Model Cars Magazine Forum

Major screw up with my paint and I need help

So last night after I have spent more time than I know on my paint I dripped two small drops of paint on the hood of my Porsche 911 I am building. It basically ruined the paint on the hood.   I had painted with lacquer and cleared.  The paint is polished and sanded.  It was about my best paint job ever.  Okay so it is only the hood (bonnet) so I figured I could sand and reprime and paint that area and should be able to blend it.  My question is.  What grade of sand paper would you recommend?  I have the 3200-12000 grit polish paper but I don't think that will work and I do have some 1500 grit but that is pretty light too.  I don't want to go to gritty and would prefer going maybe just down to the primer if possible.  Thanks everyone.   

Since it sound like you want to try sanding the drops out I would suggest starting with the highest # grit sand paper you have. You can always go to a courser grit if need be. I would try wet sanding with the very lightest of pressure and check your progress after about every other stroke. I hope this isn't some shade of Silver or another Metallic color or a Candy  color. 

6 minutes ago, espo said:

Since it sound like you want to try sanding the drops out I would suggest starting with the highest # grit sand paper you have. You can always go to a courser grit if need be. I would try wet sanding with the very lightest of pressure and check your progress after about every other stroke. I hope this isn't some shade of Silver or another Metallic color or a Candy  color. 

No it was a dark green metallic.   Thanks

Edited by drodg

Key word Metallic. The reason I mentioned this is that if you go thru the clear and into the color it could become very difficult to match the Metallic finish underneath. I have seen others do it but I think it would be beyond my skill set. I'm sure you will hear from others here later today and they might be better able to guide you with your problem. You might even post a picture or two as that might help others with suggestions. I wish you well on this.  

I’ve had success polishing overspray and such from a finished paint job - just with Tamiya polishing compound. I guess it depends on how much paint dripped on your hood and what type of paint. Start with the least intrusive method first and get more aggressive as needed. 
I don’t know about sanding all the way and repriming and trying to blend - very difficult to get that to match. Is the hood a separate part? If yes, easy to repaint. If not, you can mask off along panel lines and respray. 
One of the joys of modeling is fixing mistakes. Kind of. 

18 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

I’ve had success polishing overspray and such from a finished paint job - just with Tamiya polishing compound. I guess it depends on how much paint dripped on your hood and what type of paint. Start with the least intrusive method first and get more aggressive as needed. 
I don’t know about sanding all the way and repriming and trying to blend - very difficult to get that to match. Is the hood a separate part? If yes, easy to repaint. If not, you can mask off along panel lines and respray. 
One of the joys of modeling is fixing mistakes. Kind of. 

I know one of the joys.  It is molded in but I think I can mask off at the panel lines.    Thank you

Edited by drodg

Yeah, I would try polishing off the paint drops first. I'd use Wright's Silver Cream, a silver polish available at Walmart. If that doesn't work for you or you go too far, you can always strip and repaint. 

I would sand it smooth with 2000 grit and spot paint it. The way I spot paint is take a piece of paper, cut a hole in it roughly the shape of the area and double the size. Then hold the paper roughly a quarter inch above the area and do a quick spray through the hole. If it matches, go back over it with clear and polish. Nine out of ten times, this will work. But, there's always that one time. It would be worth trying before resorting to starting over. I've saved several paint jobs with this method and it's worked every time.

33 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I would sand it smooth with 2000 grit and spot paint it. The way I spot paint is take a piece of paper, cut a hole in it roughly the shape of the area and double the size. Then hold the paper roughly a quarter inch above the area and do a quick spray through the hole. If it matches, go back over it with clear and polish. Nine out of ten times, this will work. But, there's always that one time. It would be worth trying before resorting to starting over. I've saved several paint jobs with this method and it's worked every time.

Thanks I am glad I am not the only one who has done something like this......

45 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

We’ve all done it! Remember it’s not how you screwed it up, it’s how you recover that makes you a modeler!

4A3E1692-46D1-4454-AA51-EE0E790DE9EE.jpeg.70daefd5bd020da82830dada0f2c490e.jpeg

Yes, here I was repainting the roof!

yes Thanks Tom

Edited by drodg

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Now that's what I call technique. I gotta try that sometime. 

I wouldn't sand it to primer intentionally, you might be able to recover this with scuffing off the drops and worst case reshoot the clear and polish it. Best case just polishing after scuffing. But if you go to primer I'll bet you can never get the exact match of metallic finish you shot the first time and it won't match the rest of the car.. Much of that though depends how opaque that green paint is. The last green I shot was very prone to shade differences according to what was under it. I'm so glad I did a test shoot first and ended up due to the outcome of the test going from light grey primer to black to get the shade green intended. I got a tiny piece of some kind of fiber in my second coat on top of the roof though. I stopped right there, let it dry and sanded that out and reshot the whole car, then later clear coated. The color came out uniform that way. Candy colors are the worst though, this one was not candy at least. I did a car in rose gold metallic with candy blue over it. same thing, dirt in the hood. Tried wet sanding but the dirt was too deep, it went into the purple pond and I refinished the hood from primer up. It's close but it really doesn't match. It's close enough it's going to live life that way and by the time I get the flat black portions done on it it won't matter much anyway.

14 hours ago, drodg said:

So last night after I have spent more time than I know on my paint I dripped two small drops of paint on the hood of my Porsche 911 I am building. It basically ruined the paint on the hood.   I had painted with lacquer and cleared.  The paint is polished and sanded.  It was about my best paint job ever.  Okay so it is only the hood (bonnet) so I figured I could sand and reprime and paint that area and should be able to blend it.  My question is.  What grade of sand paper would you recommend?  I have the 3200-12000 grit polish paper but I don't think that will work and I do have some 1500 grit but that is pretty light too.  I don't want to go to gritty and would prefer going maybe just down to the primer if possible.  Thanks everyone.   

If you had a clear coat on that model, did those 2 small drops of paint "melt" thought the clear?  If not, why not just sand and polish the drops off the clear coat.  What I would have done was to wipe the paint off as soon as as it fell on the hood. Then it would have been easy to polish the leftover paint smears.  But hindsight . . .

16 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

If the dripped paint was lacquer on lacquer, I'd do what the others recommend. If it was enamel, just wipe it off with enamel brush cleaner, as that shouldn't affect the lacquer at all.

Lacquer on lacquer....

8 hours ago, peteski said:

If you had a clear coat on that model, did those 2 small drops of paint "melt" thought the clear?  If not, why not just sand and polish the drops off the clear coat.  What I would have done was to wipe the paint off as soon as as it fell on the hood. Then it would have been easy to polish the leftover paint smears.  But hindsight . . .

It was cleared and it melted through. I wiped off right away but it was too late.  It was a stupid mistake.  

I'd sand that area smooth to the touch with something like #800 sandpaper, mask off the hood, re-prime, repaint, re-clear the whole hood. Don't worry about trying to fix the spot. Reshoot the whole hood. 

BTW, this is definitely an annoyance, but it's really not that big of a deal. You got this. B)

27 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I'd sand that area smooth to the touch with something like #800 sandpaper, mask off the hood, re-prime, repaint, re-clear the whole hood. Don't worry about trying to fix the spot. Reshoot the whole hood. 

BTW, this is definitely an annoyance, but it's really not that big of a deal. You got this. B)

Thanks

On 4/2/2020 at 1:19 PM, Snake45 said:

After sanding masking off and priming.  I have a few shots of base on and waiting to clear.  Looking good.  Thanks everyone 

B4549CF2-651F-43FD-8EF6-EDF8FE87E733.jpeg

12D60978-AD14-41A6-AC1C-DC28E4F0AC38.jpeg