Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dave and Edie Cox`s : High Country "Thunder Van" On the Workbench 4/12/20

Hello All........I haven't been around here in a long time......but, I`m back and ready to start building again.......I am building this: Dave and Edie Cox : High Country "Thunder Van " from the late 70`s early 80`s........it was built by Dave Cox and driven by his wife Edie Cox.......I thought it was a very cool project to build.....I tried looking for Dave on the Internet and was almost there finding Dave but, I came to a stand still.......so I had to call my good friend Steve Allemand from the FBI ......Steve is  good at finding stuff......so I need to thank Steve for the help......thanks Steve........Steve found Dave Cox on Facebook and gave me the Info: on him.......I contacted Dave and started talking to him about building  a 1/25 scale model of it.......Dave was thrilled and gave me his blessing to build it and sent me a bunch of reference pics to use.......Dave and Edie are in there 80`s now......and still very happy in love......I will try and build a cool replica for them to be proud of.......I`m starting with a box part Van body and a AMT Anakin Star Wars Podracer with some very cool wheels that my good buddy gave to me to use, you know who you are......thanks for looking

DSCF0752_zpspdj96u4z.jpg

DSCF0751_zpsrlvymtbw.jpg

DSCF0750_zpszfgcwov7.jpg

Edited by John Teresi

4 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

Good to see you back at the bench John !

Cool project I will need to watch for sure...

How did your move go..painless I hope ( I hate moving)...

Cheers 

Wasn’t to bad.....just the painting and fixing up took awhile....but, we’re happy now.....thanks

On 4/12/2020 at 4:11 PM, John Teresi said:

yes, it does......I need to modify it to resemble the 1:1 Van

Why not use the body from one of the AMT Ford vans that are on the market right now?

If you need a longer wheelbase body you could easily graft two together.

Hello......thank you all so very much for the welcome back and kind comments...... I really do appreciate them......I finished the body......I just need to re-scribe the doors and primmer and putty......I will start on the chassis next......thanks for looking

DSCF0753_zpshzjduus6.jpg

DSCF0754_zpsqnyebpbx.jpg

DSCF0755_zpszpzefuer.jpg

DSCF0756_zpswntuypbz.jpg

DSCF0759_zpsfojkq4ug.jpg

DSCF0762_zps8orhxlfp.jpg

John.... you aren't messing around at all are you ?.... Holy smokes you are already kicking butt on this build. It's off to a great start and looking great.  Looks like you pretty much have the body done and are ready to start on the chassis. Keep up the Killer work 

On 4/16/2020 at 4:26 PM, Can-Con said:

Why not use the body from one of the AMT Ford vans that are on the market right now?

If you need a longer wheelbase body you could easily graft two together.

That would have been the logical choice, given (a) the real thing was based on one and (b) the Ford reissue is cheap and readily available.  

I'm not seeing any resemblance here - the hood on the 1:1 is flat like the original Econoline, continuing the belt line, not dramatically sloped down like this?