Model Cars Magazine Forum

What’s your most and least favourite task?

I like building engines the most even though I haven’t gotten super detailed with them. Body paint is a close second and would be first if it didn’t result in dissatisfaction sometimes. I don’t like doing interiors, mostly because the fine detail on the dash and gauges frustrates me!

Edited by NOBLNG

I've grown to hate, loathe, abhor, and detest paint-detailing wheels. :angry:

The only thing I hate MORE is plain chrome wheels that haven't been paint-detailed. Just makes the whole model look unfinished and toylike*. :angry::angry:

*There are a few exceptions, such as Cragar S/S wheels. 

Building and detailing engines is number one, to me the engine is the soul of a car and it tells you so much about what a vehicle is capable of. Least favorite is probably all the little final details to get a build on the shelf, headlight lenses, door handles, mirrors, all the little fiddly bits that can wreck a build.

I build mostly heavily modified stuff. I like the concept and design phase the most. Problem solving, determining everything will fit and would actually work.The early roughing-in of custom bodywork and mechanical mockups also appeal, as it allows me to see what the final result will be.

After that, it becomes drudgery.

I love prepping and painting bodies, detail painting engines and using washes. I also love painting interiors and applying flocking.  What I can't stand is masking and painting the black trim inside windows. I've read all the techniques. But I just cannot figure out how to get a clean and professional look.

Mostest: fabricating little details from metals, and making them operable.
Leastest: Putting on carbon-fiber decals, spark plug wires, getting a perfect shiny paint job, I could go on.  Why do I build models anyway? ?

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I build mostly heavily modified stuff. I like the concept and design phase the most. Problem solving, determining everything will fit and would actually work.The early roughing-in of custom bodywork and mechanical mockups also appeal, as it allows me to see what the final result will be.

After that, it becomes drudgery.

I wouldn't go so far as say drudgery, but I'll agree with everything else Bill said. I'll work for hours in the early phases, but when it's time to paint and assemble, I like to do a little bit at a time. 20-40 minutes here and there, paint and assemble the last pieces painted. This usually keeps my quality high because I'm not rushing.

8 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

I wouldn't go so far as say drudgery, but I'll agree with everything else Bill said. I'll work for hours in the early phases, but when it's time to paint and assemble, I like to do a little bit at a time. 20-40 minutes here and there, paint and assemble the last pieces painted. This usually keeps my quality high because I'm not rushing.

When I get to final assembly, it’s more like “do one thing, walk away until it dries”.

Like my current project. This morning I put exhaust onto chassis, letting it dry.
Last evening I discovered the windshield had a big scratch on the inside. Of course it was already installed. Pulled it out, found another windshield. Masked it off for the black trim. Sprayed it quick. Walked away to let dry. This morning I removed the mask and installed it with canopy cement, now drying! This afternoon? Install interior rear view mirror, two minutes. You guessed! Walk away and wait for it to dry!

7 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

When I get to final assembly, it’s more like “do one thing, walk away until it dries”.

Like my current project. This morning I put exhaust onto chassis, letting it dry.
Last evening I discovered the windshield had a big scratch on the inside. Of course it was already installed. Pulled it out, found another windshield. Masked it off for the black trim. Sprayed it quick. Walked away to let dry. This morning I removed the mask and installed it with canopy cement, now drying! This afternoon? Install interior rear view mirror, two minutes. You guessed! Walk away and wait for it to dry!

Yes!  This is exactly my least favorite part!  I try and have a couple of projects staggered usually so I’m not waiting for paint to dry forever before I can work on something, but this is definitely my least favorite part of the process 

Guess I need a dehydrator ?‍♂️?

Free floating hood ornaments, door handles, windshield wipers. These are all so small and have little contact area to glue and are often to small to pin. Course no matter what type of glue you use it wants to go everywhere but the mounting point. I can pretty much muddle through the rest.     

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I've grown to hate, loathe, abhor, and detest paint-detailing wheels. :angry:

The only thing I hate MORE is plain chrome wheels that haven't been paint-detailed. Just makes the whole model look unfinished and toylike*. :angry::angry:

*There are a few exceptions, such as Cragar S/S wheels. 

So true for me also,,I try to detail rally wheels,,and theres a trick to it for sure to make them look good. Wish I had a lifetime supply of SS Cragars