Model Cars Magazine Forum

4 bay "Day 2" Hobby Garage

Bills72sj

On 6/24/2020 at 2:55 PM, charlie8575 said:

There is some very high-quality work here. The magnet idea is an interesting one.

Charlie Larkin

Thank you Charlie. I have been enjoying the project. I have some detailed items I should have done any day now.

Detailed up a few more items. Added an argon tank to the Miller TIG welder and attached hoses to it. Fabricated some colored hoses and attached them to the oxy-acetylene regulators. I didn't like how the flammables locker sat directly on the floor so I gave it a cove base. I also attached the spare argon tank with removable safety chain.

Welders 1.JPG

Welder and torches.JPG

Edited by Bills72sj
Add pics

On 7/3/2020 at 7:19 PM, Bills72sj said:

Detailed up a few more items. Added an argon tank to the Miller TIG welder and attached hoses to it. Fabricated some colored hoses and attached them to the oxy-acetylene regulators. I didn't like how the flammables locker sat directly on the floor so I gave it a cove base. I also attached the spare argon tank with removable safety chain.

Welders 1.JPG

Welder and torches.JPG

Some very realistic looking pieces you have there, Bill....... nicely done.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the back wall. It suffered from a severe case of mission creep. At first I was going with 3D printed windows and license plate decals on sheet aluminum. I still had lots of empty wall space so I added some road signs. After that it was street signs with the actual font used in the U.S. I was getting the hang of water slide decals on aluminum, so I added a few auto manufacture signs. The windows needed frames so I stained and clear coated some real wood. The scenery behind the windows is actually from a calendar. I took awhile, but I actually came up with an appropriate name for the shop and made a framed sign for it. Comments welcome.

IMG_1430.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to attaching magnets to various items to stabilize them. For those of you curious about my mini-magnets and hidden metal floor idea, IT WORKS GREAT! I used 3 different adhesives depending on the application. CA glue, Clear Gorilla glue and Plastruct Bondene. The pics show which items got them so far. The drill press, the shelving unit and the heater unit needed it the most. The 2 post lift is also much more stable.

IMG_1450.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

On 7/27/2020 at 9:19 PM, Sam I Am said:

Sounds great, let me know when its finished and I will bring it over

Will do. Should be pretty soon. I just finished the left wall. On a separate subject... If you have experience using an airbrush maybe you could teach me some pointers. The kit I ordered is supposed to be here Friday.

12 hours ago, gasser59 said:

Hey Bill, this is just plain off the charts. So I went back through this thread to see if you mentioned where you got the block walls. I didn't see it so could you share that info?

Brad, Sure. I was eyeballing a lot of G scale brick sheets on ebay but never pulled the trigger. (My diorama already blew WAY over my original budget), Anyway, my "brick" walls are simply PREPRINTED paper I got from Hobby Lobby or Craft Warehouse for around $1 a sheet. There is no texture or relief to it. It is just an illusion. I used Pioneer brand 'Embellishment Glue Stick' which applies like Chapstick. It is applied to standard white foamboard which is lightweight and stiff. It adheres well and doesn't wrinkle the paper due to moisture like Elmers glue would.

7 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Brad, Sure. I was eyeballing a lot of G scale brick sheets on ebay but never pulled the trigger. (My diorama already blew WAY over my original budget), Anyway, my "brick" walls are simply PREPRINTED paper I got from Hobby Lobby or Craft Warehouse for around $1 a sheet. There is no texture or relief to it. It is just an illusion. I used Pioneer brand 'Embellishment Glue Stick' which applies like Chapstick. It is applied to standard white foamboard which is lightweight and stiff. It adheres well and doesn't wrinkle the paper due to moisture like Elmers glue would.

Absolutely brilliant work you are doing here, Bill...... just a word of caution on the subject of foamboard. You may be aware of this already, but I put on an exhibition of my Hooper & Co dioramas at a Rolls-Royce venue last year, and it was inside a marquee during mid to late June.... the humidity was so great that my foamboard backing boards warped terribly, and gradually the displayed project tried to self destruct before the very eyes of visitors.

You might not be too worried about this humidity factor, in which case please disregard my ramblings!

David

15 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Absolutely brilliant work you are doing here, Bill...... just a word of caution on the subject of foamboard. You may be aware of this already, but I put on an exhibition of my Hooper & Co dioramas at a Rolls-Royce venue last year, and it was inside a marquee during mid to late June.... the humidity was so great that my foamboard backing boards warped terribly, and gradually the displayed project tried to self destruct before the very eyes of visitors.

You might not be too worried about this humidity factor, in which case please disregard my ramblings!

David

David, Thanks for the heads up. We have pretty decent humidity here in Oregon most of the year. However, in my house the HVAC system keeps it around 50%.

Excellent garage diorama, Bill...... loads of detail to observe for the viewer. This one of yours is approaching completion, as you say........ whereas my project continues as a never ending work in progress.

I can see that you must have really enjoyed constructing the diorama, and I do wonder where you might go with your next project?

David

11 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Excellent garage diorama, Bill...... loads of detail to observe for the viewer. This one of yours is approaching completion, as you say........ whereas my project continues as a never ending work in progress.

I can see that you must have really enjoyed constructing the diorama, and I do wonder where you might go with your next project?

David

David, Thank you for the compliments. I do have one more detail to attend to which is a transparent ceiling with LED lighting. However, I have finally have it assembled enough to make it presentable. I am display space limited so I have actually had to leave out some features (Rest room, office space, exterior etc.) One of the reasons I built is was to have a background to photograph completed builds (WIP too I suppose). Here is a link to the completed build in sunlight.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/154551-grand-opening-of-the-american-restomod-workshop/