Model Cars Magazine Forum

4 bay "Day 2" Hobby Garage

Bills72sj

With my Freightliners wrapping up, I have decided my (FIRST EVER) diorama is to be my next project. I am combining AMT's Tip Top Garage with, Testors/Fijumi garage and tool shop #430. I am robbing the wall cabinets from a race car semi trailer plus some of the tools. I also have some random ebay items to mix in as well. It has to fit into my display cabinet so I will need to keep it space limited. I am shooting for 4 bays with 3 lifts and some tire equipment. Follow along if you are interested.

IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1300.JPG

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG

1 hour ago, Shambles said:

Off to a good start. I had to get rid of one (real) car and move my diorama to the garage.

That is not likely to happen here. Both my wife and I are very fond of keeping our cars in the garage (unlike most of my neighbors)

Me too, but I had two cars and a pickup and a golf cart. My Silverado stays in the driveway and my Corvette and golf car still stay in the garage. It's climate controlled so it's comfortable year round and I have plenty of room for my diorama out there. 

Had the day off due to a sore back from overworking it on Saturday. Broke down and masked the 3D printed 4 post lifts for painting. I want all 3 lifts to be the same color so I am priming all the pieces white. They will eventually all be dark blue with some portions safety yellow. I also painted a few items that needed to be white. Unfortunately my pre-painted refrigerator did not go well so it is in the purple lake. I hope it survives.

IMG_1305.JPG

IMG_1304.JPG

Cool! I like your paint box too. I've got one out in the garage that I use a lot. I thought about getting a 3D printer, but didn't know how much I'd use it, and they ain't cheap! In the last year, I splurged on the MicroMark' decal maker package so I can print decals with a white base coat, and a Wondercutter, also from MicroMark. That pretty much wiped out my budget for a while!

3 hours ago, Shambles said:

Cool! I like your paint box too. I've got one out in the garage that I use a lot. I thought about getting a 3D printer, but didn't know how much I'd use it, and they ain't cheap! In the last year, I splurged on the MicroMark' decal maker package so I can print decals with a white base coat, and a Wondercutter, also from MicroMark. That pretty much wiped out my budget for a while!

Thanks Shambles I built it last fall. I was looking into getting a 3D printer too. I wanted rectangular headlights for my Freightliners and KWs REALLY BAD! Fortunately Auslowe makes them in resin which saved me the trouble. I have been ordering some diorama items on ebay and the quality of the 3D printed surfaces is hit and miss. I avoid body putty and sanding because it is such a hassle to me. I have been making my own decals for awhile with waterslide paper and an inkjet printer. While I have the artwork side of things figured out, I have to deal with color limitations. (No white, silver or gold etc).

That's why I splurged on the decal printing package from MicroMark. It came with at white cartridge for the laser printer that you can swap out with the black cartridge. It's a little tedious, but you can run the paper though the first time with the images converted to all "black"... which prints white if the cartridges are swapped. Then, run the page through again and print the 4 color process. Works pretty good but the registration is a little squirlly on the really small decals.

IMG_7244.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I want my items to look more realistic so I figured I would add some logos and warning stickers. After snagging some from the internet, I manipulated the files and down sized them via print size NOT file size and created them in exactly the sizes I wanted in pretty decent resolution.

IMG_1331.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...