Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2020 IH 4300 Transtar

This is a late post -- so it should not be considered "in the running" for the contest prize (or anything else).

I just am interested in FINISHING a project -- and hopefully a little encouragement will help me along (plus the fact that the COVID thing has me trapped at home and I can't travel for work for the foreseeable future!).

Stay safe!

4300.jpg

This build off is not really about "Winning" some prize or even the competition, but about us all building together and encouraging each other to build a great truck and finish it. I see no reason why you can't be included in that also. Late or not, you have started long bofore the deadline. 

Anyway, looks like you are off to a good start. 

Scott said it perfect,  having fun while building and sharing your progress is winning ! Theres no better feeling finishing a project , dont let a time line dictate it ! We're all here cheering ya on..a few of us are laid off and this actually has worked in our favor lol 

Stay safe and have fun 

Thanks !

I've been reminding myself that it doesn't need to be "perfect" -- I think sometimes I spend too much time on every little imperfection and then I don't get stuff finished.  Plus... when it gets to the painting I can guarantee it ain't gonna be anywhere near "perfect"!  For this project, I've been telling myself something a good friend of mine used to say...   "make it done !".

Or ...  as Charlie says...    "Keep 'er movin' !"   ?

Edited by Goodwrench3
Use smaller picture

Perfection is a fantasy, every build you ever see that looks perfect to you, the builder knows of atleast one thing that drives them nuts.

have fun and build away, as long as you’re seeing improvement in every build, you’re doing the right thing .

Just finishing assembling the rear axles now.

Here's where my nervousness sets in.  I'm not sure exactly how to make sure that all 8 tires are going to be on the ground at the same time after the axles are glued to the suspension ??  I seem to need to do some sanding on the area where the axles set in the suspension arms so that they rest fully "seated" -- and that is why I'm concerned that when I'm done all the paws are on the ground.  It's always a "nail biting" part of the assembly for me.  LOL.

This kit doesn't have the metal axle through the axles that you can just slide the hubs on and off -- it has the "snap-on" inner wheels and I don't want to snap them on before I paint the frame assembly.

Suggestions welcome !

axle.jpg

Hi all:

Further to the question above,  does anyone have any info (or 1:1 pics) of the rear axles and the torque rods on the 4300 ?   The instructions for the 4270 and the 4300 are opposite of each other as far as how the rods are oriented (i.e. which direction the side with the pin is on goes).  In the 4270 instructions it shows the pin toward the axle housing.  In the 4300 instructions, it shows the pins toward the frame cross member  ?

Thanks!

4270.jpg

4300.jpg

I usually snip off the tips of the axle posts that snap into wheel backs so I can remove as needed. When I'm ready to permanently install them, a touch of super glue locks em 

Far as the torque rods go, if the crossmember has a notch in them, stick the end w pin there..have the lollipop end at the axle . Some have a small hole , or notch they sorta fit..

I'll dig out my 4300 parts truck tomo for a look, havent really taken a good look 

15 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

I usually snip off the tips of the axle posts that snap into wheel backs so I can remove as needed. When I'm ready to permanently install them, a touch of super glue locks em 

Far as the torque rods go, if the crossmember has a notch in them, stick the end w pin there..have the lollipop end at the axle . Some have a small hole , or notch they sorta fit..

I'll dig out my 4300 parts truck tomo for a look, havent really taken a good look 

Hey thanks for the reply.  You are correct.  I really didn't look at the cross member - I just assumed it was the same as in the 4270.

In fact, there are locating holes on both sides of the cross member for the pins on the torque rods.

Thanks for the advice on the axle posts -- I guess the wheels don't really need to turn - it's not like it's going to be going anywhere  ?

rods_location.jpg

Hi all: 

Another couple questions that I need some help on to "keep 'er movin'" ...

The assembly of the rear drive wheels --  there is a middle ring that goes between the inner and outer wheels (part #74).  The ring itself is "beveled" -- but the instructions really aren't clear as to which side should go toward the inner or outer wheel ?   It's hard to see in the pic below, but it slopes down from right to left in the pic.  The outer wheel also has a "cone" shape to it.  

And, what color are you normally painting the inner wheel ?  You won't hardly see the middle ring so that's not too important.

Thanks!

wheel_inst.jpg

ring.jpg

outer.jpg

I found a YouTube video that showed the wheel pieces assembled -- it looks like the cone shaped middle piece is installed with the smaller end towards the outer wheel.

What's the best way to check the installation of the axles to make sure all the wheels are going to sit on the ground with the frame level before cementing the axles in place ?   I been trying different ways of trying to clamp the axles temporarily and measuring and nothing is really working -- too many pieces at once.  If I need to do any shimming anywhere, it would be good to know before the axles are permanently glued in place.

Thanks for your help !

2020-04-12_12-44-07.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK - both rear axles are on now and my measurements show that they are exactly level and at the same height.

Hoping to get some primer on the engine this weekend -- we're supposed to be at 60 deg. and since I have to paint in the garage I'm guessing I don't dare even try to spray primer below 60 deg. ?

Next up is repositioning the front axle, since it is too far back out of the box.

4300.jpg

Edited by Goodwrench3
add photo

23 hours ago, blackbeard said:

Pinvise drill bits

Thanks --  I found mine and of course I don't have all the bits.  LOL.   The 0.0470" I have is close -- just a tad small.  And a 1/16" is too big.  The 0.0540" is probably just the ticket --  and is the one I'm missing from mine.  I'll check my local shop Monday.

That area between the wheel and the hub should be black, I think.  What's an easy way to paint that without making a mess?  I don't have the steadiest hand.  LOL.

I was thinking of maybe flowing some wash in that grove -- maybe a couple of times ?   Or possibly using a water-based acrylic paint so that if I slipped and got some on the rim, I could easily wipe it off with a Q-tip ? 

Any help welcome.  And thanks in advance.

54766634724648bc9bbd039c225350b8.jpg

Edited by Goodwrench3
add photo