Model Cars Magazine Forum

Got a project you just haven't got around to but will "some day" ?

7 hours ago, Toner283 said:

Do you already have that kit? If not, the exact same camper shell was in the 2nd last issue of the 65 Elcamino. The one with the baby blue "drag camino" retro box art. It had both the topper and the camper in the box. To my knowledge the latest "Gear Hustler" issue of the 65 El Camino only had the topper. And the 59 El Camino kit is easy to find. Would be a much cheaper alternative than trying to track down one of the actual El Camino camper kits. You would probably be in both newer kits for less than half of what one of the El Camino camper it's usually seem to sell for. 

I did exactly that; chased down a standard '59, then snatched the camper from the '65, so I'm all set to go, just need to work up the courage to actually do it. And you're absolutely right, the original kit, when I even run across one, sells for stupid money.

1 hour ago, Fabrux said:

I tried the '65 camper on a '59 El Camino body once. It doesn't quite fit properly... ?

Doesn't really fit on the '65 either. But it is the same camper shell that was in the '59 El Camino camper kit.

3 hours ago, Fabrux said:

I tried the '65 camper on a '59 El Camino body once. It doesn't quite fit properly...

I never heard that before. I built the '59 kit when I was a kid, and I thought it fit just fine, but that was the original camper, supposedly the exact same one that's in the '65.

2 hours ago, Toner283 said:

Doesn't really fit on the '65 either. But it is the same camper shell that was in the '59 El Camino camper kit.

I'll do whatever it takes to make it fit, as it's one of my big-time grail projects, model car wise.

20 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I'll do whatever it takes to make it fit, as it's one of my big-time grail projects, model car wise.

Improvise! Adapt! Overcome! THAT'S the kinda fightin' spirit I've been talkin' about! (To quote not just one but TWO Clint Eastwood movies.) B)

I have 76 Pinto and I want to drop the v8 in it but part of me wants it stock kind of like mine. That project is ready to go but just keep pushing it aside. Have the paint now to build my dad 53 Ford pickup but that one will not wait long. I think sometimes the projects can be simple but we get cought up in the hunt and think of a new one...

My 1:1 grail was my '65 Chevelle SS, 283, 4 speed car, with headers and 55 GMC truck mufflers - they had a real mellow tone.  I have the Revell '65 kit, the parts pack 283, the MCG photoetch, and I know I have a couple of kits with chrome steelies.  There is going to be an issue with the tail panel since the Revell kit has the 300 tail panel and it differs quite a bit from the SS, especially in the taillights.  I don't know what is holding me back from pulling the trigger on this one, just want to be sure my abilities match up to the car in question.  The shoe polish name on the side and the writing on the rear window is not part of the overall plan

My 65 Chevelle SS 2.jpg

My 65 Chevelle SS.jpg

I have this "Some Day" project:

P6050383-vi.jpgP6050384-vi.jpgP6050385-vi.jpgP6040306-vi.jpg

The Galaxie in the bottom right pic belonged to a friend of mine. I had intended to build a replica of it, but he has since sold the car for a wheelbarrow full of greenbacks!!

11 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

My 1:1 grail was my '65 Chevelle SS, 283, 4 speed car, with headers and 55 GMC truck mufflers - they had a real mellow tone.  I have the Revell '65 kit, the parts pack 283, the MCG photoetch, and I know I have a couple of kits with chrome steelies.  There is going to be an issue with the tail panel since the Revell kit has the 300 tail panel and it differs quite a bit from the SS, especially in the taillights.  I don't know what is holding me back from pulling the trigger on this one, just want to be sure my abilities match up to the car in question.  The shoe polish name on the side and the writing on the rear window is not part of the overall plan

My 65 Chevelle SS 2.jpg

My 65 Chevelle SS.jpg

I think I remember you posting these pictures before. I may be able to give you a few suggestions on your conversion. The Revell kit as you know is of the limited edition 396 SS model offered by Chevrolet. The primary difference on the trunk trim is unique to that model car. Look very closely at the outer edges of the rear fenders just beyond the tail light lenses on the kits body There is a very faint outline of what would be the normal SS tail moldings. This ends at the point that the OEM molding would have run across the trunk lid. This molding can be created by using some very small half round from Plastruct. The center section between the tail lights can be done by removing the kits chrome part between the tail lights and use a slightly larger half round molding aligned with the top and bottom edge of the tail light. The clear red tail lights have an extremely fine ridge that could be maybe highlighted with a chrome pen to replicate that molding. I have studied just such a conversion in the past, but other projects keep getting in the way. I'd like to see you build a model of your car. I have done this same thing for several cars I have owned through the years and I really enjoyed the memories that come back to me on such a build.    

I've got too many to list. Almost every kit I buy has a purpose. Just a handful are purchased just for Grins.

I do have one project that I'm really wanting to get to. I need to move it up the priority list. A Kitbash of the AMT 1928 Porter kit (the '27 Model T Touring w/extra parts), & the Cinderbug Fire Engine (the same '27 T kit, with a small factory Hose and Chemical set-up).  I want to build a Porter Fire Engine. It should be easy, as I just need to add the Porter Nose to the Cinderbug kit, but I keep putting it off.