Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Ads Are Now Out of Control!

41 minutes ago, Casey said:

The solution has existed for years-- run an ad blocker-- but some members are too arrogant to do so:

"I don't need to worry about installing an add blocker on any other forum. I shouldn't need to have one here either."

I seem to recall at some point the mods asking us NOT to run ad blockers, so the site could get its ad views up, which would help with site expenses. This is why I don't run one, not "arrogance." Or did I just imagine this? 

56 minutes ago, Casey said:

The solution has existed for years-- run an ad blocker-- but some members are too arrogant to do so:

"I don't need to worry about installing an add blocker on any other forum. I shouldn't need to have one here either."

The problem is you continue to let them publicly complain about something they could have resolved long ago. Don't make their arrogance everyone else's problem.

They aren't arrogant, they are being supportive and we ask them to let us know when the ad layouts change. Most folks are trying to to help support the site by keeping the ad revenue coming in. We are trying to find the middle ground with what is tolerable with the ads, but Google keeps changing the rules and not letting us know about it. The ads do seem to be effect folks differently though, as I have never seen some the ads like most recently posted. Folks do know that they can reinstall an ad blocker if they find the ads too obtrusive. We have had some preliminary discussions on a add free subscription to the site.

3 hours ago, Xingu said:

They aren't arrogant, they are being supportive and we ask them to let us know when the ad layouts change. Most folks are trying to to help support the site by keeping the ad revenue coming in. We are trying to find the middle ground with what is tolerable with the ads, but Google keeps changing the rules and not letting us know about it. The ads do seem to be effect folks differently though, as I have never seen some the ads like most recently posted. Folks do know that they can reinstall an ad blocker if they find the ads too obtrusive. We have had some preliminary discussions on a add free subscription to the site.

Maybe arrogant wasn't the right word. I use an ad blocker which also blocks trackers. These trackers are what determine what ads you see. I changed my internet tv access to a Roku streamer about 2 years ago. Many channels will allow access without ads for a nominal monthly $2 on fee. I would not be adverse to the ability to contribute a small yearly fee of $25 in support of the site. 

Edited by my66s55

1 hour ago, my66s55 said:

Maybe arrogant wasn't the right word. I use an ad blocker which also blocks trackers. These trackers are what determine what ads you see. I changed my internet tv access to a Roku streamer about 2 years ago. Many channels will allow access without ads for a nominal monthly $2 on fee. I would not be adverse to the ability to contribute a small yearly fee of $25 in support of the site. 

My point is simple. We should be able to afford ourselves the luxury of ad free access  and still be able to contribute to the on going access to this forum. The year is 2020. It's time the admin moves to this time period.

Once I found this forum I created a one click favorites link directly to it and totally forgot about it's host website. Hadn't been to Model Cars Magazine for over a year and a half. Lot of stuff there, including various forms of ads it seems.  Mentioning this because, as far as I can tell, once I use my direct favorites link to get here, there is no obvious link on the forum page to the host site, which is more interesting than I realized.

Seems to me a dedicated ad promoting and linked to the host site could suffice and allow the forum to exist free of banner ads.

The Model Cars Magazine link at the top of this page is currently a link to the forum page, NOT a link to the magazine.

Edited by Flat32
clarification

This forum is hosted by the Model Cars magazine - no ifs or buts about it.  The URL also shows that clearly:
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/

So there is no reason to link from the forum back to the top page of the magazine's website - it is all the same website.  But since you asked, there is a "Subscriibe" button on the top of every forum page which brings you to the MCM's subscriptions page.

31 minutes ago, Flat32 said:

Internet security people often advise avoiding "subscribe" links. It's a poor way to get to the Host site. Just needs to have (/forum) deleted from the existing lnk at the top of the forum page.

I'm not saying that you have to click on it.  If you hover over it, you will see that is points to the parent modelcarsmag.com site.  You were stating that this forum didn't seem to be part of the magazine's website - I just pointed out that it is not the case.

On 4/14/2020 at 9:50 AM, Casey said:

The problem is you continue to let them publicly complain about something they could have resolved long ago. Don't make their arrogance everyone else's problem.

Isn't that going a little over board?

I could just as easily call you arrogant for suggesting that the rest of us are so stupid that we can't figure out how to deal with a problem like this.

The point is that this is NOT our problem.

It's the problem of the board administrators who need to keep the site accessible maneuverable and readable for anyone who wishes to come here whether they are a member or a looker and whether they have an add blocker or not. 

I don't need an add blocker for the hundreds of other sites that I visit.

I'm not going to install one for one site.

Please don't put this on the members.

It's not our responsibility to fix an obvious board problem that NEEDS to be fixed.

Steve

20 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

At this point in time let's give Dave a chance to investigate to find a balance on the ads. As he has said those revenues pay for the site. If you absolutely can't stand the ads then use an ad blocker.  

Adds are one thing.

This is not acceptable under any circumstance, and I think that we can agree on that.

image.png.ae127043e2c4581bce0f59ef10622215.png

Steve

On 4/13/2020 at 11:56 AM, Snake45 said:

I have come to loathe the emu as much I hate the lizard and Flo combined. But I would rather watch six commercials featuring all three of them than that drug one with the Alphonso guy again. :angry:

Yes! I’ve had more than enough of Alphonso! He needs to go!

i haven’t seen the Venetian blind ad view at all. I’m on iPhone now

15 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Yes! I’ve had more than enough of Alphonso! He needs to go!

I don't know if Alphonso is a "real person" or if it's an actor WAY overplaying the part. Either way, he creeps me out worse than the creepy giant-headed Burger King! :wacko::angry:

Another annoying drug commercial is the woman who's the director of a high school or college marching band. It's obvious from watching this commercial that neither that actress nor the commercial's director has ANY experience in school band or playing an instrument of any kind. :angry:

14 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I tweaked the settings again. They should be better. I'm sure you'll let me know if they aren't. ?

Thanks Dave.  Your time keeping the site working is appreciated.

I have confidence that you will figure out the issue.  Definitely a strange issue.

Side note. If the members are going to get upset about a free site. Can't image the flak if they were paying for access. 

I use an adblocker on my laptop. I see ads on my phone, they aren't too intrusive. 

The continuing issue I see is that I view "unread content" threads, and occasionally, like today, I see what look like private messages showing up in the most recent search. 

Examples old and new:

2v2EWPvhUxvKa6.jpg

2v2JNgGDNxvKa6.jpg

2v2HfJLYuxvKa6.jpg

2v2HfJL7JxvKa6.jpg

2v2HfJLRExvKa6.jpg

19 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

I use an adblocker on my laptop. I see ads on my phone, they aren't too intrusive. 

The continuing issue I see is that I view "unread content" threads, and occasionally, like today, I see what look like private messages showing up in the most recent search. 

Examples old and new:

What you are seeing are status updates. It's when someone uses a persons profile page, not private messages, to communicate. If you hover over the the little person icon to the left it will show what the activity is from.