Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hawaiian 1/16 Funny Car Build

Hey guys, I just started a new build, Revell's 1/16 hawaiian kit.

I assembled the chassis and while doing so dropped the height of the roll cage and raised the rear end mounts to fix the ride height issue these kits have. I also started on the engine and added gaskets to the oil pan and heads.

I also wanted to make the wheels as I hadn't done a 1/16 set before so I started on those. They'll be a satin centreline in aluminium which I'll do in my 60 year old wobbly lathe.

I roughed out one of the rears and I might do a front next.

It won't be nearly up to the standard of  some of the projects here but I'll keep the build realistic for me to do in a reasonable time frame. 

Thanks for looking.

Jim

20200413_021901.jpg

20200413_022019.jpg

2020-04-12 21.20.42.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys, I'm really enjoying this build. The following pics show what I've been up to.

Made a rear brake line which came up ok. Took a few tries but it will do. I drilled wheel stud holes in the rear wheel then moved onto the front ones. So I now I have one of each. No stud holes on the fronts, I used some PE bolt heads instead.

Also got the harness finished in the seat area, now I have to attach it to the chassis. It's a 1.12 scale MFH harness but it looks ok I think. Not too large.

Thanks for looking

Jim

2020-04-15 02.08.38.jpg

2020-04-15 02.09.19.jpg

20200415_021747.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Majel, I'm really happy with the wheels so far, hopefully I can match the other two because I do it freehand.

The brake line is .025" stainless safety lock wire with the kit black rubber hose on each end. The brackets are 3 x 1.12 moto GP exhaust spring hooks.

Thanks for looking 

Jim

You have an excellent start. I will be watching as I have this kit and I plan to build it in the nearish future.

I'd appreciate more specifics, if possible, on the changes you made to the roll bar and rear end mounts. I'm not familiar with the kit so I was unaware it was "off".

2 hours ago, Codi said:

Certainly liking it too Jim.  Nice color on that frame as well.  cheers, tim

Thanks Tim! I've followed your builds for years and builders like yourself inspire me to go to greater lengths

Jim

Thanks Roadrunner and DPNM, I really  appreciate the kind words.

DPNM the kit isn't 'off' as such but when built has a very high ride height. If you look at reference pics of funny cars from this time, they sat pretty high but these kits build up really high!

I'm not usually someone who builds for historical accuracy but more about building what I think looks good. For that reason this kit will sit as low as it can which will definitely be lower than the real deal ever was.

I'll post some pics of the areas I've changed so you can compare to your kit. The rear end mounts, the cage drop and the rear body mount are the start. After that the front body mount and seat need fixing.

20200420_111123.jpg

20200420_111141.jpg

2020-04-20 11.13.25.jpg

• Like 1

I haven't been back to the lathe yet to finish the remaining wheels but haven't been without results.

I fitted the engine oil lines, filters and fuel tank, then made a supply line to the fuel pump. I made a fuel tank hold down strap from a coke can and tried bead rolling. It came up just ok but I'll keep it on there otherwise this build will take years.

Because I changed the ride height the seat needed modifying for drive shaft clearance. You can see the relief in the front of the seat and I pushed the base up also.

I didn't like the kit drive tube much so found two aluminum tubes that would telescope and fitted those.

Thanks for looking.

Jim

20200419_140357.jpg

2020-04-20 10.44.58.jpg

2020-04-20 10.43.51.jpg

• Like 1

Great progress on the charger!! Did some of these when they first came out, and recently did another. Ride height always looked wrong on all the kits. Never did the axle relocation, I modified the tinwork to drop the height. Something else I did was add the reinforcing strip along the bottom of the rocker panels, this also gives the look of a lower ride height.

zgNg7M.jpg

Don

• Like 1

Thank you very much for adding the pics so I have a better understanding on what you've done so far Jim. Your ruler intrigued me also. Looks so much like it would be good for working in scale I bought a small one.

15 hours ago, DPNM said:

Thank you very much for adding the pics so I have a better understanding on what you've done so far Jim. Your ruler intrigued me also. Looks so much like it would be good for working in scale I bought a small one.

Glad it clicked a gear for you! Being an engine and carb guy day to day means quite a few tools that cross over to models!

Jim