Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Buick GS.

Geno

Well, one of 3 on the bench but this one is first up. Using the Monogram GSX kit as the base. I got laid off yesterday so I've got some time to do some modeling. I've never been laid off before so it feels kinda weird. God's way of keeping me safe is how I'm looking at it. Any good source for the chrome outside rearview mirror on the drivers door? Hope you all are safe and sound as well. God bless, Geno.[:)]

49735845748_8bddf4bde5_c.jpg[
49736719027_47302760f4_c.jpg

Going to try and replicate this car but without the vinyl top.
49736390186_93b7eed577_c.jpg

Edited by Geno

Beautiful color.Love the 1:1.

Yours should be sweet also.Off to a great start.

They told us we will continue be in operation.We machine aluminum castings for medical equipment.They want 200 ventilator housings a week!?

Thanks Mark, much appreciated. We've got some essential business for Emerson but since they shut down a plant due to some folks checking positive for Covid it slowed us down to a crawl, We have maybe a dozen folks still working now. All we can do is pray for this nasty bug to get shut down. Stay safe, Geno.?

219660630_ScreenShot2020-04-04at9_42_51PM.png.6f94fa300f89b46b7c9d38f559a8b248.png

^^ screen grab from an online vehicle auction site

The basic shapes wouldn't be too hard to scratchbuild from styrene, minus the engraved portions. Use some chrome mylar for the lens, Molotow or Alclad for the finish.

Looking good! I had a  1/1 '71 GS. It was a nice ride. Had to change it to an electronic ignition, because the rain came through  the hood  scoops, directly  over the distributer.  I always said, that if this car had been kitted in 1/25  scale....Monagram would have sold a million more.

Edited by Southern Fried

It seems to me the '66 Riviera might have those mirrors.?  Great color . I will be keeping tabs on this build. It's going to be beautiful. 

Just checked Riv kit. Wrong mirrors but '70 Monte Carlo has some similar ones.

Edited by Nazz
correct info

That is a gorgeous color on that Buick, Geno!  I've gotta get me one of those, my dad used to work for a Buick dealership and I'm sure he'd like to have one of those.  

Off topic-I also work in Sidney, Geno! I work for Ferguson Construction and I've been working at the construction sites at the main plant for...awhile now.  Small world!

Stay safe as well!

On 4/5/2020 at 10:58 AM, Nazz said:

It seems to me the '66 Riviera might have those mirrors.?  Great color . I will be keeping tabs on this build. It's going to be beautiful. 

Just checked Riv kit. Wrong mirrors but '70 Monte Carlo has some similar ones.

Thanks Jerry, I do appreciate the info.

Edited by Geno

2 hours ago, lordorion1974 said:

That is a gorgeous color on that Buick, Geno!  I've gotta get me one of those, my dad used to work for a Buick dealership and I'm sure he'd like to have one of those.  

Off topic-I also work in Sidney, Geno! I work for Ferguson Construction and I've been working at the construction sites at the main plant for...awhile now.  Small world!

Stay safe as well!

Awesome, it is a small world, and thanks for the kind words. I live in Sidney but work in Piqua.?

23 minutes ago, Geno said:

Awesome, it is a small world, and thanks for the kind words. I live in Sidney but work in Piqua.?

Back when I was stationed at Wright-Patterson I dated a girl from Troy and we used to go to Piqua.  Part of my photography class portfolio at Wright State included some night shots from downtown Piqua.

That is one fine color on your Buick.  Looking forward to updates.

Edited by TarheelRick

4 hours ago, Monty said:

That's gonna be fantastic!  Could you elaborate on the paint?  (P/N etc)  I assume it's auto touch-up, but would like any info you care to share.

Thank you all, it is greatly appreciated. Monty, the paint is Rustoleum Universal Metallic Turquoise. I went with that as it's pretty close and didn't cost me an arm and a leg lol. 6 bucks at Menards. Always glad to share and help out fellow modelers if I can.?

16 minutes ago, Geno said:

Thank you all, it is greatly appreciated. Monty, the paint is Rustoleum Universal Metallic Turquoise. I went with that as it's pretty close and didn't cost me an arm and a leg lol. 6 bucks at Menards. Always glad to share and help out fellow modelers if I can.?

Gotta love it when a paint is relatively inexpensive, available, and gives you an option that might not be available in the regular hobby racks. 

What kind of primer is best for Rustoleum?  Never used it before and don't want to have any styrene crazing. 

13 hours ago, Monty said:

Gotta love it when a paint is relatively inexpensive, available, and gives you an option that might not be available in the regular hobby racks. 

What kind of primer is best for Rustoleum?  Never used it before and don't want to have any styrene crazing. 

I would use Dupli-Color/Plasti-Kote.

Charlie Larkin

18 hours ago, Monty said:

Monty, I used Rustoleum Professional also from Menards lol. It laid on smoothly, I let it dry a couple of days then wet sanded it lightly and let it dry good before putting on the color coats.I generally go to Menards as they have an exceptional array of paints, even your regular Testors model paints. In general, whatever brand paint I use I use the same brand primer & clear since I know it'll be compatible for the most part, at least I haven't had any issues by doing that.

Edited by Geno