Model Cars Magazine Forum

A kit car Ferrari 250 GTO!

Dann Tier

Heres the kit that everyone loves to bash for the littlest reasons...mostly for the square rear end. I agree its not right, BUT it doesnt look UGLY either. Instead of fixing it, i decided to just call it a kit car, of which are actually a popular subject. I will do it curbside, as a fun, quick build.

The body is ready for decals, and clear, and the interior/chassis assembly is now ready for paint!

-Photo 2-4; This is all one mass of pre-assembly...

download.jpg

DSCF9568.JPG

DSCF9569.JPG

DSCF9570.JPG

DSCF9571.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work so far Dann. That's a good idea to represent this as a kit car. Some of those replica builds in the 1:1 world have many thousands invested in them (as a genuine GTO is so valuable). I've seen replica Ferraris with real Ferrari engines, so your model is totally feasible.

The shape of the Protar body may not be 100% according to some, but the 1:1 bodies were all hand made and no two are identical.

I really like this kit, and doesn't it have the most gorgeous wire wheels ever made in plastic!

6 hours ago, beeRS said:

Nice work so far Dann. That's a good idea to represent this as a kit car. Some of those replica builds in the 1:1 world have many thousands invested in them (as a genuine GTO is so valuable). I've seen replica Ferraris with real Ferrari engines, so your model is totally feasible.

The shape of the Protar body may not be 100% according to some, but the 1:1 bodies were all hand made and no two are identical.

I really like this kit, and doesn't it have the most gorgeous wire wheels ever made in plastic!

Thanks alot, Bud!....you are right on all accounts!!!......PE wires cant even compete with the wheels found in this kit!!!

When I researched the 1:1 some years back when this Protar kit came out, the info available said that the car was wrecked and badly restored.  Have not followed up further as it is not on the build horizon.  Each of the 36 were hand built and there are variations in each.  Great idea to do a "kit" car

18 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

When I researched the 1:1 some years back when this Protar kit came out, the info available said that the car was wrecked and badly restored.  Have not followed up further as it is not on the build horizon.  Each of the 36 were hand built and there are variations in each.  Great idea to do a "kit" car

Thanks!...it was a funny idea that made sense to me, lol

3 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Thanks, Bud!...i have 17 actively on the go, lol

Keeps you from getting fixated and frustrated right? I only have 3 actively on the go. I would put together a Ferraralotogini if I had that many on the go because I couldn’t remember what parts go with what!?

On 4/25/2020 at 10:17 AM, NOBLNG said:

Keeps you from getting fixated and frustrated right? I only have 3 actively on the go. I would put together a Ferraralotogini if I had that many on the go because I couldn’t remember what parts go with what!?

Lol...maybe...I'm pretty sure my Military service taught me that skill, lol