Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1965 Ford Thunderbird Annual

RDean58

4 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

There's some really interesting decals on the decal sheet in this Thunderbird kit. Thanks for posting these images!

I wonder if Dean Jeffries knew how bad they mangled his last name on that sheet?

Edited by Dave Darby

Okay, I'm gonna ask the same question here that I posted in your '63 Thunderbird kit contents post:

To my eye, these AMT early/mid-1960's Thunderbird kits all look like they are too large overall; like they were produced at 1/22nd scale instead of 1/25th scale.  

When I see these built Thunderbird kits at contests, they look as large as a 1/25th full-size Ford Galaxie... am I crazy?

43 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

Okay, I'm gonna ask the same question here that I posted in your '63 Thunderbird kit contents post:

To my eye, these AMT early/mid-1960's Thunderbird kits all look like they are too large overall; like they were produced at 1/22nd scale instead of 1/25th scale.  

When I see these built Thunderbird kits at contests, they look as large as a 1/25th full-size Ford Galaxie... am I crazy?

The Galaxie was 6 inches longer in wheelbase [119 to 116] and about 5 inches longer overall [210 to 205.4].  The Thunderbird was not a small car.

I just checked the kits against each other and they look about right.  

So, to answer your question Mark ,, Yes, you are crazy. ?

Edited by Can-Con

Well, my wife has known that I'm crazy for over 30 years!  I guess I had this image in my head of these Thunderbird's being a "personal luxury car" meaning they were in a much-smaller-format than the full-size sedans of the same era.

I've been to dozens of 1:1 car shows over the last couple of years with my eye out for these early/mid-1960s Thunderbird's just to see how big they are in the real world, but in all that time, I haven't seen a single one! 

Guess I need to just keep looking and when I finally see one, my mind will be set-straight... (or at least a bit less off-center)! 

Edited by '70 Grande