Model Cars Magazine Forum

postage from the US to the UK

I have just been chatting to a guy about getting a few model parts for the Badman Gasser kit. nothing big and heavy just the front axel and wheels and a few other small bits. He said the parts would come to $10. Which I think is not to bad really. Then I asked how much would it be on the postage! He just came back to me with a price of $75 !!! Now I know that the exchange rate is a bit up and down at the moment but seriously. I can buy two full kits for that price . Whats going on with your postal service? Somebody is getting very rich off you guys

2 minutes ago, 72 Charger said:

Whats going on with your postal service?

Depends upon which specific USPS service you choose. USPS First Class is about $14 from the U.S. to the U.K. for a five ounce package measuring 7" x 5" x 3". There is no insurance with that however, so if it get lost or damaged, the seller/sender is on the hook for it. USPS Priority Mail is significantly more expensive for the same size package, likely closer to $35

21 minutes ago, 72 Charger said:

He just came back to me with a price of $75 !!!

Somebody is getting very rich off you guys

Sounds more like he’s trying to get rich off YOU! ?

No way is that price right - could nearly UPS or Fedex them on a 2-3 day service for that price 

That price seems reasonable for an overnight overseas shipment.

If you want to get an idea of how much U.S. Postal Service charges for various shipment options, just go to their website and calculate postage.

https://postcalc.usps.com/

You will need a ZIP (postal) code for the "from" location, but you can look that up. You could use any U.S. ZIP code - the price for overseas shipping won't be very different.

You will also need estimated weight ans package size.  Again, you can make some guesses.

Edited by peteski

I recently sent some parts to a guy in Japan by way of the USPS  for 27 bucks and he got within 2 weeks.  I don't  know why people complain about the USPS.   I just read another news article about it going belly up and Jeff Bezos buying.  Our postage rates will go through the roof too.

I don't recall the specific's now, but last year I was trying to send some parts to someone in the UK . I couldn't believe what the USPO wanted for postage. I think if a half dozen of us were to send a small package overseas they could pay off their debt and retirement fund needs with the charges.    

You guys are like a bunch of old ladies rambling on. Go to the site I mentioned and calculate the cost.  It is *THAT* easy.

For example, here I tried a 1lb package from USA to UK.  Depending on the type of service, the cost ranges from $99 to $25.

See for yourself:  Link to 1lb package postage cost from USA to UK.

Some of the other  shippers (UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.) might have lower cost options, but more of a pain in the butt to deal with. Any yes, cost of postage hes been on a fairly dramatic raise for some time now.

Edited by peteski

It costs 24 bucks to post a 1/24th  car kit from the US  to Ireland or the UK with normal  postage, no insurance , no anything.

They always arrive.

He's riding you Dave.

I won't get into any arguments over that price, just had two over to Dublin recently, 24 bucks each.

I just made a trade with Dave. I sent him a 1/24 model kit in it's box to give you a size and weight reference (1 pound 1.8 ounces).

I looked at the USPS International shipping site and only got confused. I took my package to the PO. The Postal worker figured out the cost, printed the label and completed the customs form from the information I supplied. The info consisted of what was in the package (plastic scale model), value (I said $30) and if it was a gift or merchandise. I said gift.

The total to ship was $24.50. Seems reasonable considering how far it is traveling. It's about $12 and $15 difference from me shipping a package to the west coast.

Just seems to me that if Dave (or anyone in the UK) has something you want and you have something they want it's only going to cost a bit more to ship it. Depending on size and weight perhaps. This is only my example.

3 hours ago, DPNM said:

I just made a trade with Dave. I sent him a 1/24 model kit in it's box to give you a size and weight reference (1 pound 1.8 ounces).

I looked at the USPS International shipping site and only got confused. I took my package to the PO. The Postal worker figured out the cost, printed the label and completed the customs form from the information I supplied. The info consisted of what was in the package (plastic scale model), value (I said $30) and if it was a gift or merchandise. I said gift.

The total to ship was $24.50. Seems reasonable considering how far it is traveling. It's about $12 and $15 difference from me shipping a package to the west coast.

I didn't find  the USPS site confusing.  I entered the required info (not complicated) and arrived at the same price your PO clerk did.

PostageToUK.jpg.e36855a67bffb9b4e350ccdae10300b7.jpg

Of course, the simplest way (like you said) is to speak to a live clerk at the post office.  But I have seen examples of some clerks not being aware of all the shipping options (which is weird because they are all displayed on their computer screen - just like I show above). but there are incompetent people everywhere.