Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1998 Trans Am

mustang1989

5 hours ago, randyc said:

Nice build!   I built one when they were new and they come out really nice.   And yours is looking great with all the detailing.  

Thanks Randy. This one has been a mostly relaxing build. The one thing that needs to be paid close attention to is the chassis to body fit. All kinds of stuff to line up and get right. Throttle body to air intake duct and then the proper alignment of the front and rear of the chassis to not only facilitate the installation of the front and rear facia but also the rear of the chassis has a tendency to be offset from one side to the other resulting in a slight twist of the frame. I'm having to make some corrections back there now to establish equal tire to wheel opening clearances for both sides. Really frustrating after getting this far into the build but I'll get past it.

3 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I did some searching and can't find it available anywhere. BUMMER!  I want to build it to replicate my 2002.

It's a bit out of the ordinary in looking for one of these. One would think that you'd look for 1998 Trans Am but instead you have to search for 1998 Firebird Ram Air. Weird ….but they start showing up when you use that. I got REALLY  lucky, I got this one given to me by BigTallDad for free. 

Here are several on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=1%2F25+revell+1998+firebird+ram+air&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=revell+1998+firebird+ram+air+

On 6/19/2020 at 3:25 AM, Dann Tier said:

....i think i just came up with a way!!!

Looking forward to seeing your take on this build Dann! 

On 6/19/2020 at 10:45 AM, TransAmMike said:

Thanks  Joe,  Wow, the prices.  I'll be looking at the auction.

No problem Mike. Did you ever find anything? 

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Hi Joe.  Last night I was the winner of the kit on ebay auction.  Thanks for giving me the advice to find one.  I only hope I can do as awesome a job you're doing on yours.

Glad to see you found one Mike. I'm sure you'll do 'er proud.

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

This is my car that I'm gonna replicate. Joe, am I to understand that the muffler on the model has a single outlet?

Yes. But check THIS out. Here's a listing for a rebuilder glue bomb Camaro with a dual outlet exhaust on ebay. True it is a POS build but it has the exhaust you are looking for. It fits right in place of the single outlet and with a little sanding, drilling and some aluminized paint you'll be all set.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-25-scale-Camaro-rebuilder-model-kit/114269983481?hash=item1a9b0592f9:g:khwAAOSwZrRe5nwP

On 6/24/2020 at 7:14 PM, TransAmMike said:

Thanks Joe, I'll check it out.

Let me know if you found anything Mike.

This is going to be my last update before I post the finished pics. I've just got some work to do on the dual outlet tail pipes that I robbed from the Revell 2000 Camaro SS kit. There are still a few touch ups and minor details to take care of but she's all but done now.

I'm just glad I chose to lower this one some. I hate to think of how high up it would've sat if I didn't.

2MGq21.jpg

E4V5tY.jpg

7 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Looks great Joe!

Thanks Chris!! 

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Yep Joe, looks great.!!  I'm glad you mentioned about the lowered stance.  I'm finishing up the 67 Corvette convertable model and I think the stance is too high on it but it's too finished to change.  Oh well.

Thanks and man do I ever here you about being too late to do anything corrective wise. Been there and done that!!!