almond Firemist" color,  but nothing was available...Thanks again, and stay safe !.

Edited by Jeffcad

9 hours ago, Jeffcad said:

Hi Claude, merci beaucoup ! :) 

As I don't have nor know how to paint with an airbrush yet I am still using spray ones. You know it's tough to get real metallic auto paint now here so Dupli-colors are almost the only ones I use. Once the world will come back to normal, you'll be able to find these paints in Canadian Tire shops. This Eldo wears "Mocha Frost Metallic". It's a gold with a light tone of copper in it. Then sprayed with clear coats that I sand by hand to a mirror finish. First I wanted to find something close to the real 1971 Cadillac "Almond Firemist" color,  but nothing was available...Thanks again, and stay safe !.

Salut!

Thanks for the infos. You made the best of your circumstances, bravo! I could have bet it was the "real" color...

CT