Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is a "what if" or "phantom" build of a Caravan pickup (inspired by the A100) I started exactly 1 month ago. Not sure what the model name should be. El Caravano? Ramchero? I considered El Toro but its a Dodge Ram (and that's no bull!) El Ramo! No... Maybe El Carnero , Spanish for The Ram, sounds logical. Suggestions welcome.

IMG_1990.thumb.JPG.cf427f579ff986c5a1037f0986ba43b8.JPG
IMG_1991.thumb.JPG.ee29147e6a9d2ef924ba4cf0f91e42a8.JPGIMG_2000.thumb.JPG.149294c650c5ed21ba54b7f6db9dc831.JPGIMG_2001.thumb.JPG.3ffb35fedc4a57c13af0684d68fece01.JPGIMG_2026.thumb.JPG.a6c4e445aff74f44d09629f4162bc02f.JPG

I am using the Revellogram Dodge Ram VTS pickup to complete the conversion, using the cab's back wall, bed, tailgate, taillights &bumper. The bed is actually to short for the Caravan so I graphed on the appropriate length from a 2nd VTS kit. I would have liked to the Caravan taillights but had to flatten the shape at the rear to accommodate a practical tailgate. I also pushed out the rear quarter panels from about the back edge of the wheel opening on back, which allowed for a full width box. (Box length is approx. 7 1/2 scale feet.)

More later.

Comments, suggestions welcome.

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1994.JPG

Edited by #1 model citizen

On 4/2/2020 at 8:13 AM, Jantrix said:

Very neat work. Keep it going.

On 4/2/2020 at 6:00 AM, afx said:

Interesting.

Thanks for the encouragement. This is my 1st real dice & slice project since my tween years in the early 60's. I've been smoothing some of the body work & contemplating the details. should have more pics in a day or two.

On 4/2/2020 at 8:47 AM, TarheelRick said:

Looks like you have your engineering in the right place.  This should turn out to be a believable conversion.  Let's see more.

I have "custom" build idea for a Caravan that will the use stock configuration quarter panels & bottom section of the hatch w/non opening (or a pretend its feasible) tailgate. It will incorporate the C pillar(?) as well

Cool!  Dodge Caravans have been a big part of my life.  We owned three, an 84, 90 and still have the 1996 high top with over 200,000 miles. The perfect family haulers.

I started a shortie Caravan but it’s back in the box. Once I took the length out of it, the whole thing looked square.. as wide as it is long!

You are doing good, I’ll be watching.

On 4/5/2020 at 9:16 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Cool!  Dodge Caravans have been a big part of my life.  We owned three, an 84, 90 and still have the 1996 high top with over 200,000 miles. The perfect family haulers.

I started a shortie Caravan but it’s back in the box. Once I took the length out of it, the whole thing looked square.. as wide as it is long!

You are doing good, I’ll be watching.

Thanks, Tom. I have owned two, an '88 and a '98 and currently own a '06 Town & Country. The '98 was the best vehicle I ever owned, but had to replace it after 240,000+ miles due to a combination of computer, rust, damage, etc. It was a perfect storm of everything needing maintenance & repair at once. ?

The model is identical to my '98 with the exception of the fabric pattern & wheels. There is a slight difference in the dash in that the model does not depict the ''eyebrow'' information center that was above the speedometer/tach cove. Mine also had fog lamps.

On 4/5/2020 at 8:54 AM, Steamboat said:

I tried the same thing and never could get the roof to look convincing.  I ended up deep sixing it.

But it looks like the roof from the truck may work.  Good luck my friend.

Thanks! The roof certainly has a slope to it! 

I'm still doing a little tweaking. Hope to post more pics soon...

• 4 weeks later...

Finally I have an update & pics! (Camera & computer not getting along ?). I have been fighting & procrastinating over extending the "belt line" to the bed sides. I had envisioned a smooth side bed, however the belt line just fell into place and after several attempts at ignoring the obvious to achieve a smooth side, I finally relented!IMG_2042.thumb.JPG.52fbb60a99cbdb6236d0e494928a66e6.JPGIMG_2043.thumb.JPG.dd98cf1179e36f00076fcabd6dbee3f9.JPGIMG_2045.thumb.JPG.2117dcd7b3c6aa3d6cf5a9987359dbc9.JPGIMG_2044.thumb.JPG.2c72316859bda4d63822f1a3253e4d90.JPGIMG_2040.thumb.JPG.c70b8176cdd1e862e55a3f79fb280984.JPG
I added back up lights & removed the character lines from the tailgate. It is ready to paint at this point. Will post more pics then.

Comments, suggestions welcome.

CaraRam! I have decided on the model name. Current project will be the CaraRam. I also have other projects in mind; CaraGlam (custom pickup) and El Carnero (pickup w/unaltered quarter panels & outer tailgate "sheet metal"). I even have a race car in mind if I ever get that crazy & Rambitious!?

11 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

I like this John. This is how I figured all trucks would look by now. 

Thanks, Andy. Pickups , it would seem to me, would be a lot more user friendly with the all around lower bed that this fwd platform would provide. You certainly wouldn't need a staircase tailgate! 

• 1 year later...
On 4/2/2022 at 6:38 PM, bisc63 said:

That worked out really well! I really dig the proportions; it looks "right" to me. Very well done, and you painted it the right color!

Thank you! I chose red as it seemed to be a color Dodge used a lot in advertising ( as I recall) and as a nod to the A100 and the Lil Red Wagon. 

I've seen a few such conversions over the years, but this is the first one I've seen, real or in scale, that looks absolutely correct and production ready. The best phantoms are the ones that keep you guessing whether it is a production vehicle or not. That's one minivan I would drive every day. 10/10.