Model Cars Magazine Forum

I Made It Thru The Storm...

Ramfins59

Hello everyone...  I'm happy to report that I made it through my heart surgery, not without some drama, but I'm now home and recuperating nicely.  The triple bypass surgery was back on February 26th.  After it was done they moved me from the Recovery Room into ICU.  There my right lung collapsed and they had to fix that.  Then my heart stopped beating for about a minute and they had to do CPR on me to get me running again...  That explains why I had such pain in and around my rib cage as they most likely either cracked or broke a couple of ribs.

I spent 2 weeks in the hospital and then they sent me to a Rehab Facility for a week to get me up and moving again.  I am home for several weeks now and have finished with an in-home Physical Therapist. and an in-home Occupational Therapist.  I still have a visiting Nurse coming in once weekly to check me out.

I'm extremely thankful for all of the prayers and well wishes from everyone, and especially for the talents and skills of the surgeons, doctors and medical staffs who worked on me and helped me through this ordeal.

Another side note......  I had what I'm hoping was my last cigarette on February 25th, the day before my surgery.

Please stay very well everyone.

Congratulations and wishes for a long term recovery!  One piece of advice from someone who has battled heart problems for over 30 years.  Be vigilant!  Falling back into old bad habits is like starting over again and is insidiously slow.  We also tend to do what we have always done.  It takes more strength to break those habits that it did to acquire them.  Be strong!

Glad to see you posting!

I've been keeping advised of your progress through Tom V.

Hope you are feeling well enough to get back to building, and can spend your former cigarette money on new models!

And sorry you came through everything to step out into this brave new world! Stay home and stay safe!

Great to hear you came though it all. My wife says she knows what you are going through and wishes you well and sends her prayers.

Bet you can feel the difference now post surgery and realize how bad it really was before!

My wife's next surgery has been put off due to this coronovirus stuff.

Thank you all again for all of your very kind remarks and well wishes.  I'm feeling pretty good overall, but just still don't have a lot of energy.  I'm getting around OK mostly with a cane, sometimes with nothing.  I folded up the walker last week and feel pretty secure getting around without it.  I don't really even miss the cigarettes at this point although I do think about them at times.  I'm keeping my weight down to 172 lbs. even with picking at some chocolate now and then.  

I'm sort of proud of myself for my will power over the past years....  I've lost a bit over 70 lbs. over the past 2 years and kept it off (I started at 245 lbs.)......  I haven't used a drop of salt on or in my food since last September (I used to salt everything before I even tasted it).  I haven't had a cigarette in almost 2 months so far.  Here's hoping that all this "good stuff" continues.