Model Cars Magazine Forum

A new hangout

3 hours ago, smhardesty said:

There is a new forum to hang out on.

Maybe not the best idea to use this forum to advertise and promote another one, especially in General Discussion.

Just saw you double posted it, too. ?

Edited by Casey

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Maybe not the best idea to use this forum to advertise and promote another one, especially in General Discussion.

Links, Advertisers, and Web Sites

Questions, information or links to websites, our advertisers, online photo albums, and other online sites and resources.

I don't really understand why anyone would get upset about promoting other forums, especially a Pro Board forum.

They are in no way, shape or form in "competition" for a magazine board such as this one.

They will not take away anything from this forum, or the magazine.

Seems to me more forums will only promote the hobby more, which in the long run, helps boards such as this.

I belong to this, as well as another magazine board, and at least 3 Pro Boards, as well as an old Yahoo Group.

Doesn't interfere one iota with how much time I spend here.

Steve

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I don't really understand why anyone would get upset about promoting other forums, especially a Pro Board forum.

They are in no way, shape or form in "competition" for a magazine board such as this one.

Seems to me more forums will only promote the hobby more, which in the long run, helps boards such as this.

I belong to this, as well as another magazine board, and at least 3 Pro Boards, as well as an old Yahoo Group.

Steve

Agree and well said.   

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Agree as well! I’m a member here and will always come back to this site. I’m also a man er of about seven other sites and consider this my main one to go to!!

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

Not much there, yet. I don't have a problem with promoting the other site. But, I don't see the advantage to the other site. What is different about what's over there, than what's being done here? 

There's nothing really "different" about any of them.

They're all forums dedicated to automotive modeling in one form or another.

Some of the Pro Boards are focused on particular niches of the hobby, which can be nice.

I belong to "Mopars in Scale" which is primarily a Mopar site.

This new one is dedicated to cars only, focused primarily on the 60s and 70s, (nothing after 1979) so you know exactly what to expect when you log on.

No Lamborghini's or Peterbuilts to wade through if they're not your thing.

The forum is only a few days old, but there are people beginning to sign up.

About a dozen members so far as of my last count.

I figure the traffic really can't be any worse than the SA mag site! ^_^

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

1 minute ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

There's nothing really "different" about any of them.

They're all forums dedicated to automotive modeling in one form or another.

Some of the Pro Boards are focused on particular niches of the hobby, which can be nice.

I belong to "Mopars in Scale" which is primarily a Mopar site.

This new one is dedicated to cars only, focused primarily on the 60s and 70s, (nothing after 1979) so you know exactly what to expect when you log on.

No Lamborghini's or Peterbuilts to wade through if they're not your thing.

The forum is only a few days old, but there are people beginning to sign up.

About a dozen members so far as of my last count.

I figure the traffic really can't be any worse than the SA mag site! ^_^

Steve

Funny I subscribe to SA. But, do not use their site. And I don't know why?  Is it any good? 

I don't see a problem with mentioning another site. I've been around here for a long time, and I started a ProBoards forum back in 2011. It will never be as large as this one, and I don't consider it as competition. I even have a section where members can post links to other forums. There are a few members here that are members of my forum, as well. You never know where you'll find that one tip that will help you become a better modeler.

22 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Not much there, yet. I don't have a problem with promoting the other site. But, I don't see the advantage to the other site. What is different about what's over there, than what's being done here? 

The thing that I saw that I liked better is the Start to Finish section. I like the idea that everything is in one thread. It's very helpful here, though, when guys include the link to their On the Bench thread. 

I haven't posted anything until right now. I wanted to sit back and see where the thread was headed. I see that other guys have posted replies similar to what I might have posted myself "in defense" of the new forum and my decision to announce it here. Seems some of you guys have defended me very well.

The new forum is definitely a niche forum. I wasn't looking for another forum that allowed everything including the kitchen sink. The new forum is for cars only. No trucks, aircraft, ships, or modern Mustangs and Camaros. The primary focus is on 60s and 70s Muscle Cars, Day 2 Cars, and Drag Cars. That's not the only acceptable type of build, simply the primary focus. You are invited to post your factory stock builds from the very first cars manufactured up through 1989 models. I've also seen fit to include some open wheeled and closed wheeled competition builds.

I'm not attempting to steal members from any other forum. I do, however, know that there are a whole lot of guys that don't necessarily "fit in" on current forums and I want to be sure they are aware that there are alternative forums to enjoy. Many of us refuse to have anything to do with Facebook or any other social websites. I personally refer to them as social disease websites, but that's my own opinion. A new forum might just be what those individuals are looking for.

To those of you that for some reason object to announcing a new forum on this one, you have the right to simply ignore this and you also have the capability of ignoring my username postings. You won't upset me in the least by doing that. Of course, you won't upset me in the least by posting inflammatory comments or asking the Admins/Mods on this forum to remove my threads. As several of you are aware, I was once a regular user of this forum. Most of you are also aware of why I stopped visiting this forum. It is for the same reasons that many individuals regularly seek out smaller, friendlier forums to be members of.

To anyone that might enjoy a forum focused on "Classic Cars", I invite you to check out the new place and join us. We're still growing slowly and that's fine with me. The members and I have been exchanging ideas on how to improve our little place and we're making minor changes as we go. One of the things up for discussion right now is the possibility of announcing contests, community builds, and/or build-offs. Whatever we end up with will also be different than anything offered on any other forums. It will be tailored and configured based on what ideas the members of the forum suggest. That happens to also be something different about my forums. Everything on my forums is strictly for the members. They know that they are welcome to offer suggestions, ideas, and changes to improve the forum for the majority of members.

So, to those of you that are interested, come on over and join us.

On 4/6/2020 at 7:57 AM, stinkybritches said:

The thing that I saw that I liked better is the Start to Finish section. I like the idea that everything is in one thread. It's very helpful here, though, when guys include the link to their On the Bench thread. 

I almost forgot to reply to this. The "Start To Finish" thing was my idea. I have always thought that having one thread for the build, then a completely separate, second thread with the photos of the finished build was a little confusing and strangely repetitious. The natural "flow" of things seems to make it necessary to finish the build thread with the completed build photos. I can follow a build from the very first post explaining the builder's goals, and then follow the build right though to the finished product.

Thanks for bringing that up, Rob.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 3:13 PM, smhardesty said:

I almost forgot to reply to this. The "Start To Finish" thing was my idea. I have always thought that having one thread for the build, then a completely separate, second thread with the photos of the finished build was a little confusing and strangely repetitious. The natural "flow" of things seems to make it necessary to finish the build thread with the completed build photos. I can follow a build from the very first post explaining the builder's goals, and then follow the build right though to the finished product.

Thanks for bringing that up, Rob.

The Start To Finish is something I don't like personally. It's the same way at SA's forum. If a project goes on for while and racks up a few pages, you have to wade through those pages to find the finished photos. I much prefer a separate section for finished models. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 9:41 AM, Plowboy said:

The Start To Finish is something I don't like personally. It's the same way at SA's forum. If a project goes on for while and racks up a few pages, you have to wade through those pages to find the finished photos. I much prefer a separate section for finished models. 

I agree

On 4/11/2020 at 3:08 PM, smhardesty said:

The new forum is definitely a niche forum. I wasn't looking for another forum that allowed everything including the kitchen sink. The new forum is for cars only. No trucks, aircraft, ships, or modern Mustangs and Camaros. The primary focus is on 60s and 70s Muscle Cars, Day 2 Cars, and Drag Cars. That's not the only acceptable type of build, simply the primary focus. You are invited to post your factory stock builds from the very first cars manufactured up through 1989 models. I've also seen fit to include some open wheeled and closed wheeled competition builds.

Each time this thread comes to the top of the board, I’ve taken a look.   

Niche? Your focus is on the most generic, popular categories of auto modeling. Nothing unique or special there.

Niche is a small area of interest. Dave Darby’s Survivor board... Terry Jessee’s Resin only board, these are niche. 

I'll try and respond to this. I'm not attempting to argue with you, just explaining my position. You mentioned that you have to " wade through those pages to find the finished photos". I guess I don't see scrolling through 5 or 6 pages as having to "wade through" them. If you are following the thread and build, you are going to have to "wade through" those pages to follow it so placing the completed build at the end of the thread doesn't seem like too much to me.

Not only that, most of the forums I visit have the page numbers of the thread listed somewhere on the link to them. That includes this forum. I can very easily click on page 2, 15, or even "Last Page" and not have to "wade through" any pages at all. My forums on ProBoards have page numbers listed so there isn't any time consuming, aggravating, wading through of any pages. It's just, Click, and you're there on the last page. Pretty easy. Might I suggest that if you guys are spending time wading through page after page of a build thread just to get to the last page, you need to learn how to use the page number links to save yourselves time and effort. If you are already doing that, then why would you ever have a complaint about wading through all those pages?

If anyone on this forum needs help in learning how to skip straight to the last page of a thread, either on this forum or on one of mine, please give me a holler and I'll assist you.

On 5/9/2020 at 4:59 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Niche? Your focus is on the most generic, popular categories of auto modeling. Nothing unique or special there.

Niche is a small area of interest. Dave Darby’s Survivor board... Terry Jessee’s Resin only board, these are niche. 

First of all, let's actually define "niche". You stated that a niche has to be "a small area of interest". Not so. Nowhere in any true definition of the word do you find reference to only "a small area of interest".  The best definition of the word is probably this: "a distinct segment of a market". Nothing said about anything small. It's simply one segment of a market. My forum is specifically for pre-1990 classic cars. I have stated numerous times on the forum that even though the forum is opened to any pre-1990 classic car, the emphasis is on 60s and 70s Muscle Cars, Day 2 Cars, and Drag Cars. Now, THAT fits even your definition, but more importantly it simply elaborates on where I want to see the forum headed.

I have just today responded to one of my members that inquired about pickup trucks and motorcycles. Pickups and motorcycles are not currently allowed on the forum. That might change in the future, but as of right now they are a no-go.

I might also point out that if you guys actually went to the forum and spent some time actually reading threads on there, most of these supposed problems/questions with my forum would have been self explanatory. My forum is every bit as much a niche as either of the two sites you mentioned. Just because it doesn't meet YOUR definition of what niche is doesn't mean that it's not really a niche forum. Maybe if you expanded your knowledge of the definition of words you wouldn't find CCIS to not meet with your expectations.

Lastly, I certainly do NOT think my forum's "focus is on the most generic, popular categories of auto modeling". How can 60s and 70s Muscle Cars, Day 2 Cars, and Drag Cars possible have cornered the market as "the most generic, popular categories of auto modeling"? I know an awful lot of guys that would disagree as well.

I don't have an issue with it as long as the site retains the ability to "edit" topics and posts.

It wouldn't work at all here because without the ability to edit the subject line and let people know that the build is finished, nobody would ever know.

Steve

On 5/9/2020 at 4:59 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Each time this thread comes to the top of the board, I’ve taken a look.   

I appreciate the "niche" that Steve has provided on his board.

Call it what you want, the vast majority of what is showcased there interests people like me with those particular narrower interests.

I have never even visited half of the sections provided on this forum.

If you prefer, maybe you could just refer to it as "streamlined". :P

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

• Xingu locked this topic