Model Cars Magazine Forum

Link-Belt HC-218 Truck Crane

On 12/22/2020 at 12:02 AM, Chariots of Fire said:

Here's an example of brass steering knuckles.  The long end fits into a tube that is within the axle.  Makes the whole thing quite strong.

028.JPG.d300db0bd08659ce4ee819e9cbd88fce.JPG

Gonna have to give that a serious look! Though I dont solder anything other than copper tubing I may give it a go machining out of aluminum. 

Giving this a try on the front steering.  Knuckles from an IHC COE and heavily reinforced tie rods and metal rod pivots and axles.  Still have to make the drag links, radius rods, steering cylinders and steering box, but I think it will work well. 

3CD4F919-4138-45CA-9641-F86A11E37FC8.jpeg

8ABD574D-3115-42D6-BD5D-DC1F79EA90D4.jpeg

73A4A594-DEBF-4E39-9EB7-61ADFAA26E42.jpeg

DE2AA796-8B60-42D4-AC68-686021DC32C0.jpeg

DFBB2188-D7CB-4916-BFA5-8B1184F452B2.jpeg

Edited by redneckrigger

1 hour ago, Chariots of Fire said:

That's pretty cool work!  The diagrams certainly were a great help in getting things in proportion but the actual work you put in is fantastic.  

Thank you.  Having the real one to photograph sure helps too! Of course, count the number of bits and pieces involved, triple it, and you come maybe somewhat close to how many pieces I made before I got to this point!

246F5104-4DB5-41EA-98D0-215EFE5E0117.jpeg

9A625F0F-6A92-4C48-AC48-666D2EBAE899.jpeg

A89C5334-3B53-40A0-9FB6-2987D1750FB4.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Craftsmanship, my man, Craftsmanship!  Love it!?️

Thank you Charlie............................means a LOT to me coming from you! Some of the details are a little crude, but when done, painted and weathered, it will be fine.  I think I enjoy the research, engineering and design, and conversion of the real thing to 1/25 scale plastic than I enjoy actually completing the build. Every time I step outside my comfort zone, I learn from builders like you, and develop my own skills, which is no mean feat as we get older and our fingers get a mind of their own! Finally got out of the builders block I had going on, and am having a blast doing this now. Stay safe and healthy my friend!

This is really impressive work! There's a certain satisfaction that comes with creating something from raw material, that I cannot imagine living without. This is inspirational, to me. Like Charles said, craftsmanship is a beautiful thing, and it's happening here, in spades! I will definitely be following this project.

Tim Bongard, who some of you may know used a phrase many years ago.  He called it Imagineering.  That's what it takes in this miniature world of ours.  Creating something small to look like something much bigger and employing out-of-the-box ideas and methods to get it done.  I've learned much over the years and it has been a fun trip.  Tom has somewhat of an advantage in this department as he is familiar with a lot of different kinds of equipment and has some really good sources to work from.    Keep it up Tom!!

5 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Tim Bongard, who some of you may know used a phrase many years ago.  He called it Imagineering.  That's what it takes in this miniature world of ours.  Creating something small to look like something much bigger and employing out-of-the-box ideas and methods to get it done.  I've learned much over the years and it has been a fun trip.  Tom has somewhat of an advantage in this department as he is familiar with a lot of different kinds of equipment and has some really good sources to work from.    Keep it up Tom!!

Well said Charlie.  Yup, met Tim at a show many years ago and remember that term. And it is spot on.  If it has the “look”, it works!!!