Model Cars Magazine Forum

Link-Belt HC-218 Truck Crane

On 2/22/2022 at 4:25 AM, PHPaul said:

Fabulous!

T'was me, I'd be awful tempted to leave it unpainted just to show off all the intricate fabrication that went into building it.

The other possibility would be to do two. Throughout the build make two sets of everything. One to be painted and one to be shown in raw plastic. Although I think the idea would be better suited for a slightly less involved project.

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

The other possibility would be to do two. Throughout the build make two sets of everything. One to be painted and one to be shown in raw plastic. Although I think the idea would be better suited for a slightly less involved project.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got a headache even THINKING about making two of these monsters! All kidding aside, I do admit there is a certain something about seeing it in the raw state. Kind of like looking at an awesome 1/35 scale build of an armored vehicle that has a lot of scratchbuilding and photo etched, and resin parts included. It looks really cool to see it before it all gets covered with paint! The photos I take of the build in progress will have to suffice. But, it's been two years since I started it with LOTS to go yet, so it may NEVER see paint. Whoever inherits it after I'm gone can worry about it!

On 2/28/2022 at 9:43 PM, Dieselhead said:

Wow! The carrier looks great! Do you intend to build the upper to be poseable or are you going to set the crane up as a static model?

The whole thing will be as functional as I can make it, the carrier steers, has suspension, outriggers work.  The crane upper will also completely work. 

Edited by redneckrigger

• 4 weeks later...

Having a hard time finding time to spend at the bench as life continues to interfere. But, was able to make up the base for the upper works as well as the main side plates for the drive system. Got the gears all installed which took a bit of work to get them all to engage properly. There is a tremendous amount of mechanical work to be done here but it sure is fun! And Charlie, that zip tie idea worked superbly! Thank you!

471CB4E0-8FD4-4985-8C48-FE8F4F6CDB06.jpeg

9E6B5061-42B3-43EA-A1A2-C2DFA8CA68BD.jpeg

A4861C16-1984-4D03-9B25-CE79BE5FF487.jpeg

7E5E7B57-8451-40CF-A0B2-F4B7265A2A3D.jpeg

60AED94F-8144-4902-ADA6-1C6D57388BFB.jpeg

A2988B8C-E13D-4F41-88E3-599A1649C8E7.jpeg

I made up the drums today and all of the clutch/brake housings .  Now working on the inner workings of the clutch/brakes as well as the auxiliary drum brakes and planetary gear drives for the hoist drums. Yup, it’s almost been two years this has been on the bench.  I figure I’ve got about 4-500 hours in it so far, which includes research, engineering, figuring out just how to do something, parts and materials sourcing, and putting it all together.  

052022D4-BB2D-4453-8435-7B008EBC9F29.jpeg

38C4F1DF-9550-42EC-B32A-976F0D79CAC7.jpeg

FDE7032B-FABB-4518-87B1-781AD61C10B4.jpeg

Edited by redneckrigger

15 minutes ago, Mopar - D said:

Another awesome progress update Tom. 

Thanks Dan. Unfortunately the updates are too few and too far between as I tend to get bogged down in the details. But, since I enjoy the details I guess it's just gonna take time! At this rate, I MIGHT wrap it up in another two years. And then, I can move on to the kits in my stash, as long as I don't embark on another scratch build odyssey! Even so, at age 67 right now, if I get going real hard right now, I MIGHT reach the end of my stash at about the age of 435! All kidding aside, I know that I could build even this crane all buttoned up, with zero working features, kind of like a curbside build, but it simply would not satisfy me, so, full blown detail job it is!

Made up the first clutch/brake mechanism and installed it.   Kinda tricky figuring out which drum/gear/clutch/shaft all has to get glued to which in order to make sure the drums can turn independent of each other and make the whole thing at least look somewhat proper.  One down seven more to go!

0B6C7948-D4C5-4B8F-9331-CF3FFF545842.jpeg

6A54CA0C-C082-4CD3-85D4-977305378CDD.jpeg

5E9C71A6-D438-4342-8772-D00ABAAE849E.jpeg

19 minutes ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Hey, I have a clock model and a Mr. Machine you might like to build. Great job. such meticulous work. You and Charlie are special builders/craftsmen of the hobby

greg

Thank you Greg. I remember my Mr. Machine from when I was a kid. Built it, took it apart and used it to power an old Buddy L dump truck, that we promptly blew up just for the heck of it. I am absolutely humbled to be mentioned in the same sentence as Charlie, but he is several quantum levels WAY beyond me!

Edited by redneckrigger