Model Cars Magazine Forum

An Oldie, AMT 1963 Buick Electra 225 Convertible

RDean58

2 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

Very cool kit and looks like it’s in great condition. 
Anybody know if the blower set up is based on an actual intake? Or just a made up looks fine type of thing?

17A4D7C7-5511-4D00-8847-5601E35352C9.jpeg

Yup, it was actually a real thing! I can't find the pic I have of one, mounted on a dragster, but, I know there is one in the AMT Parts Pack engines as well. 

Photo: Competition Parts Pack Page 4 | AMT Competition Parts Pack ...

Edited by Daddyfink
Added image

16 hours ago, Casey said:

You know a kit is old when "OPERATING HOOD" is explicitly called out on the box top. ?

Some "interesting" custom parts in this kit... ?

'63 was the first year all of the annual customizing kits had engines!  Only about half of the '62 Jo-Han kits had them (Chrysler products, Olds F-85s).  Most AMT '62s had engines.  The Styline Valiant did not, the Buick Special wagon didn't have one for the car (only a Chrysler engine as an extra), and the compact cars (Falcon, Comet, Corvair) had display engines with no provisions for putting them in the car (though some builders did do that).  Things like slicks for the drag version in annual kits was still another year off though.

22 hours ago, RDean58 said:

Picked this one up a little while ago when I was into the Buicks, nice kit.

AMT_1963_Buick_Electra_225_CVT_01.jpg

Kits contents, and instruction pictures at this link: Buick Electra 225 Convertible kit contents and instructions

Fortunately someone in the past made a card board structure to protect the windshield frame. This is in remarkable condition for a 57 year old kit, just think about that, this has been around all that time and is still intact. The after market styling for the Custom version was a little funky even then.