Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well, Friday started off Badly. I had to put a dog down.

stavanzer

Our Siberian Shepard had an 8:30 am appointment to have a lump on her chest examined. Fearing the worst, I took my 24 yr old son with me to the Vet. (it was nominally his Dog and he did name her 10 years ago). Like most Dogs she was really Mama's Dog, Living for my wife really.

Freyja,(the dog) liked him, and tolerated me, but she LOVED my wife. She was extremely protective of my two grandchildren, who spend every day with us, and I know that her fierce, Deep Bark, caused a couple of young folks to pick another house to possibly break into.  She was without a doubt, the best, smartest, most protective, gentle dog, I've ever owned. She loved my Grandkids, and I have no doubt, would have given her life for them if need be.

The Mass on her chest was given a quick biopsy. It was a tumor, and for another $500.00 I could find out if it was malignant or benign. It had grown from Marble Sized to almost Tennis Ball Sized in less than 2 weeks. There was no need to guess........ She suffered from the typical German Shepard Hip Dysplasia (pretty badly), so there was not much choice. My son and I said good bye, out side our car, and then they took her into the Vet's Office to put her down. Due to the "Blah-Blah" COVID restrictions, we could not even go in and hold her. She died among strangers. Kindly Strangers, but strangers nonetheless.

It is going to be some time before I get another dog. Due to the neighborhood we live in and it's slow but visible slide downhill, I'll need to have another Big Dog to protect my wife. But I'm not ready to have one just yet.

My other 2 dogs, the Chihuahua, and the Dachshund Mix, are both over 14 years old.  I'll have some ugly choices with them, sooner than I want. But for now, I grieve for the Best Dog I ever had, and most likely will ever have.  Not ready to face another puppy right now......

Thanks for letting me vent.

I've had 2 shepherds, Leroy and Solo. They're wonderful pets and both of them were protective of my wife, like yours. I feel your pain. It was a hard decision to make. I've had to have 2 cats put down. I know what you're going through. This awful virus just added another layer of anguish to the whole situation. My thoughts are with you in hopes you'll find some peace soon.

Alan, so sorry for the loss of your dog. :(

That has to be THE toughest thing to ever do. I have three cats and the oldest one is about 11. I can see her slowing down as she doesn't rip and run like she used to. I try not to think about it, but I know there will come that time I'll have to face it.

I agree with Carl........not long after my one cat died years ago, I got another one not very long after. She's the one I mentioned above and it did help. Pets are like members of the family. Those who aren't cat or dog people don't understand that, but they truly are like little kids.

Sorry to hear your story and hope you feel a little better sharing it with us. I have 2 Westies that are 12 years old and I always tell everyone they'll live forever. My wife is afraid for me when "that" time comes and so am I.

This had to be one of the hardest days of your life. The lose of any pet but especially one that is such a major member of your family is hard to describe. You loved this Dog and to do what is best so that they will no longer suffer is heart wrenching for sure. She will always be in your thoughts, there will be many "remember when moments" and tears shed and laughs shared.  We had a beloved Lab that we had to put down over twenty years ago and we still have those moments. Even his Vet. said he had more personality than most people. They are furry little people who love you unconditionally and ask so little in return as you mentioned. Please accept my condolences for your lose.       

In a way losing a pet is like losing a son or daughter. I mean it's not as bad as that, but it can be near that. I heard and believe that because our pets always rely on us humans that is similar to losing a person we are caring for, just as it is harder on a caretaker when the person passes they are taking care of, it's harder to lose a pet for some of the same reasons. My wife and I lost our 13 year old Australian Healer Jack just about a year ago and I still want to bawl when I think of him..  I don't think non pet owners can understand. My sympathies Alan.

I don't have to imagine the pains that you're feeling , my brother . 

My eyes are welling-up as I type this ; I recently lost my cat of 17 years . 

I had her put-to-rest on 11th August , and I'm not going to recover from that .

The only thing that's helped keep me somewhat together is that I KNOW that her Spirit is free .

I have a 'Feline Shrine' arrangement for her ; it's got three Maneki Neko statues around ( a big , gold-coloured one whose right arm is raised [ Chinese ] ; a small one with a mallet in her right hand , left hand is raised , and there are a brood of kittens at her feet [ Vietnamese ] ; and a 'traditional' Maneki Neko statuette whose left arm is raised [ Japan ] ) . The big , gold one is watching-over the cedar box of Molly's ashes ; the other two , smaller cats are on either-side , standing-guard .

But , I digress...

My sincerest sympathies  , Alex , for the loss of your companion . 

Rest-assured that animals' Spirits are strong . Even in your physical-absence , they are aware of how your feel for them .

207497363_AngelKitten.jpg.ba5575d28e7c8a3bdf55f1d12455b6e5.jpg

• 4 months later...

And, now Dog #2 has to be put down.14/15 year old pure bred Chihuahua. "Louie K. Blooie" A badly behaved, but sweet tempered dog, he was 3lbs of joy. His job was to sleep in my lap, and beg for treats. He Excelled at both.

Kidney Stones and a slipped kneecap (leaving three legged) got him yesterday.

At least this time the Vet let me hold him. He got a can of Vienna Sausage before we went to the Vet. I had figured this was going to happen.....

Sorry to hear that......

Part of having our cats and dog is fantastic.....the other part is horrible.

I did the same thing in FEB....took our Newfoundland to vet with hurt leg. Vet said snake bit...needed surgery. OK then they found she had a lung issue. We had to put her down.

Doubt I'll ever have another dog....fear none would live up to Pris.

Again....a sad day but you gave her a GREAT life!! all we can do. 

11 hours ago, alexis said:

This leaves us down to one dog. My wife and I just agreed that there will be no more dogs in our house. Saying Goodbye is just too hard. I missed Louie this morning. Normally by now he is begging to be fed. Not Today.. Not ever......

Why? You two are obviously awesome dog parents. Don't think so much about how hard it is to say goodbye, think about how much you can do for a shelter dog or two. With the pandemic and now the fires, there have to be many amazing dogs available in shelters or to at least foster for a while and enrich their lives and yours. Nothing is forever, enjoy life while you can. Not scolding, just hoping that you think again about adopting a shelter dog.

My amazing neighbors adopted a few shelter dogs over the years. The relationship was always too short, because these were always "damaged" older dogs that they were able to give a much better life to for at least a little while.

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

Why? You two are obviously awesome dog parents. Don't think so much about how hard it is to say goodbye, think about how much you can do for a shelter dog or two. With the pandemic and now the fires, there have to be many amazing dogs available in shelters or to at least foster for a while and enrich their lives and yours. Nothing is forever, enjoy life while you can. Not scolding, just hoping that you think again about adopting a shelter dog.

My amazing neighbors adopted a few shelter dogs over the years. The relationship was always too short, because these were always "damaged" older dogs that they were able to give a much better life to for at least a little while.

This.  Even if you save just one rescue animal, that is one that found a good and loving home.  Not only do my wife and I have 3 rescue cats, it is a very comforting feeling that we gave them a loving home when they might not have found one otherwise.  Another dog or cat, just like another child, is never a replacement for your lost pet.  I still sometime find myself waiting for Jasmine to wander into my Computer room here, and she's been gone for years.  But I love the other three just as much as I loved her, just in different ways.  Another pet isn't going to be a replacement, just another venue to spend your love on.

Don't wait, it only makes it harder to get another futty friend in the end.

Know this from experience as we haven't had another pet in over 20 years.

Had too long to think about it and now can't face the chance of another loss.

Guess part of that may have to do with age and not rebounding from loss like I did when we were younger.

All of our last three Dogs were shelter animals. The Cat was destined for the Shelter, as well, before we adopted it.

Believe me, I know the whole shelter issue very well. But, we have looked at the last 25 years of pet ownership, and decided that we are done with being Pet Owners, for the time being. I'm tired of stepping in "accidents", cleaning up other "accidents" the general hassles of owning dogs'n'cats. 

We have the one last dog, Five Parakeets, and One African Ring Neck Parrot. The birds are much easier to keep than the dog. And, my wife likes the Parrot better.