Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shadow DN4 Can Am

Rich Chernosky

This project has finally come to a conclusion. Over 4 months on the bench, much scratch building and testing and now its done. This is the 1974 Shadow DN4 The Jackie Oliver drove to the championship. Kit is 1/24 and made by Formula Canada. Resin, rubber and photo etch. Kit is long discontinued. Kit is not for the feint hearted. The wing attachment was the most problematic. Many details were added.  See captions under the photos for more in depth description of this build. And thanks for looking.

DSC06819.JPG.7fd11dc6bb517cc1f3a0cc497f6679d9.JPGScratch built wing attachment parts and the original resin parts. Kit parts were never going to support the wing and getting it attached and level would have been near impossible. 

DSC06816.JPG.1367284f702216532897b8134c70f262.JPGThe wing all test fitted and pinned together. Getting it right took several tries.

DSC06877.JPG.661736baf53a31b987d29ae92fa98d68.JPGI used the rear suspension from a Tamiya 1/20 Alfa Romeo. Not prototypical correct but much sturdier than the kit. It was heavily modified. 

DSC06887.JPG.4bf3614514fd9f852c5092335f4a68a5.JPG 

Rear suspension all complete and painted. Not exactly pretty but you won't see much of it. Its main job is to hold the rear wheels and tires where they are supposed to be. 

DSC06893.JPG.135aa69b49864ca431c5e9009386e2ac.JPGFinished interior. Seatbelts are 2mm silk thread with Crazy Modeler hardware. Kit had PE seatbelts that just wouldn't do. Scratchbuilt gear shift from a carved straight pin, steel rod and JB Weld Quik.

DSC06888.JPG.f821e06faf799e2636fa693794f60482.JPGUp on its wheels and all decalled. Wheels did not steer in the kit. Mine are poseable. I left the radiator guard natural and added some screen.

DSC06889.JPG.bfff9b03212e23d3e3db4e1b3d2e6432.JPGRear end veiw shows the wing attachment all painted and detailed. Wired the distributor too. Getting the angles on the intake trumpets was fun. JB Weld to the rescue again.

DSC06890.JPG.305bedc3425c3e003ef78d5c2cedf5c3.JPG

I like to have the came model in different scales. The diecast is a 1/55 Corgi. Not the same but close. Had to doctor the windscreen with some black tape. Screen fit well but the glue joint was not so good looking. Mirrors were a real terror, I did them last. 

49 minutes ago, 1959scudetto said:

Beautiful build of a very seldom seen car, Rich - but man, I wouldn't have the nerve (nor the patience) for finishing this one!

I usually get a build done in about 10 days. This one sat on my bench over 4 months so I barely had  the patience.  Sometimes you just have to really dig deep for the nerve and do it. Thanks for the compliments by the way. 

58 minutes ago, Dr. Trevorkian said:

Very nice work on a bear of a kit Rich. Wait till you see the fun stuff Chris has coming in future. 

Trevor.....how nice to hear from you...its been awhile. Thought you were on here.  I have his  Riley/Scott in the wings. Nice to hear he is still doing kits. Thanks for the compliments. You weren't kidding when you said it was a bear. 

26 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

WOW....love it!!! I have a very bad Shadow kit by Otaki that is 1/28 I think??? Love a real kit. 

Dave...I have that kit too. Its1/28 and molded in green. It is supposed to be the AVS Shadow MkI  .It's  close but no cigar.  I built it box stock many years ago when no reference was available. Like before the internet existed. I recently bought a resin of this car by Silver City Models and a much better model. They are on Ebay if you are interested. I also have a very funny story concerning the Otaki kit if you are interested. Its a good memory. 

11 hours ago, Bantoft said:

Hi Rich, not sure how I missed this when it was on the front page.  Fantastic build, looks great.  I am currently building the Mk 1 AVS Shadow.

Dave B

Dave..thank you for the compliment.....is your kit the Otaki 1/28 or the Silver City Model resin version. I just recently got the resin and have the Otaki done for many years. If you have the resin I would luv to know how you are making out. That kit was hi on my want list for several years. 

12 hours ago, Art Laski said:

I love it, Rich! Those old Can Am and F5000 cars are some of my favorites. Nice job on it..

Thank you Art, compliments from another modeler are always appreciated.  How is your F-3000 coming along. Should be just about done now last I saw. 

3 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Thank you Art, compliments from another modeler are always appreciated.  How is your F-3000 coming along. Should be just about done now last I saw. 

Yes, it's just about done. I only have about an hour left to get that thing under glass, but of course, with modeler's ADD, I started something else! ...lol