Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Dann Tier

McLaren F1 LM GTR - Street Version

Recommended Posts

Hey, everyone!, since i wasnt able to post photos, i started my F1, and since now i can post, here now, heres what i have done so far...

  The objective here is a street version, so all the work will be in the interior from the looks of it.

-Photo 1; Everything here is pre-assembled, minus the wing to body contact, and the doors -i Canopy glued them in place while i sanded the body even, and smooth.

-Photo 2; I have no idea what these bumps are...they are only on some of the real cars....maybe a bad representation of number lights?

-Photo 3; Something i like to do, is drill tiny holes to make it easier to locate, and attach bits...works a treat!

-Photo 4; This bit was a separate piece in the kit, but not on the real car, so some fillerin needed to be done because they didnt really line up all that great.

-Photo 5; I had to open ALL the vents you see here!....why? Fujimi has a weird way of choosing which ones to do.

-Photo 6; I opened these three too, as well as the tow slot...

-Photo 7; The angle of the rocker skirts wasnt low enough like the real car, but instead of cutting it off, i just added styrene stock to it, and it looks good with a nice ride height now.

-Photo 8; I noticed during a test fit, that there was a slight see-through crack between the body, and interior tub, so just incase, i added styrene stock as you see it -problem solved!

-Photo 9; All the arrows point to lines seams that shoulda already been there, but they werent, so i had to scribe them.

-Photo 10; Lets see what i can do with this sad engine bay...i opened the rear windows, and cut out the molded in stabilizing bar -i have a more realistic one from Plastistruck.

--Photo 11; I opened up the sides here like on the real car...

-Photo 12; ...now i needed styrene to fill in the spaces to the parcel tray areas.

-Photo 13; Here is a test fit of most of the interior bits...they all fit in harmony.

-Photo 14; I really had to chop this bugger up to get the right look. Obviously all the white bits i made, and i added the carpet trimming....its all ready for paint now.

-Photo 15; Just another angle with seat belt slots EVERYWHERE!!!...man thats tiring!...I'm also pointing at the storage areas i had to open up, I also had to scribe some seams that shoulda been there.

-Photo 16; Believe it or not, but these seats were all the same....until i tweaked the back? two....no they arent stock, but there isnt just one kind either, i often use artistic license, and couldnt give a toss if someone didnt agree, lol  I also SB seatbelts that resemble some of the real cars.

-Photo 17; In order to make the dash more realistic, i needed to scribe a seam around the top of the guage cluster. The real street version of this car has a slightly different dash, but i like this one better. Since i will be gluing the doors shut, I needed to modify the door cards...i.e., Cut all the sides off.

-Photo 18; Here are the last bits...i added more details to the peddles, and drilled out the exhaust tips for better realism...with the size they were, and how shallow they were, even flat black paint wouldnt look okay.

1__76588.1407140286.jpg

DSCF9584.JPG

DSCF9585.JPG

DSCF9586.JPG

DSCF9587.JPG

DSCF9588.JPG

DSCF9589.JPG

DSCF9590.JPG

DSCF9591.JPG

DSCF9592.JPG

DSCF9595.JPG

DSCF9596.JPG

DSCF9597.JPG

DSCF9599.JPG

DSCF9600.JPG

DSCF9601.JPG

DSCF9602.JPG

DSCF9603.JPG

DSCF9606.JPG

DSCF9605.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work so far. I built the racing longtail version. Make sure the base of the window cowling does not affect ride height. It took allot of work to get it setting right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 935k3 said:

Great work so far. I built the racing longtail version. Make sure the base of the window cowling does not affect ride height. It took allot of work to get it setting right.

Thanks alot, Bud!, and thanks for the heads up!....any photos of yours?! -you can post them here if you want!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be a fascinating build. I see the Aoshima long tail kit built so much more often than the Fujimi short tail or street car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Thanks alot, Bud!, and thanks for the heads up!....any photos of yours?! -you can post them here if you want!

The interior was done in Scale Motor Sports carbon. I think it was 41 separate pieces, templates made by tape.

Dscf6774.jpg

Dscf6793.jpg

Dscf6803.jpg

Dscf7012.jpg

Dscf7018.jpg

Dscf7022.jpg

Dscf7026.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Love those cars! I will be following another of your nice builds!

Happy to have you along, bud!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Should be a fascinating build. I see the Aoshima long tail kit built so much more often than the Fujimi short tail or street car.

Same here, bud...i dont know why either....maybe people love ALOT of decals...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 935k3 said:

The interior was done in Scale Motor Sports carbon. I think it was 41 separate pieces, templates made by tape.

Dscf6774.jpg

Dscf6793.jpg

Dscf6803.jpg

Dscf7012.jpg

Dscf7018.jpg

Dscf7022.jpg

Dscf7026.jpg

BEAUTIFULLY clean build, Bud!!!....love that livery too!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have this kit, I'll be taking notes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished this kit as the #24 car a few months ago. It’s a great kit! I built mine mostly out of the box with aftermarket decals. I didn’t have any fit problems.

I look forward to seeing your progress!

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

This is going to be cool, I'll follow along!

Thanks, Bud!....pull up a chair!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, afx said:

I have this kit, I'll be taking notes!

Sounds good to me, Bud!!...i love this kit so far!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

I finished this kit as the #24 car a few months ago. It’s a great kit! I built mine mostly out of the box with aftermarket decals. I didn’t have any fit problems.

I look forward to seeing your progress!

Ben

NICE!!...no ride height issues due to lower windscreen fitment?....can you post photos here of that Beauty?!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always enjoy following your builds. This is a subject I’m passionate about, so I was excited to see your name next to the thread title. I hope you don’t mind me clarifying some information about the F1.

“GTR” and “LM” are separate designations for different variants of the McLaren F1. The F1 GTRs are the track-only competition cars, built in three distinct specifications from ’95 to ’97. Many of the F1 GTRs have been converted to road use. The F1 LMs are the limited-edition road cars built to celebrate McLaren’s success in the 1995 24 Hours of Le Mans. These were essentially a GTR with number plates, tailored after the Le Mans winning car.

Regarding the actual Fujimi kit(s), there are a few areas that miss the mark. An easy one to overlook is the body line that trails off of the openings behind the front wheel arches. This line fades away well ahead of the rear wheel arches on the Fujimi body. On the actual F1, this line stays pretty well defined and even frames a portion of the rear wheel arch before disappearing. This detail doesn’t always show up in photos, but can been seen especially well in the following image of F1 048 (Kidston McLaren F1 048 Listing).

Kidston McLaren F1 048 Listing

I can’t take credit for this observation. Since these (and the Aoshima) kits have hit the market, I’ve studied a lot of builds and taken notes for whenever I get around to tackling mine. One the more comprehensive examples is this build over on the Britmodeller forums.

Britmodeller - McLaren F1

I’m not sure how far you intend to rework this one, so feel free to disregard the above. Again, I look forward to see what you do with this one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 10:00 AM, 935k3 said:

The interior was done in Scale Motor Sports carbon. I think it was 41 separate pieces, templates made by tape.

Dscf6774.jpg

[...]

☝️Killer workmanship!

11 minutes ago, lilcraigford said:

[...]

I’m not sure how far you intend to rework this one, so feel free to disregard the above. Again, I look forward to see what you do with this one!

I don't care what Dann thinks, I appreaciate everyone's contributions if they can help other builders.  I have the road car plus detail parts, hope to get around to this someday. Maybe when COVID-33 hits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lilcraigford said:

I always enjoy following your builds. This is a subject I’m passionate about, so I was excited to see your name next to the thread title. I hope you don’t mind me clarifying some information about the F1.

“GTR” and “LM” are separate designations for different variants of the McLaren F1. The F1 GTRs are the track-only competition cars, built in three distinct specifications from ’95 to ’97. Many of the F1 GTRs have been converted to road use. The F1 LMs are the limited-edition road cars built to celebrate McLaren’s success in the 1995 24 Hours of Le Mans. These were essentially a GTR with number plates, tailored after the Le Mans winning car.

Regarding the actual Fujimi kit(s), there are a few areas that miss the mark. An easy one to overlook is the body line that trails off of the openings behind the front wheel arches. This line fades away well ahead of the rear wheel arches on the Fujimi body. On the actual F1, this line stays pretty well defined and even frames a portion of the rear wheel arch before disappearing. This detail doesn’t always show up in photos, but can been seen especially well in the following image of F1 048 (Kidston McLaren F1 048 Listing).

Kidston McLaren F1 048 Listing

I can’t take credit for this observation. Since these (and the Aoshima) kits have hit the market, I’ve studied a lot of builds and taken notes for whenever I get around to tackling mine. One the more comprehensive examples is this build over on the Britmodeller forums.

Britmodeller - McLaren F1

I’m not sure how far you intend to rework this one, so feel free to disregard the above. Again, I look forward to see what you do with this one!

I dont mind at all....thanks for clarifying for me, i didnt know. If you've followed my work, then you know that i VERY RARELY build replica stock. I use my artistic side of my brain to build...if the design flows...has kolors that i like together...ext....i.e., i build how i would have done the real cars. Thanks for following!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

☝️Killer workmanship!

I don't care what Dann thinks, I appreaciate everyone's contributions if they can help other builders.  I have the road car plus detail parts, hope to get around to this someday. Maybe when COVID-33 hits.

...Kurt....i dont care if you dont care, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2020 at 7:57 PM, Dann Tier said:

NICE!!...no ride height issues due to lower windscreen fitment?....can you post photos here of that Beauty?!!

Hi Dann, 

I didn't make any changes to the kit, other than to fix the width and angle of the lower sills so the decals that went there would fit. I try to stay relatively close to out of the box with my car models, since I tend to go a little detail crazy sometimes on my airplane builds. If I had found that link @lilcraigford posted when I was building the model, I probably would have at least had a go at fixing the ride height. The only problems I had with the kit were self-induced, although the windscreen gave me trouble at the top that I never was able to fix to my satisfaction. 

Here's a bad cell phone shot of the completed model. I haven't had time to take some decent glamour shots with my DSLR, yet. The paint is Tamiya TS-89 Pearl Blue over a Tamiya gloss black base, with TS-88 Titanium Silver for the stripe. I used decals from Tabu Design, and they worked well.

gWZhOmF.jpg

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Dann, I always enjoy your builds and your great efforts to improve what came in the box.  I know you're not a fan of 3D for the most part but I thought you might still find this piece interesting.  There are pics of the actual printed product as well.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QY5GGYLUB/mclaren-f1-engine-v2-1-for-fujimi-scale-1-24-kit?optionId=43572309&li

https://images2.sw-cdn.net/product/picture/710x528_8723778_1589859_1459345655.jpghttps://images2.sw-cdn.net/product/picture/710x528_1732507_1589859_1507176694.jpg

 

Edited by djflyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2020 at 9:31 AM, David G. said:

Top Notch, as always!

David G.

Thanks, Bud!, i will get back to this one soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...