Model Cars Magazine Forum

Got a project you just haven't got around to but will "some day" ?

I've got a couple like that. 

For years I've been thinking about building a mild custom '64 Galaxie. 

It would have most of the trim shaved off , candy green paint riding low on a set of vintage 5-spoke mags like Winfield Terra thrusts or some other off-brand. 

Another one is a mini-tubbed '77 Volare RoadRunner. Off white with the red/orange stripes. Blown Hemi sticking through the hood.

Now, I do have everything I need to build both cars ,, except just haven't yet.

How about you guys? What cool projects have you thought up but just haven't pulled the trigger on yet? 

I'm going to build a Ford Galaxie into a gasser, based on a car I really like that  I see at local shows. I have the Fairlane kit, I have gasser kit, and I have some engine parts to use.

But have just never got around to starting this project. Been a couple of years of looking at boxes.

Here's the inspiration.

IMG_20160701_1202216.jpg.2b8729a39ca5a1d552577b3b30fd3f37.jpg

I have a fair number of parts set aside for a planned replica of Mark Donohue's 1973 Sunoco DX Eagle. I have two decal sheets (one Fred Cady, one Indycals), a resin rear wing, a copy of the AMT Olsonite Eagle and the Patrick Eagle, and I keep taking it off the shelf, doing a bit of sanding or test fitting, and putting it right back because I'm not happy with it. 

Way too many ideas to list, but every kit i buy has a plan before i buy them even if its just to be a donor for something else. I have got an idea stuck in my head for a 34 roadster with some styling from the newest version of the ford gt mixed with time attack

I had some projects I thought I’d do someday but stopped and said to myself, “ today is that day!”

I always said I’d build a camper so I did it. And I have started to concentrate on finishing old projects that fell into that definition. Just now I’m building a 50 Chevy pickup for a local restaurant that’s been on my wanna do list for at least a year.

I do want to do a diorama one of these days. Maybe a period used car lot. 

got a couple, for sure.  One is a replica of the '69 Camaro my dad sold when I was about 5 years old.  He still feels remorseful when I mention that it was my birthright. ?  I've got the kit and most of the necessary parts to build it as accurately as we can remember it.  350, 2 bbl, TH350, flat hood.  I need to configure some header mufflers and straight pipes, and build the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH thing.  

Similarly, I've got everything I need to build a replica of my former '69 Corvette coupe.  350, TH400, small block hood. 

Now that I think of it, I've also got an '84 Cutlass, with a flat hood, earmarked to be a replica of my first car, and a Dobbertin J2000 to donate it's front clip towards a replica of my unfortunate second car.

I want to do a set of nine first-gen Camaros--three '67s, three '68s, three '69s. 

Three will be red, three will be white, three will be blue. 

The red ones will be factory stock SS/RSs, and will be based on original annual AMT ('67, '69) and MPC ('68) kits. 

The white ones will be Bill Jenkins's Grumpy's Toy III, IV, and VI. 

The blue ones will be the Sunoco Trans Am racers. 

17 minutes ago, JJ Deuce said:

... '69 Camaro...   350, 2 bbl, TH350, flat hood. 

If it had a 350, it wasn't stock. The only original 350s in first-gen Camaros were 4 bbl, and they were in SS350s with domed or ('69) CI hoods. If it was a 2 bbl and flat hood, it was probably a 327 or 307. 

Unless, of course, it had a swapped or replaced engine. B)

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

If it had a 350, it wasn't stock. The only original 350s in first-gen Camaros were 4 bbl, and they were in SS350s with domed or ('69) CI hoods. If it was a 2 bbl and flat hood, it was probably a 327 or 307. 

Unless, of course, it had a swapped or replaced engine. B)

That's entirely likely.  My dad purchased it from a Dr. who really didn't know much about it.  Dad shaved all the emblems and painted it Ford Wimbledon White, so factory-stock issues are out the window already.  ?

I'm a life-long 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea fan. I have to wait for my rusting and weathering skills to grow before tackling this one, but it's definitely a "gotta do." After talking with Scott Brodeen, and several long talks with my wife, we decided to get this kit while we still could. I'm glad we did. This kit is gorgeous. And we know all the right number of rivets are in the right places. ?

IMG_3052.JPG

I’m a big fan of 70s and early 80s NHRA and IHRA Pro Stocks,so I have a lot of those cars I plan to build someday.One in particular is this 73 Dodge Dart Pro Stocker driven by Stuart McDade.I pretty much have everything to do it.I have several MPC 76 Dart kits.I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to make a 73-74 Dart Sport grille and tailights.I picked up the Slixx Don Carlton sheet which has most of the sponser logos I need.I will need to have someone who custom makes decals to do Stuart’s name on the doors.

170F888A-C8DB-43C2-BCB5-E3028B60EF11.jpeg

FF22C460-B18D-4BDD-980C-B0C8CB5973EF.jpeg

597223BE-5FF6-44D8-AFF5-FCEF4542C7D3.jpeg

One I'm still formulating in my head is a full custom '55 Nomad with '57 Chrysler quarter panels, the Styline front end from the '57 Chevy and a 409 under the hood. At least those are the parts I have lined up so far. Maybe sectioned a little.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I have dozens just waiting for parts to be found for them yet many are very old but not all...and some are dream build projects I have wanted to do for decades now but Ill have to wait till I have what they will need yet...

Family owned replicas of vehicles the family had owned over the years.

cool project ideas I want to make.

Kit bash more 60s station wagons.

dioramas.

etc.

The Parnelli Jones/Bill Stroppe '63 Mercury, the one Don Emmons built a replica of in Rod & Custom when the kit was a "current" annual.  I've got the kit (actually have five or six of them, including two started Advanced Custom versions that I found that way).  One is a builtup that I stripped five or six paint jobs from.  I created a vacuform floor pan for the project (sold a few hundred of them too), and have a pile of different engine and suspension parts for it.  Every time a more detailed kit came out, I'd set aside more parts for this thing.  I've even got decal sheets for it (Emmons had to paint the markings by hand).  I've even got AMT Turnpike tires, same ones that were used on the original build.  Just need to get on it...

Another idea I have is a diorama of a small Chevy dealership in the summer of 1969. This would be something like the Motion shop, but out by itself in the Midwest or Southwest somewhere. One-car showroom, maybe a dozen or so '69 Chevies in inventory, several cool pre-'69 cars for sale on the trade-in lot. 

16 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

My long term dream is to duplicate (within reason) the setting depicted on this AMT '59 El Camino box.

U6Cw3A.jpg

Do you already have that kit? If not, the exact same camper shell was in the 2nd last issue of the 65 Elcamino. The one with the baby blue "drag camino" retro box art. It had both the topper and the camper in the box. To my knowledge the latest "Gear Hustler" issue of the 65 El Camino only had the topper. And the 59 El Camino kit is easy to find. Would be a much cheaper alternative than trying to track down one of the actual El Camino camper kits. You would probably be in both newer kits for less than half of what one of the El Camino camper it's usually seem to sell for. 

I would really like to do a diorama of the final vanishing point scene, but with a twist. I would have 3 cars in the diorama. One would be the Challenger, of course. The second would be a mix of the challenger and Camaro, like it was morphing into the Camaro at the last moment, to trick the film viewers eye. To achieve this I would do some hacking up and just combine the two models. Thirdly, I would have the Camaro all smashed up upon impact. I’d have these 3 cars all in a line, progressing towards the Bulldozers.