Model Cars Magazine Forum

My wife and I are big fans of the TV show "Emergency!", and one of her birthday presents was to build a replica of Squad 51 (so it was kind of a present for me too). There were two options I knew of; a resin transkit from Three Inches Under, or a much more detailed kit from Ranger Detail Technologies. I opted for the latter because the other was spartan and I wanted more of a challenge. Boy, is it a challenge!

You can see all the detailed aftermarket parts that come with it. Some are straightforward, others are raw materials that need to be cut, bent, and sanded into shape. For those who are interested in getting one, THIS IS NOT FOR THE FAINTHEARTED. I bought it 2 years ago, and it has been a source of frustration that I keep trying to start on again then putting off. Now that I'm spending more time indoors, I took it upon myself to tackle this beast head on. I know the swearing and the sweat will be worth it.

It doesn't help that the donor kit is fiddly and soft on detail. I used the AMT 1978 Dodge Lil Red Truck, not a glowing example of 1970's model technology. But now that I had that, the kit, and a can of Tamiya Italian Red, I was eager to get started.

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

First, the cabinetwork. This is mostly sheet styrene, included in the kit with a template. The "doors" are dimpled plates with holes drilled in to accommodate the slam locks. The fenders were 1/4 round strips that are supposed the be gently bent into shape, but disintegrated when liquid cement was added. I found a plastic ring that was close enough to the dimensions and used that instead. (That part isn't in this picture.)

IMG_0701.JPG

Edited by 1967RMP
Needed more info

The chassis (so far) has been the most frustrating part. It needed to be lengthened and modified to accommodate the dually wheels. I swapped the wheels and tires in the kit for similar ones from the AMT 1996 Dodge Ram Dually snap kit. The undercarriage is a mess, but I'm not going to drive myself crazy with an area no one is going to see (I don't want them picking up the model anyway). 

IMG_0699.JPG

The interior turned out nice! The kit came with a proper 1972 dashboard, which after a little TLC fit just fine. I added a steering column and some door cranks and other details to the door insides. The bench seat and the radio equipment are out of the parts box.

After a test fit of the cab, chassis, and cabinetwork, I got everything to work together. The cab and cabinetwork are now red, and next stop is putting the cab pieces together.

IMG_0706.JPG

I'll be watching this one,

Was fun in 1972 using the MPC pick up, Plastistruct butyrate plastic sheets, and only the TV show and TV guide for references. Hand made twin sonic, AMT Ford siren and radio heads, Aurora 1/32nd fire truck wheels and tires, fire extinguishers,  and railings. IMC Dodge running light and rearview mirrors. JoHan spotlight, light bar lights and supports. Dry transfer letters. Punch out dots for door handles.

P1000498.JPG

Edited by GLMFAA1
more info

2 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

I'll be watching this one,

Was fun in 1972 using the MPC pick up, Plastistruct butyrate plastic sheets, and only the TV show and TV guide for references. Hand made twin sonic, AMT Ford siren and radio heads, Aurora 1/32nd fire truck wheels and tires, fire extinguishers,  and railings. IMC Dodge running light and rearview mirrors. JoHan spotlight, light bar lights and supports. Dry transfer letters. Punch out dots for door handles.

P1000498.JPG

Wow Greg, that's awesome! At least I have the internet which makes research easier.

Edited by 1967RMP

33 minutes ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Now here's an idea: Have Round2 tool up the squad body add it to the old MPC 1972 Dodge pick up kit and label it a Coca-Cola service truck

We will take it from there.

greg

Now there's an idea!

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2020 at 2:31 PM, 1967RMP said:

The chassis (so far) has been the most frustrating part. It needed to be lengthened and modified to accommodate the dually wheels. I swapped the wheels and tires in the kit for similar ones from the AMT 1996 Dodge Ram Dually snap kit. The undercarriage is a mess, but I'm not going to drive myself crazy with an area no one is going to see (I don't want them picking up the model anyway). 

IMG_0699.JPG

Nice build!  Awesome looking interior! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

I'm currently in the process of getting my own Squad 51 build underway.  I purchased a utility box off eBay from a local seller, it looks similar to the Ranger one.  It's made of sheet styrene as well.  I don't have to stretch the chassis though. I decided to use the 78 Dodge D100 pickup kit from MPC instead of the Red Wagon kit.  The box fits like a glove, wheelbase matches, and I don't have to stretch the driveshaft or exhaust.  I might have to shorten my driveshaft actually to fit the transmission I'm using, the MPC kit comes with a 360 engine w/manual transmission and I'm going to use a 440 w/automatic like in the real thing.

11 hours ago, slusher said:

Watched this show since I was a kid so this is.very interesting!!

Me too! Never missed an episode. It’s been quite a challenge to get pictures and screen shots of the Squad as it appeared on TV. Most the pictures online are of the Squad after its restoration and they didn’t restore it back to how it was on the show, they made some changes.  I’m building mine to match how it was on the show. 

E.J., it’s important to remember the Squad used in filming the series went through some minor changes from one season to another, so the thing to do is focus on your preferred version and model that. The changes were extremely minor - mostly the configuration of equipment carried in the bed and the “biggest” being the type of two-way radio antenna on the roof.  Otherwise, the rig(s) appear the same for a modeler’s purposes.

The biggest errors Squad 51 modelers make are (1) getting the running boards wrong and (2) getting the compartment body wrong.  Los Angeles County fabricated both in their shops. Thus, any commonly / often used running boards and compartment bodies from parts boxes, sourced from common kits, or scratch built without good reference materials just don’t accurately capture the real deal.

The Ranger Detail Technologies Kit nails replication of the real deal. 

4 hours ago, Danno said:

E.J., it’s important to remember the Squad used in filming the series went through some minor changes from one season to another, so the thing to do is focus on your preferred version and model that. The changes were extremely minor - mostly the configuration of equipment carried in the bed and the “biggest” being the type of two-way radio antenna on the roof.  Otherwise, the rig(s) appear the same for a modeler’s purposes.

The biggest errors Squad 51 modelers make are (1) getting the running boards wrong and (2) getting the compartment body wrong.  Los Angeles County fabricated both in their shops. Thus, any commonly / often used running boards and compartment bodies from parts boxes, sourced from common kits, or scratch built without good reference materials just don’t accurately capture the real deal.

The Ranger Detail Technologies Kit nails replication of the real deal. 

Totally agree.  For example, I purchased a set of running boards from Three Inches Under and while they look good, they don’t attach directly to the rocker panel of the cab, they‘re supposed to hang down a little lower, so I’ll have to modify that. The utility box I have is flat, the doors aren’t pillowed, but I’ll live with that unless I can come up with a way to make that, maybe airbrush the illusion.  

There are also two different type of side view mirrors along with the different antenna thru-out the show. Interior door panels in some shots are red while in other episodes they are black.  The pillar for the butterfly window is similar, red or black. The bed in the restoration only has the tanks and tool box, it omits the extinguisher at the very end. Also, the rear bumper has hooks at times and other times, no. From what I remember, three different Squads portrayed 51 in the show so that might account for the differences.  I do have my Code 3 1/64 Squad to use for some reference but that was patterned after the restoration (it has dual exhaust), but still a good replica. 

The two different mirrors could be from Jack Webb using stock footage from the other trucks. Sometimes the shots from the interior to the front show the older style hood from the 70 squad. I found this photo with the rear with the fire extinguisher, note the different license plate. The equipment that was stowed in the catwalk was the result of making the paramedic right side of the squad.

1874256750__57(3).jpg.6f1de2231f48680bd22f281644db092b.jpg  

BTW: That is not the way to put on a hare traction splint!

P1020671.JPG.68307ce1c4c5b7109d89204be31ca2e4.JPG

Just a photo of another one of my squads. 4 door used for training

greg

Throughout the series, the mirrors match what is in the picture you posted, but I’m going to check the later episodes. Note the red reflector above the tail light as well.  Station shots with the Squad also show those mirrors.  I think when it was restored, the mirrors were changed, have to do some more research. Those are the mirrors I plan to replicate. 

The crew cab squad looks awesome!  

Edited by E.J.