Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mazda RX-7

asfastasu

Looooong time lurker, casual commenter/know-it-all. Been a member for awhile and thought I should post something. I have got a lot of inspiration and helpful advice from all of the posts on here, great community. Photos were taken with my phone, sorry for the quality. It's the Revellogram reissue. Body had a good twist in it and the front of the hood stuck up an 1/8th of an inch, had to massage it quite a bit. Had to strip first paint job(tamiya pearl light blue) and didn't have enough in the can for a second paint job so I used tamiya ts-1 red brown. Rotary rims are resin that I purchased of eBay, and stuck some parts bin tires on them. Mirrors are from the parts bin as well. Interior is a mix of tamiya acrylic and enamels. Windshield fit was horrible so I made my own from some clear plastic I had laying around. Put up a bit of a fight but overall I'm happy with it. Questions, comments, criticism, all welcome.

IMG_20200404_123446308.jpg

IMG_20200404_124223990.jpg

IMG_20200404_123735062.jpg

IMG_20200404_122958035.jpg

IMG_20200404_124300249.jpg

IMG_20200404_122809009.jpg

IMG_20200404_123520817.jpg

Very nice! I recently finished this kit and ran into the same problem with the fit of the hood. The frame on mine was also twisted. I like your choice of wheels. The kit wheels are too big (15” to fit generic tires) and make the model sit too high. Your wheels/tires fixed that. Well done!

Ben 

6 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Really well done despite the problems you encountered.  I like how you weathered the exhaust, rarely seen this done this well.

Thank you. Painted with testors aluminum, dry brushed testors brown for the rust and then went over it with Tamiya dark brown and black panel liner.

As mentioned by others, the paint color is not a shade often seen on an RX7, not a bad thing as it draws your attention. The trim is nice and cleanly done. One thing I noticed on the wheels is the design resembles the Rotor from the engine.   

1 hour ago, espo said:

As mentioned by others, the paint color is not a shade often seen on an RX7, not a bad thing as it draws your attention. The trim is nice and cleanly done. One thing I noticed on the wheels is the design resembles the Rotor from the engine.   

I tried to go for a period correct color, seemed like there were a lot more brown cars in the late 70's/early 80's........And you`re right about the rotary rims, they were actually available on the real cars.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...