Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 Ford Coupe 60's Hot Rod

Dennis Lacy

This is a project I first started messing with about a year ago but it never got much past the stage of propping up some wheels and tires next to it. I randomly got inspired yesterday to pull it out and put in some work.

While there's things about these Revell "A" kits I surely would have done different, the only real gripe I have is their decision to render the bodies with raised wheel arches. They also made the wheel wells unnecessarily deep while they were at it. To solve both of those problems I cut the wheel wells away from the interior side panels and then mounted them into the body down lower. I then restored the bead around them with .040" half-round and then sanded it flat to match the existing beads on the body.

1586134265587-vi.jpg

1586134299403-vi.jpg

With the wheel wells in place the body would no longer fit onto the Revell '32 series frame, they interfered with the molded in floor. I made some relief notches in both sides of the rear, raised floor area.

1586134233273-vi.jpg

The wheel well basically replaces the removed material visually.

1586134320029-vi.jpg

1586134333195-vi.jpg

1586134333673-vi.jpg

I also had to match the bottom edges of the wells to the shape of the frame.

1586134317845-vi.jpg

1586134350096-vi.jpg

The '32 kit rear axle (Ford 9") was lowered by trimming the air bags to get the axle tubes up against the frame rails. I ditched the disc brakes in favor of drums by using a pair of modified plates from the AMT '29 Roadster and the finned drums from AMT's '32 Vicky.

1586134310917-vi.jpg

The top section of the body is from Drag City Casting and has a beautifully reworked top insert detail that he mastered. He makes the whole body but I elected to keep the plastic lower half because of all of the wheel well work.

1586134309386-vi.jpg

Here's the whole thing up on its wheels for the first time. The '32 series front axle had the spring trimmed to get the front end down. The rear frame horns were bobbed after cutting out the gas tank and a spreader bar installed tucking just under the back edge of the body. The wheels, tires and printed slicks are all a set from one of AMT's recent parts packs and the Pontiac engine is AMT parts pack as well. .

1586134100510-vi.jpg

1586134111583-vi.jpg

1586134121631-vi.jpg

1586134129423-vi.jpg

1586134137194-vi.jpg

1586134191687-vi.jpg

That's it for now... 

ADL, I guess I'll have to figure out another way of expressing my sincere appreciation for your classic style and grace in bringing traditional hot rod ques and period perfect parts together!  I know we go way back and I've been privileged to be one of your mentors along with @Rockin' Rodney Rat and truly commend you on how well your skills and execution have improved over the past few years.  This little koop is again right up there with all of your other very kemp rods in your model stable.  I know RRR feels very much the same as I do... keep up the good work and know that a fortunate few are now your faithful followers and are learning about and seeing the 60's hot rod scene through your kool kreations!  -KK

I agree about the rear wheel wells and I like how you resolved them, I’m taking notes - hope you don’t mind. Your craftsmanship is outstanding and inspiring. Keep it going please.

Edited by carnut

On 4/7/2020 at 7:52 AM, Kit Karson said:

ADL, I guess I'll have to figure out another way of expressing my sincere appreciation for your classic style and grace in bringing traditional hot rod ques and period perfect parts together!  I know we go way back and I've been privileged to be one of your mentors along with @Rockin' Rodney Rat and truly commend you on how well your skills and execution have improved over the past few years.  This little koop is again right up there with all of your other very kemp rods in your model stable.  I know RRR feels very much the same as I do... keep up the good work and know that a fortunate few are now your faithful followers and are learning about and seeing the 60's hot rod scene through your kool kreations!  -KK

Thanks for the kind words, as always, brother KK!

UPDATE!

I didn't mention it last time but I am using a slightly trimmed Revell '32 series firewall to make room for the big Pontiac. I thought it looked kind of funky without any lip around the edge so I cut the lip away from the channeled option firewall in the '30 Coupe kit and attached it. From there I slightly modified the floor pan from a Revell '32 3-Window kit by removing material from the sides and removing the bulkhead at the back end. The bottom of the firewall needed to be trimmed 3/32" but mates up to the toe board portion of the floor perfectly. The interior panels and seat from the '30 Coupe kit were slightly tweaked to fit with the floor and I installed some alignment blocks on the floor so that the seat stays properly positioned.

1586662003217-vi.jpg

1586661994131-vi.jpg

1586661974924-vi.jpg

1586661950457-vi.jpg

1586661942139-vi.jpg

I also finalized the setup on the Pontiac engine. The block, heads, valve covers, intake/carburetors/air filters, Spalding dual coil distributor and Hydro auto trans are AMT Pontiac parts pack. The headers (factory cast iron style), front cover/water pump/fuel pump and fan are Revell Pontiac parts pack. The belt drive is from AMT's '36 Ford kits and I also installed actual, separate valve cover breathers from AMT's '34 Coupe (street rod version.) The heads were really plain looking so based on Pontiac 421 reference pictures so I added bolt heads from Grandt Line.

1586661960354-vi.jpg

1586661974433-vi.jpg

Next up I need to choose a dash board and steering wheel, make a steering column and install details like pedals and shifter.

UPDATE!

Got the car mocked back together and decided to try a Revell '32 hood top on it. If I keep the hood I'll need to raise the grill shell a touch because there's a little too much slope as it is. Also, there's a couple of close up pics of the fully mocked up engine fit back in.

1586743173998-vi.jpg

1586743164387-vi.jpg

1586743181694-vi.jpg

1586743198199-vi.jpg

1586743221672-vi.jpg

Hi Dennis, another great project coming along here.  Really enjoying your efforts to nail the proportions and stance.  The setback Pontiac is a great look.  I will be interested to see your approach in blending the swage lines from the hood to the cowl.  I have an AMT 32 Vicky converted to fit the Revell Deuce platform but still haven't tackled the hood graft.

For what it's worth, a narrowed 49 or 50 Ford dash would go nice in this car.

I will finish today my first Revell 30 coupe, a totally different look to yours but I grinned when I saw that I had put my seat locating blocks in exactly the same location of yours.  I created some issues for myself by using the full pleated interior with the channelled chassis.  The floor will fit but you have to pop it up into the body and then drop down into place.  The kit seat was then too high but the channelled seat from the 29 roadster was perfect but couldn't be installed til after the floor was glued in place - thus the need for blocks!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton