Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dave and Edie Cox`s : High Country "Thunder Van" On the Workbench 4/12/20

Hello......Thank you all so very much for the kind comments......I really do appreciate them?......I got a good start on the Chassis......I made the front end suspension and the rear end......I made the seat ,instrument panel, fuel tanks and tins that surround the driver......I will make the body tins next......then I will add all the fine detail......thanks for looking.

DSCF0780_zps7stg1i2r.jpg

DSCF0782_zpsgeovrmq7.jpg

DSCF0783_zpscwiy82dw.jpg

DSCF0784_zpsncsjkd0s.jpg

Why do I know so much about this vehicle? Because I’m the “current” owner and have had it for the past 14 years. John, your doing a wonderful job building the model. I know Dave is proud of what you’re doing. The jet van is a 1979 Ford Econoline van powered by a Westinghouse J34-WE-34 turbojet engine with afterburner. The engine was built on April 9, 1951. The Jet Van body (shell) is of the original design but chopped and channeled. The current interior was professionally built from the ground up (chromoly tubing) by Dave Cox. The Westinghouse J-34 is an eleven stage axial flow turbojet engine that generates 3500 lbs. of thrust, with the afterburner it delivers over 6500 lbs.(approximate)! Maximum speed is governed by the limitations of the tires (300 mph). It really puts on a fantastic fire, noise and smoke show! Oh yes, an absolute thrill to drive as well. I met both Dave and Edie when I purchased it. Both are wonderful people that have lived life to its fullest. To see videos of it in action go to YouTube and type in: wright attitudes jet dragster or rocket city thunder.

Hello......thank you all so very much for the kind comments.....I really do appreciate them.....I did a little work on the rear of the  Body......I also made a Fuel Pump ,Brake and Parachute Handles and a brake pedal......made a starter and motor mounts and a few other things......I will start on at the plumbing next.....thanks for looking.

DSCF0840_zpshk0dbwfi.jpg

DSCF0839_zpszdxrxwyf.jpg

DSCF0838_zps2xbo9grt.jpg

DSCF0837_zpslxewirxj.jpg

DSCF0836_zpsagiborvh.jpg

On 4/30/2020 at 5:39 PM, Current Owner said:

Why do I know so much about this vehicle? Because I’m the “current” owner and have had it for the past 14 years. John, your doing a wonderful job building the model. I know Dave is proud of what you’re doing. The jet van is a 1979 Ford Econoline van powered by a Westinghouse J34-WE-34 turbojet engine with afterburner. The engine was built on April 9, 1951. The Jet Van body (shell) is of the original design but chopped and channeled. The current interior was professionally built from the ground up (chromoly tubing) by Dave Cox. The Westinghouse J-34 is an eleven stage axial flow turbojet engine that generates 3500 lbs. of thrust, with the afterburner it delivers over 6500 lbs.(approximate)! Maximum speed is governed by the limitations of the tires (300 mph). It really puts on a fantastic fire, noise and smoke show! Oh yes, an absolute thrill to drive as well. I met both Dave and Edie when I purchased it. Both are wonderful people that have lived life to its fullest. To see videos of it in action go to YouTube and type in: wright attitudes jet dragster or rocket city thunder.

Very cool that you dropped in, Paul! If you've seen any of his other projects, you know this one will end up very nice. Wish you weren't so far away, as this would be a cool one to see go in person!

Hello.....Thank you Chris and Art......I really appreciate you guys checking in?.......I got the frame painted and the front axle on......I need to add a few pieces to the front end ......I also got the wheels mocked-up.......thanks for looking

DSCF0857_zpsfuwzmytw.jpg

DSCF0855_zps6ccet4gt.jpg

DSCF0848_zpstxznegfh.jpg

DSCF0850_zpselascbre.jpg

DSCF0844_zpsxudmxkxc.jpg