Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mazda RX7 1:24

Funkychiken

Yesterday I clear coated, and just like my previous Porsche 959, i've had to fight the paintwork.

this is:

Zero grey primer a few coats with sanding in-between

Alclad II Lacquer steel - a few light coats for consistent coverage

Alcad II Enamel Candy Orange - many coats

Zero 2k Diamond clear

The main issues are:

Dust - for some reason, the Enamel atracts tonnes more dust than a normal zero base coat - both during spraying, and after.

Roughness - the enamel does not lay some smoothly. however, it didn't seem to matter,  the bonnet was the roughest finish pre clear, and it turned out the smoothest final coat

consistancy - the candy paint needs a lot more skill to get a constent finish with. a minor change in the speedat which you spray, or direction of the AB, and when it's dry, you see a different colour in some areas of the body. Then worse - when you sand out the dust and other blemishes, you end up with a "light" patch,  that remains lighter througout further coats. Due to that, it has has several coats over the last week. I really do not have the skill level to make a killer consistant finish with this candy paint.

so with all those layers, its a lot darker than intended, and I hope that the numerous dust spots buff out to a reasonable finish. the roughest spot now is the roof... but it'll buff out!

20200424_231919.jpg

20200424_231947.jpg

20200424_232012.jpg

20200424_232025.jpg

Maybe I can offer some advice on the 2K clear. It appears to be applied in a rather thick coat, which resulted in some pits in the final finish - they look like tiny craters. This is called solvent pop - which means the second coat was applied after 10 minutes, or there was too much solvent in the mixture. The theory of too much solvent is also supported by your saying it smoothed out the rough paint texture. How much thinner did you add to your clear?

4 hours ago, DiscoRover007 said:

One thing you might want to try is to pick up a Tamiya static display brush. I use this between my paint coats and it goes a long way to removing dust in my paint. I also mist the area Im spraying with water before painting.

Thanks for the advice, I will invest in the brush, and the water spray is an excellent idea!

5 hours ago, Italianhorses said:

Maybe I can offer some advice on the 2K clear. It appears to be applied in a rather thick coat, which resulted in some pits in the final finish - they look like tiny craters. This is called solvent pop - which means the second coat was applied after 10 minutes, or there was too much solvent in the mixture. The theory of too much solvent is also supported by your saying it smoothed out the rough paint texture. How much thinner did you add to your clear?

Hi Alex, I really would appreciate the advice.

I've used the mix ratio on the bottle, by volume...

1 part thinner

2 parts hardener

4 parts clear

And I use a technique whereby thinner is added between coats, 5 mins between coats.

1st coat is a light mist

2nd coat is a heavier mist, with added thinner

3rd coat is heavy with added thinner.

So potentially I'm adding too much thinner. And yes, there is pitting in the final coat that didn't appear to be there when I'd finished spraying.

• 3 weeks later...

Body shell 99% complete, just needs a clean & wax, then the window pieces and lights.

was sanded with micromesh and polished with heavy scratch & light scratch Nuovos polish. Most of the details ahve also been picked out - like the side indicator lights & the black window surrounds

body 1.jpg

body 2.jpg

Interior and body paint look great!

For the lights - it should have a faint outline of the area to be painted imprinted there. Take a piece of masking tape, and stick it over it, then find that outline and lightly run a side of a soft pencil over it - that will transfer the outline to the masking tape. Peel it off, cut along the line with a sharp blade - and there you have it - a custom paint mask! Put back on, and spray or brush paint away.

29 minutes ago, Funkychiken said:

I really don't know how to do this tail light, its being hand painted, but its prominent in the final assembly, and hand painted, will not look very good... Any Suggestions?

tail light.jpg

Love the paint color, doing a good job far as I can tell, but I should study the advice given.

Clear taillights is a pet peeve of mine.  I've been using stickers more, avoids the brush strokes, and creates sharp edges.  If AAA Insurance isn't in England, then don't know what else to suggest, perhaps red electrical tape.

16 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Love the paint color, doing a good job far as I can tell, but I should study the advice given.

Clear taillights is a pet peeve of mine.  I've been using stickers more, avoids the brush strokes, and creates sharp edges.  If AAA Insurance isn't in England, then don't know what else to suggest, perhaps red electrical tape.

Maybe paint it form the inside as good as possible and the smoke it on the outside?

On 5/17/2020 at 8:54 PM, Italianhorses said:

Interior and body paint look great!

For the lights - it should have a faint outline of the area to be painted imprinted there. Take a piece of masking tape, and stick it over it, then find that outline and lightly run a side of a soft pencil over it - that will transfer the outline to the masking tape. Peel it off, cut along the line with a sharp blade - and there you have it - a custom paint mask! Put back on, and spray or brush paint away.

Thanks Alex, I think this is the route i'll take

On 5/17/2020 at 9:01 PM, Brizio said:

Love the body color

Thanks Fabrizio!

On 5/17/2020 at 9:15 PM, 89AKurt said:

Thanks Kurt, I will definately try the tape method on a future build, I'd never have thought of it, great tip!

On 5/18/2020 at 1:18 PM, matthijsgrit said:

Maybe paint it form the inside as good as possible and the smoke it on the outside?

Good suggestion on the Smoke Matthijs, I will be doing that too, but i'll still hand paint the colour, and mask/AB the black... unfortunately I've snapped the tail light peice whilst painting it... Doh! The clear plastic is so much more brittle than the coloured stuff...

And this is where I am now.

2 remaining points - the seat belt hanger I added is conflicting with the glazing, I'm going to heat it and bend it in, or cut it off and put a spacer in

And the tail light is yet to be done... this will be my lock down build - hopefully complete within 1 week - the quickest I've ever completed a build - by far!

20200521_142542.jpg

20200521_142720.jpg

On 5/21/2020 at 4:10 PM, Italianhorses said:

Looks great!

On 5/22/2020 at 3:14 AM, Jonathan said:

Really like the color choice!

On 5/23/2020 at 12:34 AM, Dann Tier said:

STUNNING EVERYTHING!!!!!

Johnathan, Alex & Dann, thanks for your kind comments!

The tail light is taking longer than I imagined. It's had a few hand brushed coates of clear red & orange, left to dry, then it snapped.

so here i'm using the body as a jog to glue the 2 pieces together.

tail light fix.jpg

After leaving over night for the PVA to set, when taking off the tape, it left print marks in the clear red!

had to sand down a little with micomesh.

then carefuly mask the underside & give it a few coats of Tamiya Smoke thinned with Lacquer.

this tail light process has now taken a week!

I dont't understand how folk can build a car on a weekend...

tail light smoke.jpg