Model Cars Magazine Forum

Forum Loading and Navigation Sloooooow

afx

I've been having issues since the last forum update with the pages loading very slow.  The issues occurs on both my home and work PCs.  Anyone else having issues?  

Edited by afx

9 hours ago, Khils said:

Have you checked your available bandwidth or switch channels on your router? 

The issued occurs over two completely separate networks.  My home PC and router and my work PC and network.  It almost seems like my account is being monitored or throttled for some reason.

The speed depends on many variables:  things like Internet traffic congestion between this site and your computer and even how many people are using this site.  For example if overnight there are 100 active users and during the day, there is 800, they website will be slower handling all those users.  I don't know this website's computing power, but I'm sure is  nowhere near what Google or Amazon have for their websites. :)

18 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Still very slow here. Either W10, Chrome or android. It is this site...all other forums I visit daily, email, ebay, fotki etc...all fast.

Not a complaint as I was a DBA in the real world....just info for those working on it. 

Dave - Is it individual threads or just certain parts that are slow. Several members have reported "Unread Content" loads slow.

On 4/22/2020 at 1:31 AM, Dave Van said:

Bingo!  I should know to be more exact!!! Forum comes up well.....hit 'unread content' and I wait 30 - 60 seconds.

I have exactly the same problem; Safari on a Mac and Firefox on an iPhone. Very slow loading of "unread content" and  "load more content" in that list...

best,

M.

We definitely have some kind of performance problem with that page. Please make note of the time and your timezone when that happens. A less than rigorous look seems to suggest that the slowness is associated with high load on the server. That isn't surprising. We're getting a lot more traffic these days. 

At this point, we're hypothesizing that there is one thing that will help; marking the site as read. There are 2.2 million posts, and if you've never marked the site as read, some vast number of those are coming back when you ask for unread content. If any of you would like to try it, please do. Read as much as you want, then mark the site as read. The link is in the upper right corner of the page, underneath the search box. Please let me know if you try it, and whether it stays working. 

2 hours ago, dodgefever said:

That (marking as read) seems to have done the trick, thanks.   Must remember to do that periodically.

Thanks! That's good to know. The forum software vendor wasn't being at all helpful. If you never marked the site as read, then you probably have a couple million posts lurking in the background, even if they aren't displayed. Processing those takes time, even if they aren't getting displayed.