Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Beast...KW winch truck

1 hour ago, Sam I Am said:

Love what you're doing with it!

It only took forever lol fun being able to restore it ! Haven't chosen color yet, either faded yellow or red right now 

Thanks Kerry-  I've gotta swap out the exhaust manifolds to make more space, it was suggested to use ones from bandag bandit.  I'll keep eye out 

9 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Beautiful work Jeff!! On the exhaust, have you considered making those manifolds center dump and mounting the turbos in the center of the top of the manifolds?

I thought about that , but I'm even a worse plumber than carpenter...I'd end w pipes coming out everywhere lol.

I ended up scratching up an intake from photos I found waiting for daughter to fall asleep to hide her Easter basket .  Actually turned out decent 20200412_080956.thumb.jpg.105d9dfae43ab5695f21c187a9744a07.jpg

20200412_081030.thumb.jpg.77fa8b2edd2d47edbbe56a84e91e243f.jpg

Needs some putty to blend in , and the flanges w meng bolts added yet

4 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

I thought about that , but I'm even a worse plumber than carpenter...I'd end w pipes coming out everywhere lol.

I ended up scratching up an intake from photos I found waiting for daughter to fall asleep to hide her Easter basket .  Actually turned out decent 20200412_080956.thumb.jpg.105d9dfae43ab5695f21c187a9744a07.jpg

20200412_081030.thumb.jpg.77fa8b2edd2d47edbbe56a84e91e243f.jpg

Needs some putty to blend in , and the flanges w meng bolts added yet

I’m liking it!!! Looks awesome so far!! Keep them squirrels in their cages now!! Lol

I did a bunch of research on these when I built mine. Most of them have Gin Poles that rest on the bed sides. They can be flipped up to act as sort of a tow truck style boom. uB_-vi.jpg

I cut some evergreen tubing in half and glued it to the bed sides. The gin poles rest in there. I added a fifth wheel to mine but not all of them have it. You'll also want to build some sort of cage around the winch. I have since finished this truck. 

9 hours ago, am73grand said:

I did a bunch of research on these when I built mine. Most of them have Gin Poles that rest on the bed sides. They can be flipped up to act as sort of a tow truck style boom. 

I cut some evergreen tubing in half and glued it to the bed sides. The gin poles rest in there. I added a fifth wheel to mine but not all of them have it. You'll also want to build some sort of cage around the winch. I have since finished this truck. 

Thank you for info ! I may add the gin poles to mine after all. I love your front bumper its fantastic!!!!

I have a plan for building a guard around winch, and there will be spare tire mount also. 

The gin pole trucks also have versions where the pulley ends remain connected and the poles fold forward and rest on a rack at the back of the cab. Makes the gin poles mor obvious and the model more interesting IMHO.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions,  I spent more time checking out the gin poles and they add more interest to the enormous bed space , and flipped up make a statement! 

Kerry - yeah lately I've tried to stay focused on one project,  and work on that till its finished..or run out of detail parts I forgot to order lol . Theres so many projects that I want to tinker with 

The truck has its first mock up w the winch and bed tonite . Theres no channels for gin poles or structures underneath yet. The winch is a 105k from Plaskit.I just built a deck for it , raising it above the floor like most photos show them.

20200414_003319.thumb.jpg.89f65bfa920346a013eb06f5561b1015.jpg

20200414_003324.thumb.jpg.fbd71fe9725756941a559f78ae8e5a93.jpg

and.... the bed scales out approximately 20 ft 

20200414_003314.thumb.jpg.37a12258cff19c7cf17a6891c96ee66e.jpg

all that lower empty space will be tool bins chains rack  and fuel tanks . The roller frame will be built onto a bulkhead /rear bumper .

8 hours ago, Flat32 said:

This is what I was trying to describe.

Autocar Oilfield Truck | Trucks, Buses, & Trains by granitefan713 ...

Yep I completely understood your description 

4 hours ago, am73grand said:

I really like where this project is headed. I LOVE those tires.

Thanks , yeah KFS tires are awesome . Originally I had planned using their terra tires , like monster truck ...but it affected my ground clearance too much

21 minutes ago, gotnitro? said:

Kerry thanks for the suggestion also ! ?

No problem Jeff. Scroll down the page. Different styles and quantities.. I need to get a bunch someday myself. 

Oops. Hold on a sec 

Edited by DrKerry

29 minutes ago, gotnitro? said:

Awesome Kerry that's exactly the stuff I was searching for.  Every truck I've seen is covered w binders and chains for securing loads

The search function always annoys me...

No worries Jeff.. glad to help you out!!