Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some years back my mate Roger received a 1970 AVS Shadow kit from his friend Walt in the States.  Recently he received another, thanks Walt,  so he gave it to me.  After seeing Rich's DN4 in the Under Glass section of this forum I decided I had better post my WIP.  It just happens to be April's subject in the latest Pete Lyons Velocity calendar!!

Tks for looking

Dave B

IMG_7805.JPG

IMG_7804.JPG

12 hours ago, dwc43 said:

WOW! That thing looks like a V8 powered go kart instead of a race car.

That's essentially what it was. Can Am in those days was wide open to experimentation, being pretty much a Formula Libre class. Still, I would not want to lose an argument with some Armco Barrier in that car. That would be a quick route to a burial plot

11 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

That's essentially what it was. Can Am in those days was wide open to experimentation, being pretty much a Formula Libre class. Still, I would not want to lose an argument with some Armco Barrier in that car. That would be a quick route to a burial plot

I agree, I wont nothing to do with putting that into a wall.

I got hit from behind one night and backed a dirt track car into the turn two wall, at the exit ,at almost a buck. I go by what my brother says, he said," I don't know how high it got off the ground, all I can tell you is that I could walk under it and I could not jump up and touch it." Last thing I remember was looking at something blue. Had to be looking at the roof. When I woke up the car was almost up against the wall just as the wall turns to make turn three. Not sure how I made it from two down the back stretch turn three. That's my worst tangle with a wall.

• 1 month later...

I have received the decals from Indycal but when sizing the vent decals against the body I decided that the kit is out of proportion, it is too short between the leading edge of the door and the rear of the front wheel opening.  The front wheel openings themselves may also be a little small. As the body looks in perspective I decided to open the vents to suit the body instead of using the decals.  Since it is a solid resin block this to a little work but I am happy with how it is coming along.

Tks for looking and comments appreciated, good or bad!

IMG_7883.JPG

IMG_7878.JPG

IMG_7881.JPG

On 4/6/2020 at 9:03 AM, dwc43 said:

WOW! That thing looks like a V8 powered go kart instead of a race car.

Motor Sport did a story once, I forget if it was about Follmer or this Shadow, but it had full page photo of Follmer sitting in it, with the front body off.  The front intake trumpets were right behind his helmet, the steering wheel over his knees and his feet scrunched up between the dashboard and the front suspension.  The caption read:  "George Follmer was a very brave driver."

On 6/5/2020 at 7:48 PM, Eagle36 said:

Motor Sport did a story once, I forget if it was about Follmer or this Shadow, but it had full page photo of Follmer sitting in it, with the front body off.  The front intake trumpets were right behind his helmet, the steering wheel over his knees and his feet scrunched up between the dashboard and the front suspension.  The caption read:  "George Follmer was a very brave driver."

Braver than I. lol