Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will Microscale Decal Film..........

..... also work as a setting solution? If not, is there a product that will restore old decals, and settle them in place? I have some old decals for a current project and am thinking  about a Viper GTS as the next one.... I would like a solution that does both.

Thanks for any help!

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

Cool. I would like to find a solution that can be used as both a restorer and setting solution........

Thanks

No such thing. That's like asking for something that's both paint and a paint remover. :blink:

The Micro Decal Film works exactly as advertised. It's a clear, thin, tough film designed to keep old decals from falling apart. 

I've found that decals so restored work fine with any of the common decal setting solutions. 

So you need two products, but they each do their particular job AND they can be used together (though not of course at the same time). 

TJ, the reason modelers use  MicroScale Liquid Decal film on old decals is because the old decal clear film is cracked or shattered on the backing paper into hundreds of little pieces.  Coating that decal sheet with the film basically reconnects the shattered pieces while still on the backing paper.  So I'm not sure how you were thinking of using it for both purposes.  Were you planning on applying those hundreds of shattered decal pieces, one-by-one into the model, then applying the Liquid Decal film?

Maybe I should ask another question?  What do you think your old decals will do when dipped in water?

The old decals are just dried out... the sheet's not even tacky anymore. Also, I've tried building the Viper before and had problems with the decals laying down.....

So it looks like I'll just have to buy two products, the Liquid Film, and some setting solution.

Thanks guys........

6 minutes ago, Chris in Berwyn said:

I have never had a tacky decal sheet, new or old.  

I have, in airplanes. They had kind of a "waxy" feel. In every case I can think of, the maker included a covering sheet with these decals, which was easily peeled off. 

I don't think the "waxy" feel ever "dries out" in such sheets. 

5 hours ago, JollySipper said:

The old decals are just dried out... the sheet's not even tacky anymore. Also, I've tried building the Viper before and had problems with the decals laying down.....

So it looks like I'll just have to buy two products, the Liquid Film, and some setting solution.

Thanks guys........

If you have issues with decals laying down, you may be in need of decal solvent rather than setting solution. In MicrcScale terms, that would be MicroSol instead of MicroSet. 

Decal Bonder is basically another version of Microscale Liquid Decal film.  As for the waxy feel, sometimes decals came with a protective sheet made with wax paper. Maybe some wax got transferred to the decal surfaces?

If waxy, I would try wiping them with a paper towel moistened with Naphtha (Ronsonol lighter fluid).  That dissolves wax.  No worries if naphtha soaks into the decal paper. It will dry without affecting the decal adhesive.

Nope Microscale is nothing like the Testors Decal Bonder . The Testors  is a diluted Clear Coat. Smell it.!! I've it used on my Inkjet printed decals . Microscale just dissolved the ink. 

IMO Microscale is some sort of Vinegar concoction .

Like everybody says "experiment and use what works for you"

Good luck

Mike.  

15 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

Nope Microscale is nothing like the Testors Decal Bonder . The Testors  is a diluted Clear Coat. Smell it.!! I've it used on my Inkjet printed decals . Microscale just dissolved the ink. 

Good luck

Mike.  

"Microscale" makes a NUMBER of decal products. I've never had their Super Film dissolve any decals. 

4 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

Good luck

Mike.  

Mike, you might want to read up before posting inaccurate info.  Microscale makes multiple decal finishing products.
This thread was opened with a specific question about Microscale Liquid Decal Film. It is actually an alcohol-based clear coat.  Testors Decal Bonder is also a clear coat.  Both create a clear film over decal paper.

The vinegar-smelling solution is a decal setting solution called Micro-Set. It uses acetic-acid which is also in vinegar.  There is also Micro-Sol decal setting solution, stronger then Micro-Sol.  This one has an alcohol-like smell. Neither Micro-Set nor Micro-Sol produces any clear film when dry. Those two products are not even remotely similar to Liquid decal Film.  The only thing these 3 products have in common is that they are all designed to be used with waterslide decals.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Mike, you might want to read up before posting inaccurate info.  Microscale makes multiple decal finishing products.
This thread was opened with a specific question about Microscale Liquid Decal Film. It is actually an alcohol-based clear coat.  Testors Decal Bonder is also a clear coat.  Both create a clear film over decal paper.

The vinegar-smelling solution is a decal setting solution called Micro-Set. It uses acetic-acid which is also in vinegar.  There is also Micro-Sol decal setting solution, stronger then Micro-Sol.  This one has an alcohol-like smell. Neither Micro-Set nor Micro-Sol produces any clear film when dry. Those two products are not even remotely similar to Liquid decal Film.  The only thing these 3 products have in common is that they are all designed to be used with waterslide decals.

I stand by what I said !!!

5 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Speaking of clear coat, I think I've read that you can just spray a coat of clear lacquer over the old decals and they will hold together....... anyone have experience with that? I know you would have to trim the decals to size after.....

Yes I have tried it and it does work but Decal Bonder worked the best. Just depends on how bad the old decals are. Yes trim close .

Mike

1 hour ago, Mike 1017 said:

I stand by what I said !!!

I explained all 3 Microscale products, what they are, and how they work, and you stand by what you said?  What does that mean?  You are comparing a clear lacquer to a vinegar-smelling decal setting solution.  :blink:

15 minutes ago, peteski said:

I explained all 3 Microscale products, what they are, and how they work, and you stand by what you said?  What does that mean?  You are comparing a clear lacquer to a vinegar-smelling decal setting solution.  :blink:

I gotcher back, Peteski. You've got it exactly right here. B)

13 hours ago, peteski said:

It means I stand by what I said.

Sooooo, since I can use clear lacquer over the old ones to hold them together (I'll be using DupliColor, I hope it works....), what would I use to nestle down the stripes on the GTS? While Applying, not after they have dried onto the body...... I want them to slide around while wet on the body for ease of placement.......

Thanks, guys....

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

Sooooo, since I can use clear lacquer over the old ones to hold them together (I'll be using DupliColor, I hope it works....), what would I use to nestle down the stripes on the GTS? While Applying, not after they have dried onto the body...... I want them to slide around while wet on the body for ease of placement.......

Thanks, guys....

I use the Testor Decal Set for that.