Model Cars Magazine Forum

'72 Chevy shortbox stepside

I've been tinkering with some of the '70/'72 cab parts  and the built chassis from a Revell  '65 chassis I have.

Check out the fit after just clipping a bit off the front of the frame rails. Looks like they were made for each other. Even the engine is right where it should be. 

You could just build it like this or address the inaccurate inner fenders. Either way, it's an easy swap. And, yes, I'll be swapping out the rear fenders for a set of the correct year.
2v2HwCyW8x2A694.jpg

2v2HwCyqdx2A694.jpg

2v2HwCy5rx2A694.jpg

Edited by Can-Con

6 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Cool, yet another Classic series Chevy pickup!   You already ground off the door handles.  ?

I actually cut them off and used them on my '68. ?

I may use another cab,, or make a set like someone else here did. ?

9 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I actually cut them off and used them on my '68. ?

I may use another cab,, or make a set like someone else here did. ?

That was me, couldn't resist not dripping a hint. ?  I've got another builder here who will get them.

IMG_1446_Fotor.jpg

1 minute ago, 89AKurt said:

That was me, couldn't resist not dripping a hint. ?  I've got another builder here who will get them.

IMG_1446_Fotor.jpg

Yea, I did remember ,, that's why the winky smiley face.  ?

Not sure I can pull it off though ,, we'll see.

Your photo of the chassis got me to wondering how well the chassis from the '84 GMC would work under one of these bodies. It already has the right wheelwells up front. Just have to convert it to a 2wd or one could build it as a 4wd. Did the '67 and up short bed Chevies have a carrier style driveshaft?

Edited by Plowboy

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

Your photo of the chassis got me to wondering how well the chassis from the '84 GMC would work under one of these bodies. It already has the right wheelwells up front. Just have to convert it to a 2wd or one could build it as a 4wd. Did the '67 and up short bed Chevies have a carrier style driveshaft?

I haven't tried it myself but I understand it will fit. 

I really couldn't say about the drive shaft. I've really never gave it much thought, really.

On 4/12/2020 at 8:52 PM, Can-Con said:

Here's the look I'm shooting for. 

I found this pic on the net but I've seen this truck in person a couple times and just fell in love with it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1058009&stc=1&d=1360523514

I have seen this color many times on these Chevy trucks and I love it...

On 4/13/2020 at 8:58 AM, Plowboy said:

I am working on such a build right now- 84 GMC chassis with a 72 Cab and resin short bed. Might also build a second one with the step side, not sure. The wheel base is correct and yes, it has the correct wheel houses too. I am going the 4wd route and might build the step side with the lifted shackles and big tires.

• 5 months later...

Did a bit on this last weekend . Decided to use this MPC cab and interior instead of the newer AMT cab shown above. 

It is a bit rough compared to the unused cab but the grille and front bumper I want to use belongs to this cab.

Did a bit of body work. 

Also rounded up most of the parts I'll need for this build. 

Unfortunately, the only MPC hood I have has a large hole in the center.  I'll have to fill it. Either with some sheet plastic or a large blower. ?

IMG 2855

Opened up the grille from an AMT Blazer and removed it from it's surround. 

I'll grind out the existing grille from the MPC part and swap this one in.  It looks better to me but I may swap the bow-ties as the MPC one looks better proportioned.

IMG 2856

Here's my widened fenders. Doing the math, the assembled box would be 5 scale inches narrow as came in the kit.

I added about 2.5 scale inches to each fender. Looks better to me and now the math works out.

IMG 2857

Edited by Can-Con

Steve, you mentioned the Blazer grille and I was thinking about it the other day. It has separate lenses and reflectors. But, they have holes that would need to be filled and pins on the lenses that would need to be removed. Does it not fit the MPC or AMT body very well? 

12 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Steve, you mentioned the Blazer grille and I was thinking about it the other day. It has separate lenses and reflectors. But, they have holes that would need to be filled and pins on the lenses that would need to be removed. Does it not fit the MPC or AMT body very well? 

Not really. It's a touch too wide.

BUT, about 15 years ago I did cast the grille from an AMT '70 Blazer a buddy of mine had. I got one good piece from my castings but ,, too big.

Guess what? Smooth-on resin shrinks slightly over time. That grille has now shrunk enough that I can fudge the fit by sanding the sides and I'll now be able to make it fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Filled the big hole in the hood, added some material to the front and back ends and re-did the ridge up the center.
2v2HWNHvox2A694.jpg

2v2HWNHUyx2A694.jpg

I also have been working on the underhood area. Smoothed off the firewall and filled the cut-out with a piece of sheet stock.
Also making new inner fenders using the inner fenders cut from the chassis plate of an MPC '79 Trans Am widened with sheet stock.
It's just roughed in now and will need more work before I even think of paint.

2v2HWNH95x2A694.jpg

2v2HWNHuNx2A694.jpg

2v2HWNHJrx2A694.jpg

2v2HWNHH8x2A694.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...