Model Cars Magazine Forum

Marmon-Herrington 4WD Conversions

I picked up the AMT '50 Chevy 3100 kit today.  Dad had a '49 when I was a kid and I remember it very well.

I'm in the "decide how to build it" phase.  I'm thinking essentially stock in the same Forester Green that Dad's was, but with a few updates that might be seen if I could do a "money is no object" restoration on one today.  

I looked through the kit contents and the very first thing that hit me was that the tires are...well...awful.  Initial thinking is to build it with a M-H 4WD conversion which will give me an excuse to put some better detailed tires and wheels on it.  I'll probably have to lift it a tad but I want to keep the stance as near stock as feasible. 

I'll be scouring the web for pictures of M-H conversions but if anyone here has been there and done that and would be willing to give me some pointers, it would be greatly appreciated.  I'm particularly interested in details of the front differential, suspension, steering and transfer case.

2 hours ago, PHPaul said:

Well, that makes sense.  Searching M-H only brought up Fords and Mercurys.

Coleman/NAPCO eh?  I'll research those leads.

Thanks a TON (arrrr...humor!) for the pix Brian.  Those are perfect.

If you search for Coleman 4x4 conversion you find all kinds of neat stuff. The axle used in the light to medium duty trucks is their 1.5 ton unit, they also made 3 and 5 ton axles. It looks like you might be able to convert a Ford 9", especially if you can find a 1/24 one. The rear end from one of the old Monogram stock cars should do just fine with a bit of putty to round over the diff cover and bolt heads around it.

You might look through the Resin/Aftermarket Section on the Forum. There's a list of after market companies web sites. They might not have exactly what you're looking for but you'll be able to see what is out there that you could use. Several of these suppliers specialize in 4 X 4 conversions for existing kits.  

33 minutes ago, espo said:

You might look through the Resin/Aftermarket Section on the Forum. There's a list of after market companies web sites. They might not have exactly what you're looking for but you'll be able to see what is out there that you could use. Several of these suppliers specialize in 4 X 4 conversions for existing kits.  

Good idea.  I've surfed Ebay for 4x4 kits to pirate stuff from too.

On 4/3/2020 at 6:02 PM, 62SY4 said:

I am not a 1950's 4x4 expert, but I believe M-H primarily did conversions on Fords. I believe NAPCO did the conversions of GM products. 

It's a common mistake to make but the company that did the GM conversions was called NEAPCO. They made driveline parts clear into the 80's at least. I bought NEAPCO brand  U-Joints at my local mom and pop parts house in 1985 for my Pinto