Model Cars Magazine Forum

I got this last year from a friend and figured I should rebuild it for my garage as a shop truck. I got it taken apart & it's in pretty good shape even though it had a lot of stuff glued on it. I'm not sure but I might get one of the new 65 66 F100 kits for the chassis.

SUNP0003 (2).JPG

SUNP0005 (2).JPG

SUNP0006 (1).JPG

16 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I'll be watching this one! I love unibodies! I wouldn't use the chassis from the Moebius '65. It isn't even right for the '65. Better to use the chassis from the AMT '53 F-100 and lengthen it.

Very true, unless of course your doing a hot rod. But even then a scratch built would look better than Mobeusssss

This should be interesting to watch. I know I have at least 2 of these that I built back when they were new. I remember uncovering one a few years ago, I was always so proud of these builds. Memory has a way of playing tricks on you, or maybe I just didn't notice the orange peal so much back then. 

On 4/12/2020 at 10:32 PM, mchook said:

Thanks guys, I might try to scratch build a frame but for right now I need help. What can I do to fix the tailgate without messing up the letters?

62f100.JPG

You might consider making a painting mask of the letters or even if you can somehow cast them. Then sand the area as smooth as posable and then cot a filler panel as thin as posable to cover that area. Then use either the mask or casting to recreate that part of the bed. Or just cut a thin piece of plastic to cover then use a larger Blue Oval decal to complete.   

Aren't those letters a big too big anyway? I'd cut out that center panel and fit one from a Mobuis or Bronco kit. MAYBE?

OR, you could cut out the center panel, then cut off the ends just before the F and just after the D, that D doesn't look so bad, then make new ends, only seams would be above and below the letters.

11 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

image.png.3ede191235233cc2b5ac9712bfae2593.png

actually the real letters are pretty big!  A bit more narrow,  you may want to sand your tailgate and just make a decal for the letters

62f100.JPG

You just mentioned what I was thinking about. The painting of the letters didn't cover the inter raised portion, just part of the raised flat part. Years ago I worked for a short time at the local Water Company and one of the trucks was a base Unibody F-100 just like this kit. 

On 4/12/2020 at 11:32 PM, mchook said:

Thanks guys, I might try to scratch build a frame but for right now I need help. What can I do to fix the tailgate without messing up the letters?

62f100.JPG

I wonder what was glued there? When I restored my '61, it had some glue burn (nothing that bad) in the same spots. That's why I suggested putty and careful sanding. It can be saved. The letters on my tail gate are simply sanded back down to bare styrene.

49330628041_b2676caa31_b.jpg

On 4/16/2020 at 10:50 PM, Plowboy said:

I wonder what was glued there?

Here's what was there, not to mention a ton of other stuff everywhere else. I'm going to try & use some filler & if it doesn't work I'm just going to cut it all out & make a new tailgate. Thanks for all the help guys, I need & appreciate it.

SUNP0020.JPG

SUNP0022 (1).JPG

• 3 months later...

Very nice gift to receive. If it was mine, I would make a mold for the very back end that includes the tailgate.  Cast it, repair a casting, then cut the tail gate out and attach the casting.  That way the letters stay on the gate and have depth.  

On 4/18/2020 at 12:25 PM, mchook said:

Here's what was there, not to mention a ton of other stuff everywhere else. I'm going to try & use some filler & if it doesn't work I'm just going to cut it all out & make a new tailgate. Thanks for all the help guys, I need & appreciate it.

SUNP0020.JPG

SUNP0022 (1).JPG

Those tail lights look like they belong on a semi or something far bigger than a pick up. To bad about the damage it caused to the tail gate. 

Hi Mark, I'd like to second the proposal from dino246gt. For me it seems easier to cut out the center panel and maybe cut away the ends with the glue marks. At least it's easier to sand and maybe putty the glue marks then. To install back the center panel with the letters doesn't seem to be the biggest problem. It might be a bit more work but it's most likely worth the effort. Whatever you do, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to overcome this obstacle. Take care, Juergen

• 3 weeks later...

Cut a popsicle stick the width between the letter and the edge of the gate, start with 240 grit sand paper wrapped around the end and start  sanding. It will go faster than you think. Once the area is flat, use bottle primer and brush the primer only where it is needed. When it’s dry sand with 320, or 360 grit using the same popsicle stick, and brush prime again if needed. This way you control just what needs sanding and the brush primer keeps the primer build up from diminishing the detail around the area. Hope this helps. Here’s my 62 so far.

290881BE-80AB-4B1F-B1FC-434183047DB3.jpeg

Edited by dragcarz
Spelling

Nice work on a fun subject!  Maybe all the early 1960s Fords being built will inspire Moebius to continue their series to the older years.   

I’m getting inspired to pull out my pair of 1960 pickups. I’m thinking of using the step side from the AMT 1953 on it.