Model Cars Magazine Forum

Le Mans 930 Turbo 1975, Fujimi, 1/24

Inspired by a recent edition of Octane, which took this beastie for a test drive, I decided to build one of my Fujimi "911 Turbo 1976" kits as the Le Mans GTX class winner from 1975. I particularly liked the fact that it was was raced as pretty much the regular road car, with rear seats, tartan doorcards, winding windows and even a radio fitted. There's a roll cage, and some minor body mods, but a class winning "run what you brung" is a rarity at le Mans, to say the least... You can read more about it here: https://www.tartantarmac.com/readers-cars-1975-le-mans-winning-porsche-930/

valance-1.jpg

valance-with-intake.jpg

valance-with-intake-2.jpg

Probably the most obvious modification is the chin air intake and smooth valance. It's nothing like as aggressive as the 934s or 935s to come, and the air dam is the sames as the road cars... very restrained.

body-shell-1.jpg

body-shell-2.jpg

The front fenders on the kit body didn't look right to me. The wheel arches are IMHO too tall, and too rectangular. The curve of the arch should be concentric with the circular wheel, with a constant gap between tyre and the top part of the arch. I added some plastic card, and handily discovered a cylindrical sanding attachment for my drill that happens to be just big enough to use to shape the arch into a circular section.

front-wheel-with-real.jpg

Time for a second round of sanding, but we're getting there...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon
Duff gen

Thanks all... slow progress, since my day job has got a lot busier in the world of Covid-19. But I have mostly been going through several rounds of body shaping:

body-in-white.jpg

body-in-white-left-profile.jpg

body-in-white-low-front.jpg

body-in-white-rear.jpg

body-in-white-topdown.jpg

If you look closely at the front in that last picture, you can see where the extra lights are going to go. Picking up a just-started "rally" 2.7RS in a charity shop for £5 as part of my on-going Singer project has yielded up a good few handy spare parts for this project, like the spotlights and roll cage...

This is the full fat version Enthusiast Kit... not much point in doing the first Turbo 911 at Le Mans without the Turbo! I think this is the best representation of the engine in a 1/24 car kit that I have ever had the pleasure of building.

engine-unwired.jpg

engine-unwired-underneath.jpg

Mostly Humbrol "Polished Aluminium" with a wash of Citadel "Nuln Oil" to pop out the relief. Still some detail painting to do...

engine-with-distributor.jpg

Distributor ready to wire the plugs. The right hand side leads go over the fan casing, and the left hand side along that "gutter" below the "plugs."

blue-tartan.jpg

I have made up some material ready for the door cards, too...

best,

M.

I normally hate those reviews that begin "Construction started with the engine, which was almost a kit in itself..." But in this case, it really is. The beating heart of the 911 Turbo is a complex beastie, but Fujimi really have made a great job of it...

engine-with-two-hoses.jpg

engine-with-two-hoses-from-rear.jpg

I'm paying the price for wiring the distributor and plugs, but fortunately I manged to rejig things so the wires to the left cylinder bank could squeeze under the left tube (which I think feeds air over the hot exhaust manifold to the cabin heater, if I remember the teardown I used for reference rightly...)

engine-with-turbo-3.jpg

engine-with-turbo-2.jpg

Upper pipework and turbo fitted. Its most solid location is into a socket on the flat rectangular section pipe at the bottom, and the narrow pipe goes into a D-socket on base of that cylindrical part sticking up at the left.

engine-with-turbo-hoses.jpg

engine-with-turbo-hoses-2.jpg

Last two ducts bringing air to and from the centrifugal blower. Considering that this kit predates widespread CAD, it's extraordinary how well the multipart pipework all fits together. Any problems I had are almost certainly due to the plug wiring, not the original design...

engine-done-from-high-left.jpg

engine-done-head-on.jpg

engine-done-from-top.jpg

engine-done-from-right.jpg

A dust down and some final touch up painting, and it'll be ready to be installed in the car...

best,

M.

Finally got back to the bench to make some progress with body and chassis:

suspension.jpg

And a very quick (and wobbly) mockup, just to see how it looks with wheels in place...

mocked-up-with-wheels-1.jpg

mocked-up-with-wheels-2.jpg

mocked-up-with-wheels-3.jpg

The wheels are intended for a sporting Firenza, but they were the only 15" BBS wheels I could find with five lugs instead of the big centre lock nut that Porsche used on the 934/935s...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

chassis-with-engine-1.jpg

chassis-with-engine-3.jpg

The engine fits in remarkably well... very impressive engineering that gets the two rear crossbeam mounts (the black dots in the angles of the frame corners at the back) in place along with the transmission mounts underneath and the gear box linkage all lined up.

test-fit-chassis-in-body-3.jpg

test-fit-chassis-in-body-2.jpg

test-fit-chassis-in-body-6.jpg

test-fit-chassis-in-body-5.jpg

test-fit-chassis-in-body-4.jpg

The wheels are just push fitted, and need some fettling, but it's starting to look the part...

best,

M.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice!  I'm working on finishing the Rally car now.  I sterted it a long time ago with less skills and it is going to show in the finshed car unfortunately.  but this kit is going to be finished.   Yours is inspiring to get me to the next checkpoint.  I'll finish the stage eventually.  lol  I wish I could justify starting again from scratch.  These are such nice kits.