Model Cars Magazine Forum

‘65 A/FX Satellite rear floor - carpeted?

Not sure about that particular A/FX ; however , it would appear that there's some carpeting in the rear (likely , and ostensibly , cut-back a little) . 

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/969251/1965-plymouth-belvedere-a-fx-for-sale-in-indianapolis-indiana-46205

Note that this car appears to have been an automatic originally ( note its shift quadrant on the column ) , and that it had was appears to be a Verti-Gate or Ram-Rod shifter (no 'reverse-lockout' lever ; those weren't required until 1968).

I would guess that the vast majority of the FX/altered wheelbase cars were virtually gutted, if not from the outset, very shortly, thereafter. Weight was "the great satan", and anything you could do to get rid of it would be done, especially if it was something as simple as tearing out carpet! It's one step--"tear it out!" ?

Thank you, everyone, for the interesting discussion, viewpoints, and images. 

I am going to go the route like the pictures provided: Painted wheelhouses, “carpeted” floor section, and “fiberboard” for the trunk panel/package shelf. I hope to achieve this by using varied shades of Tamiya acrylics. 

Thanks again! 

On 4/15/2020 at 10:27 AM, MeatMan said:

From what I know about the 65 and 66 AFX rules, they had to have carpet and two seats.

The next gen AFX cars went straight weight savings and were the predecessors of funny cars with the full race setup.

Didn’t they also require some sort of exhaust system to be in place? But it was easily disconnected?  The Ford Thunderbolt had to have one to meet the rules. 

Interesting that the mule has red interior (no disputing that point) , as I thought that red was "reserved" for the Coronet 'WO51' of 1965 .

Side Bar : I wonder why the quarter "wind wings" windows were eliminated during the Amblewagon modifications ? Was that a concession to the Lexan (?) door glass ? Weight-reduction ? 

I also wonder about what appears to be either a Ram-Rod or Verti-Gate shifter . I know that those 833's were "Slick-Shifted" ( a/k/a , "Crash-Box" ) --- when did those "gate" shifters appear ? 

On 4/16/2020 at 1:42 PM, Brutalform said:

Didn’t they also require some sort of exhaust system to be in place? But it was easily disconnected?  The Ford Thunderbolt had to have one to meet the rules. 

No exhaust, at least for 65 on.

On 4/15/2020 at 10:35 AM, Straightliner59 said:

I would guess that the vast majority of the FX/altered wheelbase cars were virtually gutted, if not from the outset, very shortly, thereafter. Weight was "the great satan", and anything you could do to get rid of it would be done, especially if it was something as simple as tearing out carpet! It's one step--"tear it out!" ?

Not for AFX, they had to keep a semblence of stock for 65/66. Now as previously posted the carpet didn't have any backing, and I'm sure the seats had a lot of inner working pulled out but the rules called for them. In my research I was able to photograph a real one and it was all there. The Quiet One II unrestored.

20180730_140112.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

On 4/16/2020 at 10:42 AM, Brutalform said:

Exhaust was a SS class rule. Not required  on the AFX class cars ,,,also,,,keep in mind the AFX class cars were relegated to match race cars pretty quickly after introduction

8 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Not for AFX, they had to keep a semblence of stock for 65/66. Now as previously posted the carpet didn't have any backing, and I'm sure the seats had a lot of inner working pulled out but the rules called for them. In my research I was able to photograph a real one and it was all there. The Quiet One II unrestored.

I stand corrected. I was thinking of the later altered wheelbase cars that morphed into FCs.

Remember, the white golden commandos car was a test mule. So it is possible that it had a red interior because it wasn’t the A990 interior. Also remember that no 2 pictures of a car are the same because drag racing was progressing at light speed. So the cars were changing on a weekly basis. 
Here is an interesting summary of the process Chrysler did to convert the cars into A/FX drag racers.

http://www.speedcityresin.com/BelvedereAfxers.html

12 hours ago, drag racer 15 said:

Remember, the white golden commandos car was a test mule. So it is possible that it had a red interior because it wasn’t the A990 interior. Also remember that no 2 pictures of a car are the same because drag racing was progressing at light speed. So the cars were changing on a weekly basis. 
Here is an interesting summary of the process Chrysler did to convert the cars into A/FX drag racers.

http://www.speedcityresin.com/BelvedereAfxers.html

Excellent point.