Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone know what this toy concept-looking SUV might be?

That's what this eBay seller is asking  https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANYONE-KNOW-WHAT-THIS-IS/124145998809  about what looks like a soft plastic toy car body on a 4x4 kit chassis.

Sometimes the toy manufacturers do a halfway decent job of replicating actual cars or car concepts. I have it stuck in my mind that the body is a 'sorta copy' of an AMC mid-70s SUV concept, but I can't spot anything like that in Google image searches, so I'm probably wrong about that …. it still looks familiar for some reason.

1415639362_WhatzitSUVtoy.jpg.479c3b61c176949f5f4a0d7a7dd1f14a.jpg

54 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

1/25 is “Big Scale”? ?

Guess it is compared to some other scales...

That was to differentiate it from the "normal" 1/32 scale snap together kits in AMT's then-current lineup.

19 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Old AMT kit based on a Jeep 4x4 chassis. No description on the box or instructions to the origin of the design.

Wow - thanks!  Can't say that I remember seeing it as an AMT kit, but if I did 30+ years ago, maybe that's why "Jeep" was stuck in my mind.

My lucky day, I’ve been looking for one of these at a reasonable price. I hesitated for a little bit wondering if I was snatching it away from you, but figured I’m probably the only idiot who would think $20 was a good price for this thing.

1 hour ago, FredRPG said:

My lucky day, I’ve been looking for one of these at a reasonable price. I hesitated for a little bit wondering if I was snatching it away from you, but figured I’m probably the only idiot who would think $20 was a good price for this thing.

Fabulous! Nope, no need for it myself, I just thought it might be interesting to tap the knowledge base here. Glad to know it is going to an appreciative home!

I have two of this kit and agree it does look like some sort of AMC concept vehicle but nobody could identify it when I asked same question years ago. Or MPC was just looking to put out a quick cheap snap kit without paying any royalties. I believe it was only issued once.

I bought it to be part of my Jeep / dune buggy collection and was looking at building a detailed model out of it with a better interior and engine bay. The engine bay is a one piece insert like on a cheap diecast, interior has big flat parts lacking any real definition, and if I remember correctly, no inside door panels. I was toying with the Jeepster kit as the donor.

The other thing that bothered me was the lack of rear window so I cut one into mine.

F429A1E6-425B-4852-9034-C554E8D461AA.jpeg.4d3bed70a4c9880fd3f99e9213e767b5.jpeg

The rear treatment that just was odd to me.,

684E44C3-72B3-4D24-A2F1-38B945CC7388.jpeg.3cd0e5c3cd2d0f19ca2f8639f956cfc4.jpeg

My fix.. the first thing I did to it!

Here’s an album I did with photos:

https://public.fotki.com/ModelCitizen/model_cars/amt-top-1/

Edited by Tom Geiger

4 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

There is one I won't be begging for Round 2 to reissue. .....

That's very true. What got me wondering, unsightly as this thing is, is whether I saw a full size concept car version of this, or if I saw the kit itself 30 some years back and the memory warped into one where I thought I remembered it being full size. It just looks familiar for some reason, particularly in the taillight area.

Just looked at a mega car styling links site courtesy of another MCM thread here, and its Concepts tab collection includes Jeeps, where this entry for "Jeepster II" http://www.carstyling.ru/en/car/1979_jeep_jeepster_ii/ had this drawing. I wonder if the AMT designers lifted most of the appearance from that concept drawing.

1897210189_1979JeepsterII.jpg.75314ebbabaff9a88fbe3c1574673842.jpg

Edited by Russell C
typo

• 1 month later...