Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johnny Rutherford's Last Indy Ride

Lizard Racing

In 1988 Johnny Rutherford, three-time winner, drove a Lola-Buick for Kenny Bernstein Racing at Indy.  Unfortunately, he crashed out early in the race.  Rutherford had rides for '89 and '90, but failed to qualify.

This is the Monogram kit of which the put out a series of Indy cars in the '90s.  There is a decent level of detail and the car goes together well.  However since this is an original issue, the  decals are VERY fragile and can come apart easily.

r1.jpg.abfab43fe7277657eb3caac167d96c31.jpg

This is nearing completion with the side pods and front wings to be attached.

r3.jpg.2a4ecf40215775bb01cb419f171d7270.jpg

if you build one of these, make a copy of the decal sheet to use as a map for the color schemes.  I did a dumb thing and got the colors backwards on the engine cover. So in the pond it went.

r4.jpg.cbe1960b14bdf08cfddfb6c44ae18448.jpg

As i was saying about the decals ... the numbers gave the most trouble.  This looks worse because the engine cover is not fully on.

r5.jpg.69a8f0b44d51df198b84f57610fa3496.jpg

This side came out slightly better. I beheaded the driver figure and used the helmet as a display piece.

This is a good kit but be careful.  I would assume the others in the series would have similar problems.