Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2020 IH 4300 Transtar

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how y'all do it, up there.... No way I could deal with cold weather... I remember back in the Marine Corps cold weather training just wasn't my thing... Korea... Hated it!!!!!  The weather was an awesome 75 degrees, today... I feel for y'all, Man....

Now that I got the front axle location sorted out on the 4270, time to work on it for the 4300.   I test fitted the hood, cab, and front axle and it's the same story as with the 4270 -- so this will be the work over the next couple of nights.

Note in the photo -- that isn't the kit tire.  I just can't seem to bring myself to use those Goodyear tires in the Round 2 kit -- they look like float tires that should be on the front axle of a dump truck I think.  Here's a comparison of (1)  the 4270 kit wheel and kit tire   (2)  the 4300 kit wheel and Mobius tire  and (3)  the 4300 kit wheel and kit Goodyear tire.

What do you guys think ?   The Goodyears are supposed to be 11.00-20.  I also compared them to some 20's I got from KJ and the Goodyears are way bigger than those too.

4300axle.jpg

wheels.jpg

tires.jpg

I've moved the axle forward about 0.060" -- better, but looks like it needs to go a bit further yet.

I got a set of the replacement AMT tires (that's one of them in the test fitting picture) -- much better size than the "float" tires in the kit  ? 

moved.jpg

newtires.jpg

Well, the "paint spirits" were smiling down on us today in Wisconsin -- great day - temp. was about 70 deg and the humidity was about 37% this afternoon.

So I got some painting done.

I got the engine painted, and some of the interior pieces -- I decided to copy the colors from a Transtar Eagle brochure that I have -- the "leather brown" color is almost a perfect match to the color in the brochure (the pictures may not show it so well).

4300_ENG.jpg

4300_INT.jpg

Eagle-20-1024x789.jpg

sleeper.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, the paint spirits were smiling down on us again this past weekend here in southern Wisconsin.  We had a break in the humidity and a fairly calm day, so I was able to get the frame painted in the garage.

Will be working on getting the "boat anchor" installed this week.  I also got a bit of the interior done -- still need to paint the cab shell interior before painting the cab and hood.

4300.jpg

On 7/20/2020 at 9:35 PM, Pete68 said:

Looks good. Hard to believe this is the same engine the used in the 1468 International tractor 

Lee if I'm not mistaken the 1468 had the DV550 IH v-8 diesel and the v-800 engines were used in the big 4568, 4586 and the 4786 tractors.

Great progress on this build!

On 7/24/2020 at 7:15 PM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Lee if I'm not mistaken the 1468 had the DV550 IH v-8 diesel and the v-800 engines were used in the big 4568, 4586 and the 4786 tractors.

Great progress on this build!

Yeah, our Lowbed tractor had the DV 550, and I remember the valve covers were silver and had the IH emblem on them..... good engine, had lots of torque...............