Model Cars Magazine Forum

Locating pins

I made some beefier locating pins for the frame out of .050” round evergreen. The closest drill bit I have is .052” which worked, but I had to be careful to keep the pins from leaning over slightly. It doesn’t seem easy to find a bit this size (.050”) or any bits that match tiny evergreen or plastruct sizes.  1/16” would likely be the smallest size evergreen that would align with a common drill bit size. That is a little large for some applications. Anybody have a better way?

E424472F-438B-4F6D-8BEA-DEBA055344C2.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

I made some beefier locating pins for the frame out of .050” round evergreen. The closest drill bit I have is .052” which worked, but I had to be careful to keep the pins from leaning over slightly. It doesn’t seem easy to find a bit this size (.050”) or any bits that match tiny evergreen or plastruct sizes.  1/16” would likely be the smallest size evergreen that would align with a common drill bit size. That is a little large for some applications. Anybody have a better way?

E424472F-438B-4F6D-8BEA-DEBA055344C2.jpeg

if you have a set of micro drills, one size will be the same as paperclips and they are much cheaper than styrene

10 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

I guess you would use CA to glue the metal pins in place?

That's what I  use. 

I actually use more CA and epoxy than liquid or tube styrene cements when I build by kits.

You could say that I'm addicted to CA (and accelerator).

Edited by peteski

If the chassis mounting pins are going to be visible the Brass or paper clip ideas might work best. Should this be only for strength and not be seen often just a portion of a staple from a normal desk top stapler might serve the same purpose and they can easily be bent a little if need be to align the mounting. 

• 4 weeks later...

If you want some really sharp but equally brittle small drill bits for pinning try Drill Bits Unlimited.  He has all sorts of sizes right down to hair size.  I say brittle because they will break if you put any out of line stress on them but they are the greatest small bits ever.  It just takes getting used to.  #72 and #74 are good sizes for common pins and small brass wire.

Once I discovered the Tungsten-Carbide PC board drill bits, I use them almost exclusively for everything. Not  only they are super hard, they have split point which bites into the material faster, and doesn't wonder.  The common 1/8" shaft is also super handy (no need to keep changing collets in the pin vise, and easier to chuck into drill chucks.  Yes, they are very brittle, but one can get used to be careful with them. Plus if you order bunch of extra bits, a broken bit does not stop you in your tracks.  I used to get them on eBay, but nowadays you can pick them up from online vendors (like Charlie mentioned).

On 5/3/2020 at 9:13 PM, peteski said:

Once I discovered the Tungsten-Carbide PC board drill bits, I use them almost exclusively for everything. Not  only they are super hard, they have split point which bites into the material faster, and doesn't wonder.  The common 1/8" shaft is also super handy (no need to keep changing collets in the pin vise, and easier to chuck into drill chucks.  Yes, they are very brittle, but one can get used to be careful with them. Plus if you order bunch of extra bits, a broken bit does not stop you in your tracks.  I used to get them on eBay, but nowadays you can pick them up from online vendors (like Charlie mentioned).

From the vendor I mentioned you can order individual bits or make up a pack of 10 with your favorites.  I usually get 5 of each.  They come in a nice plastic box with the bit sizes on the label.

34 minutes ago, Chariots of Fire said:

From the vendor I mentioned you can order individual bits or make up a pack of 10 with your favorites.  I usually get 5 of each.  They come in a nice plastic box with the bit sizes on the label.

I usually look for bargains on eBay. I look for boxes of 50 for less than $20/box.  Those bargains are out there, and I know that I will eventually brake those bits, so couple dozen  spares is always nice to have.