Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 81 Toyota Truck 4X4

Here is my progress so far on this Toyota truck. All the parts are painted now except the front bumper which I still have to finish. The detail work on the interior and body still need to be done also but its coming along pretty good. This is a curbside snap kit so the part count is pretty low but the molded in detail is very nice on this kit. There were some sink marks on both bedsides right before the tail lights and the rear roll pan is supposed to curve in at the bottom but it is straight up and down, besides that its a clean kit with very little flash and it fits together well.

amt box.jpg

20200408_153515.jpg

20200408_153556.jpg

19 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Nice start Adam.

I had a 1:1 of these in red another lifetime ago...lots of fun on the hills and trails...

Keep it going ?

Cheers

Thank you. I with there was a full detail version of this truck so I could build the 22R.

I built one of these almost a year ago in the same color scheme. I made a few changes to it like getting rid of the brush guard and molded in headlights. They're good little kits for snaps. The only issue I had was the tires fit too loosely.

7 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I built one of these almost a year ago in the same color scheme. I made a few changes to it like getting rid of the brush guard and molded in headlights. They're good little kits for snaps. The only issue I had was the tires fit too loosely.

I also have gotten rid off the molded in brush guard and winch from the front bumper. I'm going to try to detail the molded in headlights but if that doesn't work out I may drill them out. I have the same tire issue, I would assume they are all like that.

3 hours ago, Adeocste said:

I'm going to try to detail the molded in headlights but if that doesn't work out I may drill them out. 

Someone on another board asked for suggestions on detailing the lights. The front corner lights are also white so my approach works for both.  

I would cover them with BMF and then a white wash so that the detail is still metallic. Once dry, give them a coat of canopy cement for depth.

Edited by Tom Geiger

On 4/11/2020 at 5:52 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Someone on another board asked for suggestions on detailing the lights. The front corner lights are also white so my approach works for both.  

I would cover them with BMF and then a white wash so that the detail is still metallic. Once dry, give them a coat of canopy cement for depth.

I have done something similar to chrome lights and it turned out OK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/1/2020 at 8:05 PM, RichCostello said:

Is this kit a 1980, or 1981?  Are the graphics on the decal sheet factory stock Toyota? I did a google search, and couldn't find one Toyota pickup with those 4x4 stripes.

The kit is a 1980. The decals are an interpretation of stock, but I've not seen these in 1:1 either.

I've owned 2x 83's in my lifetime,  a red one and a black one. I too wish we could get a full kit with a 22R to build. I posted my build of this kit in red (a close replica of my red 83). I want another to build my black one. 

This is looking good! Can't wait to see the finished product.