Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hawaiian 1/16 Funny Car Build

Thanks Sflam and GoatGuy, I appreciate your kind words.

I've had a heap of 'normal' work to do lately so the funny car isn't getting as much love as I'd like but I've still been able to knock over some more.

Got wheel studs and nuts done for the rear, the size is metric M1 x 5mm. I just drilled the brake hats using the wheel as a guide.

Got a start on steering arms and radius rods. I measured the kit arms by mistake ( they don't fit this model and found out the hard way) so instead trial fitted each to see how far different to make them. Then cut the kit arms leaving a little of the original arm and joint. After this I cut .080" aluminium tube the the length needed and glued the joints in the tube. I think they look much better. Then trial fitted before painting the ends. I also drilled the ends to use nuts and screws. Metric M1 again. The pictures are of different arms at different stages so I hope it makes sense.

A length of the .080" tube replaced the steering box shaft as well.

Thanks for looking 

Jim

20200423_014807.jpg

20200420_193930.jpg

20200420_193847.jpg

20200423_020333.jpg

20200420_200157.jpg

20200423_020429.jpg

• Like 1

Nothing revolutionary in this update, just painting little plastic parts and sticking them on.

Made a chute release handle and started the fuel shut off lever then run cables for both.

Thanks for looking 

Jim

20200424_133949.jpg

• Like 1

I've been still doing a bit on this build but it seems slow the last couple days. 

Refined the barrel valve, ran cables for fuel shut off and parachute. Mounted the brake cylinder and ran a steel line from .020" wire. Ran port nozzle hoses and port distribution block. Just used the kit black hose which does look a touch large but I'm not redoing anything on this one.

Thanks for looking

Jim 

20200427_000354.jpg

20200430_204033.jpg

20200430_205825.jpg

20200430_205845.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Coming along nicely! Looks great!

Thanks Dragcarz! I appreciate your kind words, been working a fair bit so modelling time has suffered a tad.

14 hours ago, Mooneyzs said:

Jimmy.... hey it's great to see another 1/16 Scale build on here. As many know Inam a big fan if 1/16th scale. This build is coming along very nicely. Keep up the great work.

Hey Chris! Thanks for checking it out and your positive words. I'm a big fan of 1.16 scale builds. The Atlantis gossip in the last week was interesting, I hope it develops further. I followed your army vega build and I quite often go back to see how you did certain things. It still impresses me and I think I notice something new each time. This one wont be may be as fine in the detail but together a little quicker than your build I hope! 

Jim

21 hours ago, 1320 said:

Thanks Dragcarz! I appreciate your kind words, been working a fair bit so modelling time has suffered a tad.

Hey Chris! Thanks for checking it out and your positive words. I'm a big fan of 1.16 scale builds. The Atlantis gossip in the last week was interesting, I hope it develops further. I followed your army vega build and I quite often go back to see how you did certain things. It still impresses me and I think I notice something new each time. This one wont be may be as fine in the detail but together a little quicker than your build I hope! 

Jim

You are Welcome Jim, just like you I am a huge fan of 1/16th scale builds. What's this Atlantis gossip?? I haven't head anything about it. Thanks for following along on my Army Vega Build. I appreciate the kind words. If you ever have a question on how I did something feel free to ask me.  I will do my best to explain how I did it.  Really looking forward to more updates on your build.

1 hour ago, Mooneyzs said:

You are Welcome Jim, just like you I am a huge fan of 1/16th scale builds. What's this Atlantis gossip?? I haven't head anything about it. Thanks for following along on my Army Vega Build. I appreciate the kind words. If you ever have a question on how I did something feel free to ask me.  I will do my best to explain how I did it.  Really looking forward to more updates on your build.

Sorry mate if I was vague, I assumed you would already know about it. When the Revell deal folded up, Atlantis models acquired the molds for the 1.25 and 1.16 Dragsters and Funny cars. They have recently been been looking at the viability of releasing a Vega funny car kit in 1.16 and approached Chuck to do the decal design. Some other guys are doing tyre samples. There is talk about a chassis kit also.

There's a stack more to it but everything I've heard is 2nd, 3rd and 4th hand information so could all be hot air. I'll just wait and see.

Jim

Edited by 1320
Edited spelling

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi all, it's been quite a while since I sat down with this one, I dug it out last night and I'm chasing up some lathe time to finish the wheels off. Since I started the build I sold my lathe due to massive downsizing and moving lots. However I have access to machinery again now which is nice, I can go further with it. The pic below shows where I got up to a few years ago. 

IMG_20230415_080903.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...