Model Cars Magazine Forum

'48 Ford Woody Tudor

Intmd8r

Now the back hatch is starting to take shape.

What are your thoughts about he filler panels? in the mock up?

Lastly, if anyone has suggestions about tackling the "A" pillars, I'm open for suggestions.

Was hoping to keep the vinyl top, but looks like I will need to cut and extend the roof to reconnect the "A" pillars.  If I go that route, I'll just sand off the texture and paint it body color.

Thanks for looking

I've got a very similar build in my unfinished pile. I did a slice at the lower corners of the window so i could pull the pillars into line, I think i sliced about 5mm (maybe less its been unfinished a while) into the corners at about 45 degress. I didn't cut the top either, but i leaned the entire rear forward, but it may have only worked for me as i sectioned the body too. I really need to dig it out and finish it. I put it back in the box after the pillars broke at the rear so if you do a little reinforcing to the back of them you can avoid that pitfall as the fit was very tight on mine. I hope this helps sorry the pics are poor but hopefully you can see how i avoided cutting the roof

DSC01665.JPG

DSC01680.JPG

Edited by stitchdup

Thanks for sharing Leslie.  You have given me some ideas.

If I move the roof forward, angle the rear hatch back (further), and move the "B" pillars back, then the modification to the "A" pillars wouldn't be so extreme.

Believe this area will make or break the build.

I really like what you're doing on this build. STITCHUP's suggestion on moving the roof forward should save you lengthening the roof section. I would offer just two suggestions. Since you're making it a two door. Move the B Pillar toward the rear of the body to represent the back edge of the door. This would make the proportions look better. This would take some extra slicing and dicing with the wood trim, but I think it would look more like a two door than a four door with the rear door nailed shut. The filler panels from the custom coupe is something I never thought of and depending on the style you're going for that may actually give the body a sleeker appearance. You might want to see how you want to mate that panel with the wood trim. You might remove the upright wood trim on everything except the door and create wood trim of a size like the area over the rear fender, and run that along as the break between the wood and the filler panel. Again that filler panel idea really does give this a Kustom look.  

Another thing i just remembered about the side coves, when i did mine i tried to fill the gaps afterwards but in reflection I would have been better adding the plastic before i stuck them on. It was a pain trying to get them right and would have saved a lot of cussing if I had done it first. It still works the way i did it, it would just have worked better doing it first

Small update: decided to not use the custom coupe filler panels on this build.  They do however provide a decent template for lengthening the doors to a proper factory 2 door dimensions. So I started cutting...

While the filler putty was drying, decided to massage the fenders, cowl, and hood to remove the chrome trim and alter the front fenders slightly.15864348159931586434823700

Lastly, a quick mock up as to where the build is going compared to the stock proportions ...

Instead of watching glue and filler dry, I turned my attention to the chassis for my engine swap.

Wanted a period correct, vintage engine swap, so I'm going to trade the stock flathead from the '48 Woody kit with "Y" block V8 from the '49 Mercury wagon kit.  The transmission from that kit creates an interesting challenge in the '48 Ford chassis.

A comparison between the two frames:

Time to notch the frame - otherwise the engine sits too far forward:

The front of the ending needs a little massaging.

the  front cross member also needs to be notched and the rad moved forward slightly to clear the engine fan.

To change the mounting points of the rad, did more notching....

Looks like I have some more notching to do......

On 4/6/2020 at 10:37 PM, Intmd8r said:

I love what you're doing with this whole project. If it was me, I'd abandon the wood and run with this pic. I think this is a great idea, just as a steely wagon, or maybe a hint of wood as a belt line accent. Love the lines. Either way they're good ideas.

Edited by Lunajammer

I just noticed your mention of putting a Ford Y engine from the Merc. Wagon kit. I'm thinking that engine is a Cadillac engine. This may explain way you have to do so much chassis surgery.  You  have already all but got this mounted so I wouldn't change now, but the best Y block right now can be found in the new Revell '57 Ford kits.  

Cool build. Can't wait to see the end result.

Did you try swapping in the Merc chassis?

FYI, the engine is a Caddy, not a Yblock. Still period correct though.

Pay attention to the wibndshield posts. Although you chopped this, the top will be a little narrower than the bottom. Revell Botched the windshields on all the 48 Ford kits, most eveident in the chopped version.

File:SC06 1948 Ford Woody.jpg

Thanks Andy 

yes - lost of work to do still on the A pillars and rear hatch.  Just nice to see progress.

I did consider swapping chassis between the two vehicles, but the Mercury appears to be wider in scale form.  Not sure if this is accurate for the real thing.  Regardless, have plans to build the Merc to near stock specs in the future.

Decided not to half arse the engine mounting - going to rework the x bracing of the frame so that the Caddy engine looks like an OEM fit.

More Chassis work.

For those keeping score, the Caddy swap is becoming more trouble than its worth, but I'm going to see it through.

Some minor trimming of the floor pans and gentle reshaping of the trans tunnel, now everything fits all snug.

7 hours ago, David G. said:

WOW! ?

There is a lot of work going down on this!

It's going to be awesome when it's done.

David G.

7 hours ago, espo said:

The engine swap is much like a 1:1 build, but you got it in. I like how your wood work on the body is going. 

Thanks guys