Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Ads Are Now Out of Control!

Yeah, I'd hate to run an ad block if Gregg is relying on ads for revenue to support the forum. On the other hand, it is very difficult to surf here with the ads being like they are. 

I'll check back in a couple of days to see if it's fixed.

1 hour ago, Xingu said:

The problem, I believe, is that Google Ads keeps changing how they do things without telling folks about it. So just when you have things under control they change it up.

That summarizes our situation quite nicely. I’m ready to drive to Mountain View and throttle someone. 

49 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

I get the fact ads help pay the bills..... but, advertising is way out of control in this country. There are items I will refuse to buy just because their TV ads are so annoying. Just my two cents.

Same here! I can't even count the car insurance companies that I would NEVER deal with.

I agree that advertising is out of control. Now youtube videos break for ads every 5 minutes. You have to wait 5 seconds before you can click to get back to video. Annoying but I refuse to pay for no ads.

As far as paying for site access. If Gregg approves I hope there would be a free option. Second for the people that contribute is the fee going to be waved. Also who is going to handle the membership. Somebody is going to have to oversee the memberships. Gregg doesn't have the time. Its one thing to ask people to moderate the board but those mods are busy enough. It requires a dedicated person to do the job.

9 hours ago, RichCostello said:

Same here! I can't even count the car insurance companies that I would NEVER deal with.

If I hear that Liberty Liberty Liberty Liberty again I think I’ll throw up. I literally switch TV stations when it comes on. Not to mention, it only took a month of manually transferring it to my JUNK box in my yahoo mail. Seems they are figuring a way to by pass the sensors in mail now. 

11 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

Why is it that 20 years ago you rarely(if ever)saw a car insurance commercial, and now there's one every 5 minuets on every channel?

I get my car insurance from a great company that NEVER advertises(and it's cheaper too).

Worse than the insurance commercials, which can at least be entertaining occasionally, (ie, Geico) is the drug commercials!

I see these almost constantly!

And they're all just the same stupid add for different drugs using dopey actors and some bad 40 year old song with the name of the drug worked into the lyrics!

I just want to hurl every time I see one!! ??

Steve

38 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

Why is it that 20 years ago you rarely(if ever)saw a car insurance commercial, and now there's one every 5 minuets on every channel?

I get my car insurance from a great company that NEVER advertises(and it's cheaper too).

Like people are going to get right in the phone and cancel their insurance after viewing your commercial? Those companies take advantage of younger people is all I can figure. My policy might be a few dollars more, but when you figure in how much coverage you have, where you wouldn’t have to take out of pocket, because you don’t have adequate insurance, limited tort, etc, where are the savings?
These companies are selling just enough insurance so you will be “legal” to drive. 

Edited by Brutalform

21 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Worse than the insurance commercials, which can at least be entertaining occasionally, (ie, Geico) is the drug commercials!

And they're all just the same stupid add for different drugs using dopey actors and some bad 40 year old song with the name of the drug worked into the lyrics!

Steve

And.. there are some companies that have the market pretty much covered. When I see a commercial from Pepto Bismol, with some sexy guy singing about upset stomach and diarrhea. I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m pretty sure I don’t need to be reminded what to buy if I have these ailments. Pretty much a no brainer. 

When I want to click into the end of a thread, I am taken to the first post on that page until the ad at the top of the page decides to load. Then maybe I get to see the last post without having to scroll down. Maybe. Then when I scroll down, I  frequently am greeted with the screenshot. Is it an ad that isn't loading, or is it a post not loading? 

Nevermind having to wait for the ad at the top of the page to finish loading so that it can resize the forum and become full width. Sorry if I have missed any of my forum friends' birthdays, I am rarely allowed to view the right column.

I most frequently visit the forum on an Android tablet. I have not found an acceptable answer for ad blocking without a third party browser.

I don't demand internet content for free, I just don't appreciate the ads screwing up the experience. Go look at Jalopnik if you want ad overload, but you can still view the articles. 

Screenshot_2020-04-08-17-01-55.png

5 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

You'd think that the doctors of people with those conditions would know about these drugs and be prescribing them. Why are they selling them to US? WE can't go buy them if we want to ever so badly!!!:angry:

10 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

You'd think that the doctors of people with those conditions would know about these drugs and be prescribing them. Why are they selling them to US? WE can't go buy them if we want to ever so badly!!!:angry:

When new drugs come out the doctor always tell me. Many times drugs go generic and a new one come out that does the same thin but with a price. The ads does add to the price. Very little has been done for Multiple Sclerosis in the 28 years I have had it.

As I understand, adds are often made annoying to catch your attention (doesn't matter that it you feel negative about it).  That is lots of psychology that goes into producing ads.  And ad agencies make lots of money for making those ads (and I'm sure they tell their clients that it is vital to flood the market with ads for their products).

I also find the names of all  those medicines in the ads really weird. I was told that those names are actually randomly generated by a computer program.

https://www.latimes.com/business/lazarus/la-fi-lazarus-drug-names-20190719-story.html

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The one time that I asked my doctor, who was a respected Mayo Clinic doc, about a drug that I saw in a commercial, he gave me this face.

skeptical-baby-face.jpg

And said, "Yeah..... it really doesn't work".

Steve

They should be less obnoxious now. I adjusted the settings, and I'll be the first to admit, I'm no expert in this area. We are bringing in some outside expertise, and making the ads more relevant will be one of their goals. 

I'm sure you'll all leave me plenty of feedback. 

Thanks,
Dave

These adds are like the "Snake Oil Salesmen" of old. They try and sell you a drug for a sickness you didn't even know you had. The Insurance adds are truly false advertising but they pay their co-conspirators well. My feeling is that one of the reasons our insurance coverage is so expensive is the advertising expenses. Last year with a big increase in our Home & Auto. Insurance I shopped around with the different companies that promise to save us hundreds. Not only were the companies I checked with in a Big Mac of the old policy they somehow knew what our premiums were now. The inquires to the credit bureaus also meant our credit score was effected and we have had no credit issues and no claims. Now they want to prorate any claims for roof damage since our "40 year roof" is now 15 years old. They aren't adjusting the premiums except going up, and only reducing the protection. Now these same advertisers will not let us read our Forum in peace. Do I sound upset yet.